Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Discounted yom tov clothes for kids?
1  2  3  4  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:30 pm
BH I'm OK enough that I should not need a gemach, yet not up to paying frum store prices either. I used to do fine with hand me downs plus inexpensive purchases like Children's Place on sale, but it's gotten much harder to find anything nice and tznius (alterations would kind of defeat the purpose of buying cheap) for yomtov for my big girl (size 8ish)

Is there any resource for someone like me? Like a gemach that sells clothes at cost rather than handouts? When I ask people they tell me to try Bobbie's Place but I know that is a free gemach for people with verified hardship and I feel that would be taking advantage because I'm not that needy.

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:35 pm
Have you tried designer spot in BP? They're not children's place prices, but not frum store prices either. They're very very decently priced for good quality clothing.
I'm also always on the lookout for good stores who have 70% off sale racks, I hope someone else can enlighten us.

mommmmmmmmmmy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:37 pm
Designers spot
3813 13th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11218
347 669 8300
Nothing overpriced. Nice ppl

Blessing1

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:52 pm
Zara has nice stuff very decent priced. Is there a kidichic in your area?? They're also very decent priced.

yogabird

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:59 pm
I think if you're okay with it it's okay to take from a gemach. Gemachs are so flooded with donations these days, many don't even accept more at this point. I don't think anybody will hold it against you. I'd be thrilled to know someone got my kids clothes that I donated, even if they weren't dirt poor. And even if they could well afford to buy new stuff. I'd just be happy it was getting used.

L25

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 4:07 pm
can you ask the gemach? some gemachs really do get more then they can handle.

some times you can get stuff on sale even at the frum stores. It would be winter clothing but may be something won't be so wintery.
For example:
https://www.junees.com/collections/sale-kids

I'm guessing the people who used to give you hand me downs doesn't work anymore? Do you know anyone who has kids a little older then you even if you would offer to "buy" the hand me downs off of them? I think most people understand how hard it is to find tznius clothing once kids get bigger.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 4:24 pm
Please go to serendipity . You pay, nothing is free, clothing is nice...

Fashion wholesalers in Howell next to amazing savings has good prices but even there it can add up if you want new things for everyone.

Kiddichic on 2nd street has nice shabbos outfits for girls much cheaper than any other store.

But I really think you should go to serendipity which used to be de ja nu. It’s open to everyone.

Last edited by lkwdlady on Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

lfab

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 5:14 pm
If you could travel to Lakewood, or you Halen to be going there anyway, there is a store called Serendipity (formerly deja new) that is amazing. At this point my kids wardrobes comes almost entirely from there. Most of the stuff there is used but all is in good to excellent condition. The clothes are donated and sold for a few dollars per piece. The proceeds ate then skated to other charities. They also have a huge rack of brand new items with tags attached from the frum stores that they sell for a fraction of the price. I got my daughter skirts that had tags listing the original price as nearly $60 for $4-$6. Gorgeous shabbos dresser for $16, etc. You need to have time and patience to sift through everything but I've done so well there. It can be hit or miss though since you never know what they will have. B"H I'm lucky that I have a close relative who lives there and if she's going anyway she will often look for stuff for my kids for me. If you will be going to Lakewood for any reason definitely try to stop in there.

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 5:34 pm
In Williamsburg there is clothes out that sells second hand clothes. Everything is 5$ a peice.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:03 pm
I keep hearing about this Serendipity place but I'm very rarely in Lakewood. Anything like it nearer NYC?

Zehava where is clothes out and do they have nice up-to-date yom-tov-worthy clothes?

I could check out Kidichic but IIRC I was there once a while ago and their prices were good compared to the higher end frum stores but still more than I wanted to pay for kids' clothes.

Boro Park reps, what would you say the price range would be at Designer Spot?

Regarding gemachs being flooded, I don't know of any secondhand gemachs. The ones I'm talking about get new clothes wholesale and distribute them free. I don't know about the others but Bobbie's Place for sure doesn't have a surplus, you need to make appointments and they check references and they eventually run out of appointments. I would definitely want appointments to go to people who need it more! On the other hand once you start buying retail it gets expensive really fast.

The issue with hand-me-downs is not that people aren't willing to give, it's that it naturally gets more complicated as kids get bigger. For the most part a toddler is a toddler, but 8-year-olds start coming in more different shapes and sizes which work with different clothes. Then you have the kid who was a year ahead of you in sizes at age 5 but then your kid starts catching up and now their kid isn't done with the clothes by the time yours needs them. And then there's the opposite, where their kid has a huge growth spurt and skipped a bunch of sizes between one spring and the next, so you're missing a season. And then they also don't grow as fast as they get older, so they could wear the same outfit for a whole year or more and by the time they're done with it it's too shabby to pass on... Basically the era of hand-me-downs is waning for us.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:36 pm
Designer Spot is priced better than Kiddie Chic, but it's still in that same range.

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:07 pm
seeker wrote:
I keep hearing about this Serendipity place but I'm very rarely in Lakewood. Anything like it nearer NYC?

Zehava where is clothes out and do they have nice up-to-date yom-tov-worthy clothes?

It’s on park AVE off Bedford. I can’t tell you what kind of clothes they have at the moment since I haven’t been there in a while.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:09 pm
What about that Bikur cholim used clothing store? Isn't it on Maple in Monsey?

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:43 pm
I stopped buying at the children's place because at some point, it gets difficult to find things. I don't know how it will turn out, but I'm ordering from gap this year and they have plus size girls and in general their things run small, and you can get bigger sizes so it can be longer.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:48 pm
I heard that Judy’s nook has a 70% off section in there basement.

rosenbal

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:55 pm
There's also Carousel Kids in Flatbush on Coney Island. Like Designers Spot prices I think.

abaker

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:57 pm
Does this serendipity store sells boys clothes as well?

skee

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:58 pm
seeker wrote:
BH I'm OK enough that I should not need a gemach, yet not up to paying frum store prices either. I used to do fine with hand me downs plus inexpensive purchases like Children's Place on sale, but it's gotten much harder to find anything nice and tznius (alterations would kind of defeat the purpose of buying cheap) for yomtov for my big girl (size 8ish)

Is there any resource for someone like me? Like a gemach that sells clothes at cost rather than handouts? When I ask people they tell me to try Bobbie's Place but I know that is a free gemach for people with verified hardship and I feel that would be taking advantage because I'm not that needy.

My situation is very similar and I wish I had an answer. Mostly I don't buy my kids new clothing for Yom Tov. We make do with whatever fits them from last year and whatever recent clothing is still more or less in season. This year Pesach is early so they will be wearing their fall/winter clothing. Then when stores like Junee have huge sales I buy them some things for the tail end of the season and hope they will still fit by the following year (I try to size up as much as I can).

rosenbal

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:04 pm
Double post

rosenbal

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:05 pm
abaker wrote:
Does this serendipity store sells boys clothes as well?

Yes!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains