Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are your favorite mm to get, and is that what you give?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 8:45 am
The mm I enjoy the best are: full potato kugels, a full cake, a full challa, veggie platters, and soup. The kids enjoy the junk, so I guess its good to get at least some of that. For some reason, I always give dessert food though, because I think it is nerdy to give healthy food. This year we gave out brownies, chocolate milk and Viennese crunch.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 8:53 am
I like good dairy chocolate. any shape or form. and yes, I give that. wana swap with me? I have lots of homemade kugel and cakes that I don't plan to eat. #imnotasnob

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 8:54 am
I like real food, homemade is great Smile This year we decided that that's what we'll give. We gave a small potato kugel, a small grapejuice and a nature valley bar. we thank G-d also got real food shaloch manos from other people- it was so yummy. I guess others also decided that most people prefer real food Wink

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 8:56 am
My favorite are from my aunt and uncle: a deli sandwich (with turkey/pastrami), a pickle, and a small container of coleslaw. It always gets eaten right away because we're starving for real food.

animeme

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:02 am
I like getting real food: Kugel, salads, etc. It's not what I give, though, because my sanity and life schedule does not allow for putting together and managing multiple perishable packages on Purim day. Kol hakavod to the who can.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:03 am
My faves are good dairy chocolate and good homemade baked goods.
I give the chocolate. Smile But don't have time to make the baked goods x70 and I'm not sure that the teachers and some very stringent neighbors wouldn't appreciate the baked goods anyway.

Motherhood

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
My faves are good dairy chocolate and good homemade baked goods.
I give the chocolate. Smile But don't have time to make the baked goods x70 and I'm not sure that the teachers and some very stringent neighbors would appreciate the baked good anyway.

Exactly what I like, give, and don't give!

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:12 am
Delicious homemade baked goods. I wish I was that talented but alas I am not so I enjoy when others give them.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:13 am
I give MM connected to my theme but I always love some real food. Everyone is busy eating loads of junk some real food is great for a good lunch

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:16 am
I love real food like cut up veggies or salads. I also really like things like muffins, cake, cookies. I am more concerned about food coloring and chemicals then I am about sugar.

esuss

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:44 am
I don't have time to make homemade healthy food for mm so I buy prepackaged healthy snacks. This year it was flavored seltzer and small pkg of nuts and a wafer.
My favorite to receive (and my kids too) were salads and soup.

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:00 am
Honestly I like the variety. Some kugels and cakes that can be used for Shabbos. Some small "meal-lets" that I can take for lunch over the next few days. Some candy and nosh that I can use for shabbos party and school snacks. I like getting homemade challos and rolls too b/c they are yummy. I will say that growing up in my neighborhood a lot of my mother's friends just gave some hamentashen and an orange--SNORE! This has inspired me to do more and I enjoy bring joy to others. I enjoy people telling me that they look forward to mine every year. Some people have their "regular" themes. The only thing that is somewhat "regular" in mine is a cupcake--but even that is usually different every year. I like to keep it interesting without going overboard.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:07 am
animeme wrote:
I like getting real food: Kugel, salads, etc. It's not what I give, though, because my sanity and life schedule does not allow for putting together and managing multiple perishable packages on Purim day. Kol hakavod to the who can.

Exactly the same here. I like to get real food but I don't have the time to prepare and and manage it for our own MM.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:13 am
I have to say I enjoy getting themes. I like ones with very little food In a very cute container or tray. I know sometimes these are more costly and time consuming. But I like creativity. I also like getting good chocolate, dairy. No sparkling grape juice, soda, milk juice. The little vodkas dont spoil, they look nice so I save, to pass on the next year. I give back a theme but I can't afford and don't spend a lot on it.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:17 am
I like yummy baked goods, I have a friend who makes great muffins and one who always sends a complete cake - small, but complete, like a small foil pan that's just right for one Shabbos meal dessert for the whole family. And simple, too, like from a mix. But great.

In theory I like real food like vegetables but in practice very often they aren't packaged or presented well. I haven't received enough to really know, but I do know some people send real food that I just really don't care for or that looks pathetic.

But I don't think it's at all nerdy to send what I'd want to receive, which is what I do, and I get great feedback. For several years I've made a big pot of soup and gave each person a container of soup, plus breadsticks/muffins/flatbreads. This year I did salad and I had a couple of people say "where's my soup?!" but then today I already got a text from a fellow mom-friend who said the salad was just what she needed and enjoyed. But I didn't mix the salad, which would have been gross - I sent it in compartments of lettuce, tomatoes, crackers/croutons, and a dressing in a container, with a label indicating that it was meant to be assembled into salad in case that wasn't clear.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:22 am
I got some rolls, 4 types of spread, salad & coffee. It was so good I actually sat down to breakfast. For teachers I just give a box of chocolate & tip as I don't know if they would eat homemade things.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
The mm I enjoy the best are: full potato kugels, a full cake, a full challa, veggie platters, and soup. The kids enjoy the junk, so I guess its good to get at least some of that. For some reason, I always give dessert food though, because I think it is nerdy to give healthy food. This year we gave out brownies, chocolate milk and Viennese crunch.

Not sure why any type of food would be "nerdy."

Personally the best MM we got was a fresh garden salad. DH and I were beyond delighted to have something healthy to munch at while our kids went insane over all the junk. Other years we have gotten some fresh fruit too; none this year for whatever reason. A few packs of raw or roasted nuts and a couple of raisin boxes. The rest was pure sugar and chemicals.

I think many people are like me and so happy to see anything remotely healthy (and calorie conscious) but the truth is that you can't pack up dozens of salads (or other fresh and healthy foods) weeks or even days before Purim and I just can't manage if I don't get started way ahead. So I don't give that which I would like most to receive.

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:25 am
No contest. REAL food! I got like 6 delicious dips and salsa, salads, kugel, chulent, cut up fruits and veggies, challah, and a few homemade foods I'd never tasted before, which were heaven Btw... Thanks, people who made it! We even loved the homemade crackers with poppy seeds!

giselle

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:08 am
For the most part I don’t touch the homemade stuff unless I really trust that person’s cleanliness which is rare. So while I would technically appreciate real food, I end up dumping or giving away a lot of it.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:12 am
I love to get home baked goods, those are always the first to disappear.

But I don't give them, since I know people are careful of cooked things from other kitchens. This year, I gave fruit bouquets, the last few years, salads.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics