Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hardwood floor color that goes nicely with gray

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 1:51 pm
Can someone recommend a wood floor color that coordinates nicely with light gray walls? It's for dining/living room.
Tia

Maya

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 2:19 pm
We stained ours almost white.

Raw

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:22 pm
Ours is stained provincial, and I think it looks great with grey and neutrals.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:36 pm
We just redid entire upstairs. Very light grey walls and walnut hardwood. Came out really stunning. I seriously feel like I am not in Brooklyn. We left floors raw ( no polish) we got endless compliments on it.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:48 pm
If the grain of the floors is really gorgeous, it's worth having them sanded and then professionally sealed as-is. The look is highly desirable among designers right now.

If you want to paint or stain them, tell me what your furniture is like. Is it wood? If so, what color. If it's mostly upholstery, what colors, and what style? Classic, antique, modern?

For example, if you have black and gray modern furniture, then a teak stain (warm orange) would look very modern and give it a pop of complimentary color.

If you have a walnut dining set in a classic or Victorian style, then walnut is the only color that will look right.

Having the color of your floors not match the color of the wood on your furniture will just make the room look uncoordianted and make it feel cluttered.

If the wood is not particularly interesting, I've seen nice things done with paint. The problem with paint is that once it gets scuffed or scratched it's really obvious, and you have to have some extra paint on hand to fix the marks. Painted floors with heavy traffic get worn out very quickly.

If you want your floors, whatever finish you choose, to stand up forever, then invest in a poured resin finish. You'll have to empty out the house and live someplace else for a few days, but the end result is as hard as diamonds. It's what they use to keep bowling alley lanes looking pristine. If you resell, you can mention it in the listing and it will add a lot of value to the house.

Raw

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
We just redid entire upstairs. Very light grey walls and walnut hardwood. Came out really stunning. I seriously feel like I am not in Brooklyn. We left floors raw ( no polish) we got endless compliments on it.

Does leaving floors ‘raw’ mean that scratches don’t show up as much as on stained?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 4:01 pm
I redid a year ago and used a mix of 3 parts ebony to one grey. My floors look amazing!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:42 pm
Right now we don't have furniture that we need to Match to, although we'll probably go for contemporary style furniture.
Which floor stains are trending now, and in what kind of finish?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:49 pm
We did gray, and it came out gorgeous. We have a very Old house but the gray hardwood and light gray walls with sheer white curtains and white trim make everything look really clean, fresh, and spacious. It’s very peaceful in my opinion. Throws, pillows, flowers, pictures, paintings, rugs, all add color.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:59 pm
Khaki amother, which gray did you do? We'd love to do gray, but it seems like from what I've researched, gray can likely turn Yellow??

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:59 pm
Khaki amother, which gray did you do? We'd love to do gray, but it seems like from what I've researched, gray can likely turn Yellow??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics