Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you love your work
1  2  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 10:14 pm
And earn decently, how did you choose your job? Do you have a degree?

rydys

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:47 am
I'm a doctor. Decided when I was 2 years old and never changed my mind. I love what I do and look forward to going to work every day.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:55 am
I am a recruiter and I really enjoy it. I like that I help people make a parnossah. Its a really nice mix of helping people and business. I had jobs in law and real estate and while I liked the work I dont think it was my calling. I was not naturally detail oriented enough so I had to push myself extra hard to compensate and it became exhausting. This is much more suited to my natural abilities.

I do have a degree in something totally unrelated. My job was a real hashgacha pratis story that is probably not the point of this thread.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:27 am
Party planner. Love it. No degree

iriska_meller

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:37 am
Nurse Practitioner. Wanted to be an physician since childhood, but had a kid by the time I graduated with my Bachelors so went to nursing school instead. Worked for a couple of years at bedside and started Np school.

nicole81

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:38 am
I'm a public school administrator of mathematics, working with an economically disadvantaged and underperforming population of teenagers. I have a BA and two Masters. I entered the field of education randomly; the right opportunity presented itself at the right time and I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm the type of person that thrives on challenge, loves working with data, and am a great problem solver. It turned out that working in this field really suited me, so I continued on up the career ladder.

rachelbg

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:39 am
Educator. I have a graduate degree and a few other certifications. I’ve been chinuch for over a decade, and I can’t imagine doing anything else; I love it. Due to my various qualifications and degrees I make more in my role than some others do (not interested in sharing details) but that’s the only reason it’s sustainable for us for now.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:41 am
I basically decided in elementary school that I wanted to work with computers. My degree is in computer science and I love what I do.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:05 am
Residential and kitchen design: my passionate hobby has become a business. My degree is in Liberal Arts although I did attend a prestigious art school for a year — decades ago. I love my work! My business has recently grown to the point of paying decently, and it continues to grow.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:08 am
teacher. love it !!!! I have 2 degrees.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:30 pm
I’m a Third Party supervisor (finance) at none for profit organization. I used to love my job now I hated because I always have to prepare analysis for third party revenue. I have a degree and have been with my company for 18 years and have been promoted 3 times. Today I decided time to change my job.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:32 pm
Oh I forgot my dad chose my college and told me to go for accounting little that I know how boring this job is. But he was right I was very good at it. Right after college got my job and never changed it due to getting married and having kid after kid...

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 7:31 am
Thank you all for answering! Anyone else wants to share?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:28 am
Always loved mathematics and got BS in Math. Then 10 years later became more practical went back to school and got MS in Software Engineering. Now work as a Computer Engineer for DoD and loving it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:42 am
I’m an attorney and have my own solo practice. While running the practice myself can be stressful, I love the independence and flexibility of working for myself. I do transactional and regulatory compliance work because it’s more flexible time wise than litigation.

I had my first three kids while in law school - it took me 4 years to finish instead of 3.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:46 am
I'm a clinical social worker with a lot of post grad training. I make around 120 thousand a year. I love my work, but have recently been feeling a bit burnt out...

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:48 am
I’m also a social worker. I don’t make as much as the above poster, but that’s because I don’t work that many hours. I love it. But I don’t take on too many clients because I don’t want to get burnout. I went back to school in my late 20s when I never thought I’d go back, and many of my classmates were older than me. It’s really never too late!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:51 am
My parents sent me to Caretaker school when I was 8 or 9. Got my masters when I was 11 or 12. I diapered, fed, bathed, etc.etc. etc. my younger siblings. All 4 of them.

When I was 19 or 20 I enrolled unwillingly to Caretaker grad school. Worked with combined ages such as newborn, toddler, and a 20-something yr old male who moved into a supervisory role without my consent. I fired him after a few years of misery. It was quite the challenge to be responsible for so many aspects at work, and be in grad school at the same time.

Was promoted at work approx every other year. I excelled at work, so another charge was added to my care at regular intervals. I was always on my toes, never a dull moment. My creativity was always pushed to its limits, and I really enjoyed that.

I have gathered various certifications along the way, all within the realm of human interactions.

Having started work at such a young age, I'm kinda burnt out. My health is on the decline.

I'm planning to start a sabbatical right after Pesach. At the end of, or during, my sabbatical I will think about where to go from here.

eschaya

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:21 am
Another NP here who loves her job (I work in critical care). I make a decent salary (6 digits), have tons of work/life flexibility, and get to go home after each shift knowing that I've made a positive difference in the lives of others. As far as degrees, I have a bachelors, masters and post-masters. I'm not one of those who knew her whole life she'd be working in healthcare... I made the decision to go back to school for nursing when I had 3 kids. It was very hard, but one of the best decisions in my life. I became an NP with 4 kids and while working. Love my job! (yes, I know how lucky I am)

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
I’m an attorney and have my own solo practice. While running the practice myself can be stressful, I love the independence and flexibility of working for myself. I do transactional and regulatory compliance work because it’s more flexible time wise than litigation.

I had my first three kids while in law school - it took me 4 years to finish instead of 3.

Can I ask how you got into this area; did you have to first work under someone else? (I do light litigation but looking for a change)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics