Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Lighting candles safely

ffbmom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 7:08 pm
I'm wondering what everyone uses to light Shabbos candles safely out of reach of little children. Currently I light on a side table or the dining room table, but both are within reach of children under 5. Thank you.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:26 pm
IMNSHO- Please teach your children fire safety.
Any child can CVS climb up on any table no matter how tall.
Also Please don't put the candles on a table that has a table cloth, or anything hanging down.
A child can pull on the tablecloth and knock down the candles.

I use a side buffet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:35 pm
We hung a shelf on the dining room wall to hold the candles.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:41 pm
https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catal.....7524/
IKEA markets this as a table, but we hung it higher on a wall and use it as a collapsible shelf. I got this when I got tired of my kids almost tipping over my candles and making a fire every week. It’s been in use for 5-6 years and I would buy it again if I had the chance. You need a level to hang it, but it’s not more complicated than that.

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 9:56 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
We hung a shelf on the dining room wall to hold the candles.

we did this in my apartment Its called a floating shelf that can be put any height if the wall has studs. It was a fairly easy install and does not damage the wall. It is the perfect width for a set of candle sticks--and a few more for children. I put a layer of foil underneath to protect it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:38 am
I put my candles on a side table, with a silver tray underneath in case they get tipped over.

One of the first words I taught DD was "HOT!". Stove, iron, and candles, she figured it out. I watched as she put her hand near something hot, said the word, and that was all it took for her to decide that was a bad idea.

If you have children that for whatever reason (impulse control, etc.) cannot be trusted, then definitely go with a high shelf. Fireplace matches are great for lighting up high, or if you light a lot of candles. They're also great for teaching kids how to light, without burning little fingers.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 7:40 am
For a long time we put them on the table, but if we need to change the tablecloth or move the table it gets complicated. Now we put them on the mantlepiece or a low bookshelf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note