Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
My 13 yo daughter desp needs to lose weight
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Optione

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:58 pm
Another vote for weight watchers. It does take getting used to, though, so I'd say that you should also sign up and do it along side her. (There's a "maintenance mode" for people who are at an ideal weight, so you don't have to worry about losing weight if you don't need to.)

pgk

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:02 pm
I just called Phyllis lifschitz for my 7th grader she weighs approx 145 which is exactly double her sister who is 16 months younger than heršŸ˜« I donā€™t know how tall your daughter is but mine is not especially tall. She out grew childrenā€™s clothing a couple of yrs back and doesnā€™t fit into any of the special teen lines either- super stressful... havenā€™t met with her yet but Iā€™ll let you know what happens

naomi2

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:13 pm
Your daughter doesn't need to go on a diet. You do. You need to change the way you shop, cook, and talk about food in your family. She is too young to be so preoccupied with a diet. It's really bad for the psyche.
Cook what you can from scratch to avoid processed food. They are loaded with salt, fat, and sugar, and carbs.
Fill your plate with 1/3 veggies
Only ww bread, limited
Stop cooking with oil, use olive oil spray
Don't cook with sugar, honey or sweeteners
Buy water or flavored seltzer only.
Don't buy candy or snacks. Snacks are fruit and veg.
Wait 20 min before taking seconds
Take up a hobby
All these suggestions are natural and painless but should have a big impact on eating habits overall. Op if you are already doing all this and your daughter is still gaining, it may help to visit an endocrinologist or psychologist to rule out metabolic or psychological issues.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:15 pm
I was on weight watchers as a teen. Loved it. Was easy for me to keep track of myself, and didnā€™t have my mother ā€œon my caseā€ with it. I had the mini book I carried along With me and my diet was my business only. I didnā€™t want it to be a family ordeal - and neither did my mother. Yes, I made bad choices likeneating chocolate and pizza, but I liked having the freedom to do that, and waste my calories as I saw fit. I didnā€™t need special foods with special preps it was kind of just paying attention to everything I put in my mouth.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:18 pm
Iā€™m talking from experience as a teen that went to Tanya Rosen. I wanted to go so I was basically committed to the plan. I went when I was about 15. Tanya let me have a lot of food, and I didnā€™t feel restricted at all. She changes the plan according to what you like to eat. It wasnā€™t boring at all. You could have pizza, sushi. Honey Nut Cheerios, variety of lots of different foods. Many many different snacks. I basically prepared lunch myself, and my mom cooked supper, the same for the rest of the family.
The menu I gave above was just a sample for one day. There are lots of different choices.

Tanya basically taught me how to eat properly, and Gave me the right tools for life. I felt amazing and lost about 2 pounds a week.

I went back to her after my baby, and she altered the plan for me. I basically was able to eat more bread and carbs as a teen.

I would de finitely recommend Tanya, as long as your daughter is committed to it. She will have to give up some junk foods, but she will have a lot of different foods to choose from. And Tanya also makes sure you are NOT hungry on her plan. Her other nutritionists are also great!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:28 pm
If she is a person who is sensitive to carb intake, then I'd be happy to share my experience. I was an overweight teen and I WISH I'd known then what I finally learned after 44 years. There are two issues. One is breaking the carb addiction and getting fat adapted. The second is recognizing that you cannot eat more calories than you burn. You. Just. Can't.

BUT. If you follow a low carb diet, then you become more likely to be able to follow a food plan. When your body burns fat instead of glucose, then you are not hungry and free of cravings. Once you take away the items that make you crave more food, any food (I wasn't into sweets but rice and bread and whatever all set me up to eat way too much in general,) you are satisfied earlier.

If she WANTS to do this then point her in my direction. I know what her future looks like if she can't get it under control. I'll be happy to share my experience. I WISH someone had told me what I know now, when I was 13. They just kept telling me to lose weight. I can tell her how to get her voracious tiger into a cage and keep it there.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:28 pm
naomi2 I love your post. Dh has been struggling with his weight since Iā€™ve known him (6 years). Heā€™s been struggling with about 50 pounds, and once I implemented a lot of the changes you mentioned, heā€™s dropped to struggling with only 25-30 pounds. His weight never climbs back up, even when heā€™s not watching his weight.
I stopped buying flavored drinks, just water, got a soda stream, have some crystal light and diet Snapple packets to add to his water, beer only on shabbos, whole wheat bread and wraps only, brown rice, white whole wheat and regular whole wheat for baking, I cut sugar in recipes by about 1/3 at least, spray olive oil on everything, rarely do I use creamy dressings, snacks are nuts, craisins, vegetables, chickpeas, roasted kale, healthy muffins, pure high quality dark chocolate, cheese, etc. itā€™s a whole new way of living, and my kids are used to it. I am very underweight and itā€™s been good for me too, as Iā€™ve gotten in general healthier. No more sweetened oatmeal packets. We add maple syrup ourselves or eat it plain. Itā€™s a whole new mentality!! Iā€™m still working on the exercise end of things, (trying to get my kids and dh into tennis, swimming, ice skating, biking, hiking)but I hope to preempt my kids having food issues by starting out like this.
Iā€™ve also been hearing a lot about hyperactivity and other behavioral issues being tied to food coloring etc. and so I try to in general be careful about what we buy and eat and dh is on board with being discriminating about what we put in our bodies.

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:00 pm
THIS!!!!

It's so important for your daughter to have a healthy relationship with her body no matter what size it is.

oliveoil wrote:
Please please look into intuitive eating and a non-diet dietician. There is a Facebook group "intuitive eating for Jewish women" where u can find a LOT of info.

Whatever you do now will permanently shape your daughters relationship with food and her body, so please, please be very careful.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:03 pm
I know all about intuitive eating. And gained lots of weight on it.
Iā€™m the original poster btw.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:05 pm
Still the OP here. We have a healthy household but we do have junk too. I want to have a normal house! I grew up in a ultra healthy house and all I did was binge at every opportunity. It backfires!!!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:18 am
My dh went to Shani Goldner and lost weight quite easily.

pause

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:32 am
I have a lot to say on this topic, some of which echoes other posters, but the main thing I want to tell you, and anyone else who is on a diet, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE CALORIES. What kind of calories and when you consume them play a very large role in how much weight you gain/lose.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:41 am
cookiewriter wrote:
OP here.:: feeling very judged by yā€™all right now. My daughter is very mature and wants to do it. I never say a word to her. I thought of weight watchers app but I think a nutritionist would be better bec theyā€™ll tell her what to eat and give her ideas etc. when you use an app youā€™re on your own. Sheā€™s classified as obese and doesnā€™t fit into XL sizes of women even. I went to Tanya myself. I wasnā€™t impressed. Plus I see what she tells people to eat in the ami magazine. Not one of them can make it too far. Reason: TOO LITTLE FOOD!

How about bassi berkowitz? I heard she's very supportive and works well with teens

perquacky

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:36 pm
I would give Weight Watchers a try before spending any money on nutritionists. I just started it myself, and I'm impressed by the types and amounts of food you're allowed to eat on a daily basis. Including snacks. Yes, you need to modify how much you eat each day, and maybe the snacks are smaller portions, but there are so many options. Try the Freestyle program (think Oprah) and the WW app. No meetings. Just you being accountable for yourself.
Obviously my situation is different from your daughter's, but if she is mature like you say, then I think she can do this. With support from you. Do it together--even if you don't need to. It will be easier if she's not the only one.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:42 pm
I lost a lot of weight while seeing Beth Warren (and Berta at Beth's office). I wasn't really told to measure food, just to count approx 1/2 cup serving of this, 1 cup of that... I eat A LOT, and I lost 50 lb. It's been a year. Bh keeping it down.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 2:31 pm
in the country I live in there is a special kids weight wtachers programme...it is VERY successful. maybe they have that where you live or c,ose to where you live?

bsy

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 2:50 pm
I don't have personal experience, but when I was in 8th grade my school had shani goldner come in periodically and talk to all the classes. I assume she has experience with teens.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 2:53 pm
in the country I live in there is a special kids weight wtachers programme...it is VERY successful. maybe they have that where you live or c,ose to where you live?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 3:01 pm
Please please please do not put her on a diet or tell her she needs to lose weight. You may be inadvertently setting her up for a life of struggle! Check out intuitive eating. There is a great facebook support group I think its called Intuitive eating and body positivity for Jewish women. I can tell you for sure if you're interested.
There are intuitive eating nutritionists in the group who practice in your area I believe.
Please. Try it. You may be saving her life.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 3:05 pm
https://www.google.co.il/amp/a......html
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise