Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Lunch foods for chol hamoed Pesach (no eggs)
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:21 pm
It’s gotta be easier than I’m making it but DD and DSIL will be after the sedarim for the first time in years (were living across the country ). I eat salads, hard boiled eggs, tuna for lunch . DH eats at work. What can I feed the kids? They can’t eat chicken for every meal, DD is allergic to eggs except in baked goods, and they don’t eat canned fish. HELP!!

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:23 pm
Are you asking for food that travels well or food to eat at home

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:27 pm
Avacado, cucumber. And more avacado . My staples.
Apples, oranges, grapefruit, bananas.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:30 pm
Cream cheese on matzah, matzah pizza, cold cuts, blintzes

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
It’s gotta be easier than I’m making it but DD and DSIL will be after the sedarim for the first time in years (were living across the country ). I eat salads, hard boiled eggs, tuna for lunch . DH eats at work. What can I feed the kids? They can’t eat chicken for every meal, DD is allergic to eggs except in baked goods, and they don’t eat canned fish. HELP!!

My kids could eat matzo pizza for lunch every day. In fact, I think they do.

Or make matzo rolls and let them have a sandwich.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:55 pm
Gebrokts or non-gebrokts? It's probably easier if matza pizza were an option, but since we don't eat gebrokts here are some popular chol hamo'ed lunch foods in my house:

Yogurts/Leben. For the younger kids, I give them a few lady fingers and it's a meal.
Cottage cheese with fresh fruit
Leftover gefilte fish or salmon from yom tov meals, with salad.
Latkes with apple sauce (a serious patchke, but if you have the time, it's worth it - so delicious fresh, even though it makes your house smell like Chanukah!)
Baked Potatoes. If you have a milchig oven for Pesach, it's great with melted cheese or cheese sauce. Can also cook some broccoli to serve with the cheese sauce, to make it a more balanced meal. If you want to keep it pareve/fleishigs, try baked potatoes with ketchup.

If they don't mind being fleishigs:
Meatballs and mashed potatoes
Meatloaf and mashed or roasted potatoes
Chicken nuggets with french fries (feels less like the standard yom tov chicken & potatoes meal)

Hope this helps!

iammom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:59 pm
I second yogurts.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 2:30 pm
Yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit, string cheese, baked potatoes or any form of potatoes, salmon fish.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 2:36 pm
Ok I will ask for ideas too, but I am allergic to dairy & eggs, no gebrokts, no avocados or tomatoes (they make my mouth & throat itch) and I dislike gefilte fish. Ideas for breakfast and lunch 4 pessach please.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 2:39 pm
studying_torah wrote:
, no avocados or tomatoes (they make my mouth & throat itch) .

Ever tried organic?
I used to get itchy from avacado until I switched to organic.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:43 pm
Interesting idea plum, no I didn't

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:

Can dd eat a baked dish that has eggs in it? Like a Spanish tortilla which is made with potatoes and eggs.

Quinoa avocado salad is awesome.

Cream cheese on matzah (not gebrokts cuz milk product that doesn't have water).
Yogurt
Cheese snack
String cheese
Salmon skewers
Tilapia cubes
Turkey breast slices or cubes
Cottage cheese pancakes
Tuna or salmon patties
Little meatballs on toothpicks
Chicken nuggets
Potato salad (top with their fave protein like cheese cubes or deli cubes or salmon cubes)
Matzah grill cheese or matzah pizza (made with fresh sliced tomatoes so no bruk issues)
Veggie sticks and dip along with grilled chicken cut into sticks as well
Eggplant parm or roll ups
Cauliflower crust pizza
Zucchini "lasagna" or roll ups
Potato/tapioca starch flatbread crackers with avocado

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:49 pm
Don't know if you bruk or not, but my kids love
eating matza pizza too! We use machine made Shmura for it, shmear with tomato sauce, Oregano and shredded cheese and put it in our milchige convection oven. They could eat it for breakfast lunch and supper if I offered the option.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:32 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Ok I will ask for ideas too, but I am allergic to dairy & eggs, no gebrokts, no avocados or tomatoes (they make my mouth & throat itch) and I dislike gefilte fish. Ideas for breakfast and lunch 4 pessach please.

Only asking because you said you're allergic to eggs and also dislike gefilte fish. Is there gefilte fish (frozen) without eggs? Would love to know for my allergic dc.

mirror

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Only asking because you said you're allergic to eggs and also dislike gefilte fish. Is there gefilte fish (frozen) without eggs? Would love to know for my allergic dc.

I have a friend who goes to the fish store to buy ground fish to make her own gefilte fish. You could make your own with oil and potato starch I guess.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:47 pm
Just discovered my egg &dairy allergy, so I don't have gefilte ideas, I'm sorry.
I'm stumped what to eat every day,but pessach is much more limited, asx we don't buy many foods either.
Oh and I can't digest matzah.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:52 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Just discovered my egg &dairy allergy, so I don't have gefilte ideas, I'm sorry.
I'm stumped what to eat every day,but pessach is much more limited, asx we don't buy many foods either.
Oh and I can't digest matzah.

Quinoa? Given your allergies you may be able to get a heter to break your minhag and buy products or have kitniot etc

keym

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:59 pm
Tuna or Salmon patties?
Hash browns?
Cheesy potatoes? Throw some broccoli or peppers in it and a full meal.
When all else fails, frozen french fries.
Thick soups with squash and sweet potatoes?
Breaded flounder- breaded with crumbs or potato flakes.
Nuts and raisins?

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:04 pm
If DD and DSIL means daughter and son-in-law, they are adults and I don't think you need to worry about feeding them lunches. Surely they can figure it out themselves.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 3:03 am
Wow! You are so organized I’d you are already thinking about chol hamoed lunch! Good job, op!

Matza Pizza
Potato pizza
Hash browns and popcorn cauliflower
Matza lasagna
Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese

Make a big salad.

Yes I like cheese 😂.

Anonymous because of my famous potato pizza. Seriously.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics