Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 YO biting

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:36 pm
I'm at my whits end.
My 3yo is constantly biting my 4.5 yo.
For anything and everything.
I have tried many 'radical' things I never would have tried. I'm desparate.
This poor baby is FULL of bite marks. I bath and put my 4 yo to sleep and then go have a cry.

It comes at the most unexpected times. In the most unexpected places. 4 yo has bite marks on the back, stomach, thighs, legs, arms, hands, even on the face and neck!
It's just plain insane!!!!

Something as innocent as taking a toy 3 yo wanted or singing a song 3 yo doesn't want/like/know will cause 3 yo to bite. And this kid chomps down HARD. Of course being tired makes the situation worse. But even when rested with toys and nice weather, it still happens multiple times a day. When tired 3 yo can bite multiple times an hour.

I need help.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:52 pm
OP, what have you tried so far?

ETA: If he's biting an older child (4-1/2 year old) what is the older child doing back? And maybe it's the older child who is instigating?

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:56 pm
Have you ever tried biting back?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:01 pm
Separating without comments.
Talking. (Saying no. Telling 3yo that it hurts. Showing 3yo how sad and hurt 4yo is.)
Talking.
Talking.
Timeout.
(Here comes the stuff I did when I felt desparate)
Yelling
Treating 4yo with a goody (mint candy)
A few specks of black Pepper in the mouth. It worked for a good few weeks but now it started again. 3yo just swallows it, shrugs those tiny shoulders and moves on.
Potch
Telling 4yo to fight back

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:02 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
OP, what have you tried so far?

ETA: If he's biting an older child (4-1/2 year old) what is the older child doing back? And maybe it's the older child who is instigating?

4yo instigates sometimes. 4yo is only a child after all. But the majority of the time it's nothe instigated.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:04 pm
I'd get a large jar full of amazing goodies and treat 4 year old every time he gets bitten. Really good stuff that'll have 3 year old drooling. This is besides 3 year old getting time-out. And be super consistent.

amother
Emerald

amother wrote:
Have you ever tried biting back?

I closed my teeth in 3yo's finger once. Not a real bite. (Maybe it should have hurt more. Who knows.)
3yo cried "you hurt me. Mommy bit me. Ow!"
So I explained same thing it hurts your sibling.
Didn't help at all.

amother
Tangerine

amother wrote:
Talking. (Saying no. Telling 3yo that it hurts. Showing 3yo how sad and hurt 4yo is.)
Talking.
Talking.
Timeout.
(Here comes the stuff I did when I felt desparate)
Yelling
Treating 4yo with a goody (mint candy)
A few specks of black Pepper in the mouth. It worked for a good few weeks but now it started again. 3yo just swallows it, shrugs those tiny shoulders and moves on.
Potch
Telling 4yo to fight back

You do realize that your 3yo has no clue how it feels when you bit someone. They need to get a taste of there own medicine sometimes.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
I closed my teeth in 3yo's finger once. Not a real bite. (Maybe it should have hurt more. Who knows.)
3yo cried "you hurt me. Mommy bit me. Ow!"
So I explained same thing it hurts your sibling.
Didn't help at all.

It might be speech or ot problem. Have you try to get her eval?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
I'd get a large jar full of amazing goodies and treat 4 year old every time he gets bitten. Really good stuff that'll have 3 year old drooling. This is besides 3 year old getting time-out. And be super consistent.

It's tricky. 4yo has a crazy sweet tooth and terrible teeth. 4yo also can instigate 3yo so that 4you will be bitten and then "earn" a goody.
So it's only done in extreme cases now.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
You do realize that your 3yo has no clue how it feels when you bit someone. They need to get a taste of there own medicine sometimes.

4yo had bit her in the past. 3yo knows how it feels. Still does it.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:

I'm with tangerine. Maybe you should do it a few more times. (But I know I have zero credibility right now Smile .

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
It might be speech or ot problem. Have you try to get her eval?

That's how the bitting started. 3yo would bite him/herself when frustrated. Had speech therapy. 3yo is now VERY expressive and articulate.
3yo also doesn't put things into his/her mouth. Or bite other ppl. Just this one sibling. (Tried biting me once. I'm stronger. And held child I. A way so child couldn't bite me)

3yo gets into this rage and just runs for 4yo and bites with such power and anger. It's crazy coming out of a 3yo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics