Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Davening in Hebrew

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 8:52 pm
If you daven in Hebrew, do you understand literally everything you are saying? If not, why do you daven in Hebrew?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:00 pm
I am FFB. I used to watch in awe as a BT friend davened in English. If only my tefilla would be as beautiful as hers.

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
If you daven in Hebrew, do you understand literally everything you are saying? If not, why do you daven in Hebrew?

I've always davened with an Artscroll siddur. Recently I had a conversation with a friend who has always been a big davener, and I asked her this question. She said - of course I don't understand everything. So, now I'm puzzled as to how someone can be a "big davener" and not not understand the words. In any case, doesn't it get really boring?

For those who want to understand the words, Artscroll has many different types of siddurim -
you can be sure to find the right fit for you if you check it out.

simba

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:43 pm
I daven in the language of the siddur (I wouldn't consider it Hebrew).
I understand a huge percentage of the words. If there is a word throughout that I don't understand it is fine as I get the context because I do understand most.
I have learned most of davening throughout my school years and have a deep appreciation for the original text of tefilos.

Tehillim on the other hand...

abaker

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:48 pm
There's kedusha in saying the words in Hebrew even if one doesn't understand the words they're saying.

I do daven in both hebrew and English though. Of course I like to understand what I'm saying and by reading the English translation if I'm not sure what the hebrew means, makes it more meaningful to me.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:02 am
I do my official prayers in loshon kodesh and my personal ones in French
My father does Yiddish. My grandmother Ladino. It's normal.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:56 am
Even though I don't understand every single word , we did learn Beur Tefila throughout elementary school, highschool and seminary. So even if I don't understand every words meaning, I do understand the overall tefila that I'm saying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics