Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
My potato kugel tastes revolting-- help!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Laiya

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 6:50 pm
crust wrote:
I have a sil that adds onions and her kugels are always green.
Of course when you see a single kugel it can look white but when you have two kugels at a vachnacht you see the difference immediately.
White color in kugel is only a result of how fast it gets into the hot temperature.

I used to add onion but it makes the taste so different. Its not bad but it loses the organic (and universal) kugel taste.

(The kugel you buy in take out or the ones that are served at catered simchas mostly don't have oinions.)

This is interesting. I've heard that kugels stay white because: you heat the oil first almost till smoking, then mix it into the rest of the potato mixture (ground potatoes, eggs, salt, onion).

Or, it depends on the type of potatoes--Idahos change colors, yukon golds don't. Then again, yukon gold potatoes also have a different texture.

I couldn't decide, so I started splitting the difference: 2 1/2 pounds of idaho, 2 1/2 pounds yukon gold. And also simmering the oil.

But next time I'll have to try leaving out the onions instead!

Seltzer sounds interesting...

I also start the temp. at 450 for 1 hour, then lower to 350 for 1 hour.

Also, never spill out the water that separates out of the potatoes, just leave as is when pouring the mixture into the pan (unlike what you would do with latkes). And use the shoestring grater for the potatoes.

das

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:07 pm
I've tried many recipes and this is my favorite. You dont have to overnight it.

http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....d=523

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:17 pm
Laiya wrote:
This is interesting. I've heard that kugels stay white because: you heat the oil first almost till smoking, then mix it into the rest of the potato mixture (ground potatoes, eggs, salt, onion).

Or, it depends on the type of potatoes--Idahos change colors, yukon golds don't. Then again, yukon gold potatoes also have a different texture.

I couldn't decide, so I started splitting the difference: 2 1/2 pounds of idaho, 2 1/2 pounds yukon gold. And also simmering the oil.

But next time I'll have to try leaving out the onions instead!

Seltzer sounds interesting...

I also start the temp. at 450 for 1 hour, then lower to 350 for 1 hour.

Also, never spill out the water that separates out of the potatoes, just leave as is when pouring the mixture into the pan (unlike what you would do with latkes). And use the shoestring grater for the potatoes.

I just want to clarify.
My sil kugels aren't green because she puts onions. I said its green "even though" she puts onions. I just said that onions don't help with color. The only thing onions do ime is that it makes a different taste.

The boiling oil works because the potatoes start cooking the first minute. I do it sometimes when the potatoes are very cold (if I have no one around).

There's also another thing that works a bit; add the oil in increments to the potatoes while you are processing them.

But after being the official kugel lady in the family for years I can tell you that the only things that work for white kugel success are; speed and heat.
Get those potatoes processed and mixed with the rest of the ingredients in less than five minutes and get them into a boiling oven so they are thoroughly hot as quickly as possible Smile.
Once its thoroughly hot, 20-30 minutes, the temp can go down to 450 or even 400.

I only use Idaho loose.

I dont understand what you are saying about water from the potatoes. When does that happen?
I blend them and immediately pour the entire contents of the processor into the egg mix.

Btw, after years of using the kugel blade of the Braun, I switched to the center blade and I dont blend it all the way. I like the texture better. Its more fluffy and not so puddingy.

DVOM

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:29 pm
Update:

I think I'm going to call this a success! Kugel looks good! I was worried because it came out of the oven very dark brown on top and I thought it might be burnt, but inside is light fluffy and white, and.... delicious!

Thank you, everyone!

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:37 pm
Can I have a peice DVOM?

Laiya

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 8:54 pm
crust wrote:

I dont understand what you are saying about water from the potatoes. When does that happen?
I blend them and immediately pour the entire contents of the processor into the egg mix.

Btw, after years of using the kugel blade of the Braun, I switched to the center blade and I dont blend it all the way. I like the texture better. Its more fluffy and not so puddingy.

You clearly work way faster than me Wink

If you're not super fast, the water starts to separate out of the potatoes and pools. I was just saying, don't be tempted to spill it out or strain the potatoes before mixing into the eggs.

Regarding the blade. When I was little I had a friend whose mother would hand grate the potatoes just to get that perfect shoestring size and shape, and I realized some time ago that that blade gives a similar result.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:00 pm
Crust, can you clarify how you use the center blade? Do you mix the whole thing at once, or in batches? And do you put the eggs in the food processor also? After you grind the potatoes? Thanks.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:13 pm
What kind of potatoes does everyone use? Mine has been been horribly dry no matter how much oil I use. My friend uses the same recipe and it's amazing. I thought it might be my oven but now I'm thinking it might be the potatoes! I usually get the cheapest.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:15 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Crust, can you clarify how you use the center blade? Do you mix the whole thing at once, or in batches? And do you put the eggs in the food processor also? After you grind the potatoes? Thanks.

I cut the potatoes in 4-6 pieces.
I put in 2 diced potaoes. While the proceesor is working, I add another two or three.

My bowl can hold up to 10 potatoes at once but because I dont want it be too fine, I do only half the potatoes at once.

mom39

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:26 pm
Of course when you see a single kugel it can look white but when you have two kugels at a vachnacht you see the difference immediately.

If you put 2 kugels in the oven - one on top of the other - the bottom one does not get the heat distributed evenly fast enough and it comes out a strange color.

Some people add boiling water as well as boiling oil. It makes it fluffier. You might want to try that once and see if you like it.

DVOM

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:34 pm
crust wrote:
Can I have a peice DVOM?

Come on over!

You can also have sweet potatoes, apple crisp, tilapia with stewed carrots and peppers, chicken soup, saucy chicken on the bone, schnitzel, gafilta fish... it's a pre-shabbos feast! Better come quickly before I pack it all up into the fridge!

Frummommy138

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:36 pm
OutATowner wrote:
What kind of potatoes does everyone use? Mine has been been horribly dry no matter how much oil I use. My friend uses the same recipe and it's amazing. I thought it might be my oven but now I'm thinking it might be the potatoes! I usually get the cheapest.

Potato’s sure make a difference.
Idaho loose gpod potato’s are best imho.
And don’t forget to say lekavod Shabbos.... that’s the real secret ingredient no mater the recipe the potato the method.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:41 pm
Laiya wrote:
You clearly work way faster than me Wink

If you're not super fast, the water starts to separate out of the potatoes and pools. I was just saying, don't be tempted to spill it out or strain the potatoes before mixing into the eggs.

Regarding the blade. When I was little I had a friend whose mother would hand grate the potatoes just to get that perfect shoestring size and shape, and I realized some time ago that that blade gives a similar result.

If I know which blade you are talking about, it does have the closest to hand grated effect.

I dont think that I'm more geshikt than you. Its just that I prepare everything before I start processing.

I prepare the paper and the pan, heat the oven, peel the potatoes, mix the egg/oil/spices and only then do I start grating the potatoes.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:44 pm
DVOM wrote:
Come on over!

You can also have sweet potatoes, apple crisp, tilapia with stewed carrots and peppers, chicken soup, saucy chicken on the bone, schnitzel, gafilta fish... it's a pre-shabbos feast! Better come quickly before I pack it all up into the fridge!

Wowowowow! You cooked up a storm!

It would be great to have such a freind that invites me with my family for a pre-pesach shabbos.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:46 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Crust, do you put the eggs in the food processor also? After you grind the potatoes? Thanks.

I mix the eggs with my potatoe masher.
Anf before I grind the potatoes.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:49 pm
mom39 wrote:

If you put 2 kugels in the oven - one on top of the other - the bottom one does not get the heat distributed evenly fast enough and it comes out a strange color.

Some people add boiling water as well as boiling oil. It makes it fluffier. You might want to try that once and see if you like it.

The regular kitchen oven that most people have is not powerful enough to bake two roaster size kugels at once.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:50 pm
Frummommy138 wrote:
Potato’s sure make a difference.
Idaho loose gpod potato’s are best imho.
And don’t forget to say lekavod Shabbos.... that’s the real secret ingredient no mater the recipe the potato the method.

It's true.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:09 pm
Crust, I make the same kugel but a smaller recipe cuz my family doesn’t need such a big size. This recipe is the real stuff, literally the best. The real Hungarian potato kugel!

I grate it with a hand grater. I know it sounds crazy but you can’t compare the taste to a machine grater. I do 2 and one of the kids 2. If I make a bigger I do 3 and one of the kids 3. Also, it stays white with the hand grater. But most people do with the food processor.

I’m sending for my mom every week from my potato kugel. She’s waiting for it Smile

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:12 pm
Trick to white and fluffy potato kugel is to have a fully preheated oven to a high number.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:13 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:
Crust, I make the same kugel but a smaller recipe cuz my family doesn’t need such a big size. This recipe is the real stuff, literally the best. The real Hungarian potato kugel!

I grate it with a hand grater. I know it sounds crazy but you can’t compare the taste to a machine grater. I do 2 and one of the kids 2. If I make a bigger I do 3 and one of the kids 3. Also, it stays white with the hand grater. But most people do with the food processor.

I’m sending for my mom every week from my potato kugel. She’s waiting for it Smile

Awwww! Your kugel must be the real stuff!
We used to hand grate for years after the Braun was on the market.

I make 6-8 potatoes quite often but never without the processor. embarrassed
I'm afraid my kids have no idea what a hand grater is!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes