Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How big is an acre?
Previous  1  2

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
It's not for a family. It's for a woman who works 24/7 (almost), for the klal, and wants to have a quiet spot away from civilization, to get a few nights of sleep about once or twice a month or so. She might want to spend her time gardening- so she might want to plant some fruit trees and vegetable patches, tbd.

So she needs something within a reasonable distance of BP.... not 'anywhere'.

And she certainly doesn't need 10 acres.

And with limited funds she'll have a difficult time managing vegetable patches one or two days a month.

There are farms that offer housing for guests. Perhaps she should look into that.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:43 pm
Checkout the Catskills. My inlaws live in Sullivan County and it's extremely quiet other than hearing a rooster crow or a cow moo from a farm nearby. My BIL lives across the road from them and has seven acres , mostly woods. Both my inlaws need to use a tractor to mow the grass. The neighbors all drive tractors on the road around there. It's very rural, peaceful and quiet. Sometimes it's too quiet. My BIL paid for his seven acres less than $70,000.00 and it has a trailer house on the property.
You don't need 10 acres to garden. You can do a bit of farming with that amount of land.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:

There are farms that offer housing for guests. Perhaps she should look into that.

She wants to zone out, away from ppl. She wont necessarily do any gardening, just wants the option available.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:53 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Checkout the Catskills. My inlaws live in Sullivan County and it's extremely quiet other than hearing a rooster crow or a cow moo from a farm nearby. My BIL lives across the road from them and has seven acres , mostly woods. Both my inlaws need to use a tractor to mow the grass. The neighbors all drive tractors on the road around there. It's very rural, peaceful and quiet. Sometimes it's too quiet. My BIL paid for his seven acres less than $70,000.00 and it has a trailer house on the property.
You don't need 10 acres to garden. You can do a bit of farming with that amount of land.

This. Where wud such properties be listed?

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
She wants to zone out, away from ppl. She wont necessarily do any gardening, just wants the option available.

you'd be left alone in a guest house.

What I'm getting at is you don't just own 10 acres of land. There is maintenance. And gardening isn't a hobby that can be picked up 1 or 2 times a month. Seems like an lot of burden for a women who already has a lot of burden.

Zillow - as mentioned is a place one goes to find property.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 1:59 pm
Believe it or not ...There are still places in Lakewood/TR that are minutes away from every Jewish amenity you need . Yet at 1am , are so quiet, you'll think you are losing your mind..

Maybe look into that...

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
This. Where wud such properties be listed?

Catskills4sale.com
There's an option to just search for land as opposed to homes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 4:11 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Catskills4sale.com
There's an option to just search for land as opposed to homes.

Thank you very very much!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics