Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Need help hiding texts

benny

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 11:08 pm
Does anyone know if there’s any way to hide texts on an iPhone? I don’t want to delete them because I like to know I can reference back to things. My teenage daughter is going through a rough time. She likes to look at pictures on my phone and sometimes text her friends since she doesn’t have her own phone. (Not a good idea for her to have one right now). Every time she is using my phone I am afraid she will see some of my texts to her therapist and other ppl behind the scenes trying to help her.

Please help if you can think of a solution for me. Thanks you

crust

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 11:25 pm
Email the conversations or messages to yourself so it's saved and then delete them from your messages.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 11:34 pm
This won’t solve everything but change your therapist’s name on your phone to “plumber” or something so your daughter won’t be interested in seeing the texts.

Honestly, it’s still really risky.

To truly protect yourself, delete all previous messages and create a separate email address with a different app e.g yahoo, and use it just for your private emails. Log out after each use. Hide the app inside a random group of apps that your daughter won’t be interested in. Turn off notifications for the app so your daughter won’t see your incoming emails.

jewwoman

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:16 am
If its on whatsapp you can archive them and you wont see them until the person texts again.

giselle

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 5:01 am
As a therapist it makes me crazy when kids (my clients) go on their parents’ phones and look at their texts and emails. And that’s with me being very careful to only text re technical matters like scheduling.. but still things come up, and even though I’m not very responsive about issues over text, it would be so detrimental for kids to see us texting about them. Not helpful to your question, but please be careful.

monseymom25

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:01 am
If someone sends a text while she's using the phone it will pop up at the top and she'll see it right away.

positivity

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 1:42 pm
You can use the suggestion to communicate via email on your email app or install one specific email app for this purpose. You can then download an app lock app where you need a password to access certain apps.
So you're restricting apps your daughter can access and view.

mommy9

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 1:44 pm
Have 2 texting apps, lock yours with an app lock, and turn off notifications so they don't pop up when they come in . That's what I would do on my Android

benny

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 2:42 pm
I have an iPhone and there’s no way to lock the app. Her therapist is difficult to reach and text is sometimes the only way I can get an answer to questions within a normal time frame. I doubt email will work though I’ll ask her. How do I email myself the entire conversation with dates and times? I hate to delete that info. I really reference back to things.

losingweight

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 3:51 pm
How about she doesn't have the password to your phone? You can get a kosher family phone with text and talk only and use it only at home. So she doesn't have to use yours.

benny

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 4:01 pm
At this point it’s not good for her to have her own phone but sometimes she uses mine when we’re out to call her friend or text a friend or look at my pictures. And I don’t like being too strict and never let her do it. So that’s why I’m trying to figure out a way for her to be able to look at something on my phone here and there and not have my texts be accessible.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 4:35 pm
losingweight wrote:
How about she doesn't have the password to your phone? You can get a kosher family phone with text and talk only and use it only at home. So she doesn't have to use yours.

Why exactly isn’t this a good idea op?

momX4

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 5:24 pm
Can you create a guest profile or another user on your phone and give access to only certain apps

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 5:39 pm
Could you get a tablet (not a phone) that she could use over WiFi for her purposes? It doesn’t have to be HER tablet, just one she could use with permission, instead of your phone.

Teomima

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:48 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Could you get a tablet (not a phone) that she could use over WiFi for her purposes? It doesn’t have to be HER tablet, just one she could use with permission, instead of your phone.

I agree, something like this would be ideal. Either a tablet, second phone, Kindle fire, etc, that she could use. I'm really opposed to giving kids access to their parents' phones, I never let my kids play with mine.

benny

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:11 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Why exactly isn’t this a good idea op?

She doesn’t have my phone password. I need to do it for her. It mostly comes up if we’re out and she needs to call a friend or she wants to see some pictures on my phone that we took. Or let’s say Purim, she wanted to meet up with some friends when we were out to give them Mishloach Manos or send pictures of her costume to the friends we didn’t make it to.. those kinds of scenarios. I feel that once we start having a kids phone/tablet... were opening a whole new world for her. Like I said she’s going through a difficult time and the social peace is a biggie. It won’t be good for her to have access to a cell phone or apps all the time. And even if it’s password protected and she needs to have permission I do feel it will always be a battle. With my phone I can say no with no questions. I barely let her use it. But sometimes the need comes up and I don’t want to be overly strict with it.

rainbow

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:28 am
Would it make sense for you to get an inexpensive phone/plan for texting bet you and therapist?

benny

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:01 am
rainbow wrote:
Would it make sense for you to get an inexpensive phone/plan for texting bet you and therapist?

Hey this is an interesting idea. Thanks I’ll look into it.

Bruria

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 10:36 am
You can add more than one user on most phones, meaning she'll have her own pin and login and won't see anything related to your account.

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:23 pm
benny wrote:
I have an iPhone and there’s no way to lock the app. Her therapist is difficult to reach and text is sometimes the only way I can get an answer to questions within a normal time frame. I doubt email will work though I’ll ask her. How do I email myself the entire conversation with dates and times? I hate to delete that info. I really reference back to things.

You could screenshot the text messages so you'll have the dates and times and then email yourself those pictures
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics