Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you think it’s ok for married siblings to hug each other?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
A passuk is a verse in Tanach. A line from a halacha sefer isn't a passuk.

When I went to school we learned kittzur shulchan aruch and the chapter was called a "Se-if" and verse was called a "passuk", within this Sefer.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:33 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
When I went to school we learned kittzur shulchan aruch and the chapter was called a "Se-if" and verse was called a "passuk", within this Sefer.

Piska? It's divided into simanim and seifim, as far as I know. Perhaps your teacher used piska to describe each line? But ok, I apologise. It's a pet peeve of mine when girls and women use "passuk" to refer to a string of Hebrew words, no matter what the source.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:34 am
Not brothers nor nephews over six.
Yes I hug my father.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:47 am
אבן העזר כא סעיף יג
המחבק או מנשק...... אחותו הגדולה... ואחותו אביו הרי זה מגונה ביותר. ודבר איסור הוא ומעשה טיפשום

pesek zman

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:56 am
I don't have any brothers

'My chassidish aunt hugged my father publicly when she saw that I was pregnant (a few years back) after suffering IF. We were shocked! 😃

simba

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:56 am
I don't hug them when I see them on constant basis. If my brother comes to town who I haven't seen in awhile I will give him a hug. My father will hug and kiss me but not in public. He feels uncomfortable.
Cute story: My father is a veteran rabbi in a very Yeshivish school. When I was living at home after seminary. I gave him a kiss before he left to work. During his lunch break he went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror only to see lipstick lips on his cheek from my kiss! He was mortified to have been walking all day around in Yeshiva with lipstick on his cheek! No one said anything to him, I guess all assuming it was from his wife. Now he is super careful about getting kissed!

My DH's family does not hug between genders and they are likely doing the right thing.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
Not brothers nor nephews over six.
Yes I hug my father.

Brothers and nephews are totally different. My uncles touch their sisters, hug them when they’re drunk, and in generally are completely at ease around them. However most of them will not look me in the eye and only speak to me when necessary.
ETA six is very strict though. In our very Frum Satmar family boys are touched, hugged, and held by whomever until they’re at least 9. My uncles (the same ones who won’t look at me now) touched me until they were 13.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:16 am
I don’t have brothers but I learnt that it’s not assur just not preferable.
With nieces to unce it’s 3yo. With nephew to aunt it’s 9.
My sons do not kiss my daughters nor do they hug beyond a gentle pat or arm on shoulder.
This is organic not something we discussed. Where as behaviour towards their nieces we did discuss & learn.

mommy201

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:40 am
simba wrote:
I don't hug them when I see them on constant basis. If my brother comes to town who I haven't seen in awhile I will give him a hug. My father will hug and kiss me but not in public. He feels uncomfortable.
Cute story: My father is a veteran rabbi in a very Yeshivish school. When I was living at home after seminary. I gave him a kiss before he left to work. During his lunch break he went to the bathroom and looked into the mirror only to see lipstick lips on his cheek from my kiss! He was mortified to have been walking all day around in Yeshiva with lipstick on his cheek! No one said anything to him, I guess all assuming it was from his wife. Now he is super careful about getting kissed!

My DH's family does not hug between genders and they are likely doing the right thing.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:50 am
I wouldn't hug my brother but yes my sister or other female in my family.

It's not done in my circles.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:56 am
AIUI, there's no prohibition on siblings hugging so long as there is no z3xual context -- and I'm going to assume that's the case. Some authorities frown on it more than others, though.

And yes, we hug when we see each other.

moonstone

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:02 am
simba wrote:

Well, that's your opinion. Many would disagree.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:15 am
I hug my brothers although one of them claims I shouldn't hug him since I'm married.

icebreaker

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:31 pm
I have no problems with it. I'm not terribly close with my siblings and they are frummer than me, but my brother did accept my hugs the times I did, so I guess they're okay with it.

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:40 pm
DH thinks it’s very weird that I hug my brothers.
Whatever I don’t care they’re my brothers!
He won’t hug his sister.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:41 pm
I hug my brothers.

marina

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:51 pm
why are people more concerned about brother-sister incest than about gay 5ex? Why are boys in these communities allowed to hug their classmates but not their sisters?

simba

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:02 pm
marina wrote:
why are people more concerned about brother-sister incest than about gay 5ex? Why are boys in these communities allowed to hug their classmates but not their sisters?

Regarding hugs: Because Halacha has an issue with one and not the other. See Rambam quoted upthread.
That doesn't mean people are more concerned about one over the other.

marina

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:35 pm
simba wrote:
Regarding hugs: Because Halacha has an issue with one and not the other. See Rambam quoted upthread.
That doesn't mean people are more concerned about one over the other.

Doesn't really answer the question. Why else would halacha have an issue with one but not the other?

enneamom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:51 pm
marina wrote:
Doesn't really answer the question. Why else would halacha have an issue with one but not the other?

Why don't you go ask the Rambam?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics