Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
To the mother who dressed her daughter as Vashti...
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:53 pm
As a former severe acne sufferer I was very offended. I can't imagine what teenagers seeing your daughter felt like. its enough when little kids name-call people with acne as vashti, you don't actually have to 'spell it out'.

Thank you for understanding

octopus

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:56 pm
I totally get it why this upset you. But do teenagers really listen to their mothers as to whom they should dress up as? How do you know mom "made" her dress up as vashti?

simba

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:57 pm
Huh?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 4:59 pm
I never correlated my acne with Vashti. Though I feel bad that a mother would dress her daughter up as a rishanta. That part bothers me more. When I had a Purim play in school there was no character vashti or Haman for that reason.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:01 pm
My daughter saw me analyzing my pimples and talking about them. She was wondering why I was like vashti. I thought it was very cute. Not offensive at all. In any way.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:02 pm
she seemed like an 11 yo or so. the way her face was made up was obvious that mom did it for her. was it her idea or moms? I don't know, but I was near said girl for a minute or so while waiting to be buzzed in to house, girl was talking to an acquaintance of hers and since I was right there I heard part of the conv. s/t to the effect that mom dressed her up...
Who wants to be vashti anyway?

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:02 pm
She was a figure in the story. No one thinks of acne when they dress up like her.

I think you are over thinking this.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:03 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I never correlated my acne with Vashti. Though I feel bad that a mother would dress her daughter up as a rishanta. That part bothers me more. When I had a Purim play in school there was no character vashti or Haman for that reason.
'
Well I have had kids call me vashti. so no, I wouldn't correlate myself but...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:03 pm
I'm sorry you felt badly. Hug
And I feel bad for the kid who had to dress up as a bad person from the megilla.
But really, her mom just meant for her to dress up as a character from the holiday. She didn't mean any offense to those who suffer from acne.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:10 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
She was a figure in the story. No one thinks of acne when they dress up like her.

I think you are over thinking this.

no I'm not. I'm a very realistic person. you should have seen the way her face was 'made up'.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:15 pm
I have it worse than you. I still have acne. I also am prone to folliculitis which is an infection of a hair follicle. Usually in the groin area. It's not contagious, but when I go swimming people see me and run the other way. Twisted Evil

Moonlight

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:30 pm
I was actually thinking it's funny that the princesses are dressed as Ester and not vashti since Vashti was known to be beautiful and Esther was green, refused make up, etc. I get that you rather the tzedekes but if you're dressing up. .... boys are pirates and ninjas, and haman, which are bad guys, so why can't a girl be Vashti

abaker

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:36 pm
Moonligt- We don't allow the boys to dress up as Haman either. So I wouldn't dress a girl up as Vashti.

I don't know who the op is specifically posting about, but why is it offensive to acne prone people? If someone wears a frizzy brown wig for purim would it offend those with frizzy brown hair?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:08 pm
Wait: you can't dress up as "bad guys" anymore? Sheesh.

As for the acne thing: I understand this is a sensitive issue for you, but the girl and her mother probably didn't intend to insult you specifically.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:12 pm
DrMom wrote:
Wait: you can't dress up as "bad guys" anymore? Sheesh.

As for the acne thing: I understand this is a sensitive issue for you, but the girl and her mother probably didn't intend to insult you specifically.

I think it's the other way around. 32 years ago we didn't dress up like bad guys. Nowadays I see it's different.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:16 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I think it's the other way around. 32 years ago we didn't dress up like bad guys. Nowadays I see it's different.

Sure we did. I'm 31 and dressed up as a witch for at least three years running. I don't see anything wrong with dressing as the villain, it's fun!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Sure we did. I'm 31 and dressed up as a witch for at least three years running. I don't see anything wrong with dressing as the villain, it's fun!

This. I did to. Nowadays I don't see people dressed like that. I think things have changed the other way actually.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
This. I did to. Nowadays I don't see people dressed like that. I think things have changed the other way actually.

I'm referring to bad people in Jewish history. We didn't want to be a rasha even for a day. That was something I learned in kindergarten

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
I have it worse than you. I still have acne. I also am prone to folliculitis which is an infection of a hair follicle. Usually in the groin area. It's not contagious, but when I go swimming people see me and run the other way. Twisted Evil

I'm doing electrolysis to get rid of hairs in that area so that I don't get ingrown hairs. Would that be something you'd try?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:56 pm
Hugs op, I feel for you, I suffered with the most severe acne for years and it ruined my life by destroying my self esteem and yes kids asked me why I had pimples like Vashti and the pain was excruciating.. I ended up taking accutanne, still have acne but much less and other crazy issues in my life took over this pain
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics