Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Gemach asking for tax returns

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 3:11 am
A local gemach with a huge amount of services is now asking for tax returns and pay stubs in order to benefit from their services.

They stated very clearly that the purpose is NOT to determine eligibility, and that they will not turn anyone away based on their income.

Has anyone ever heard of a gmach needing ppl's tax info for any other reason?? They have not been able to give us a good reason for this and although we could use the help, my husband won't give our tax info.

I spoke with a non-profit lawyer who says he'd be wary because he knows of no reason such an organization would need the tax returns of their beneficiaries.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 3:40 am
Unfortunately, gemachs in Israel and the US have been used in the past as vehicles for laundering money. The gemach may want to make sure it's only dealing with people who are completely above board.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:10 am
Not referring to monetary assistance. They give clothing, shoes, accessories, toys, school supplies, books, furniture, baby equipment etc...

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:15 am
No idea.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:38 am
I don't have a tax return , but if I did I wouldnt submit it to the gemach.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:51 am
Want to clarify also, that the items received from them are for keeping, not borrowing.

I'm having a hard time with this. It really makes no sense.
Is it possible that they can get audited by the govt or something? I mean, I don't think the govt cares who they give their handouts to...?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:20 am
Maybe they want to make sure the receiver is not taking advantage of their services.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:57 am
Why would someone be hesitant to give out their tax returns? I give it to my kids schools because that’s how getting a tuition break works. In this scenario - so what if the gemach sees my tax return?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:26 am
For someone who values the sense of dignity that comes from having privacy of personal tax returns, it's a big deal.

happyone

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:36 am
Why don't you ask them directly?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:45 am
Would you give it if you redacted your SSNs ?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
I don't have a tax return , but if I did I wouldnt submit it to the gemach.

How do you not have tax returns?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:58 am
They want to make sure you are not making $200k and asking for Gemach to help out. I’m glad they asking cause I have heard many people taking food from pantries and Gemach clothes etc and getting tuition breaks with such high income.
This whole system is so corrupt. People who actually do need and can’t afford having hard time getting it free. Those people who constantly break systems get more reacher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics