Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I don't like the school fund-raiser...

amother

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 12:06 am
My son brought home a flashy brochure for his school's new fund-raiser - selling magazine subscriptions. Of course, there are all kinds of incentive prizes, etc. But we wouldn't READ most of those magazines in our home because they are NOT TZNIUS or in other ways just don't mesh with our beliefs. So we don't want our son trying to sell subscriptions to them!

This is a big fund-raiser at the school, apparently. It's a frum school. I'd rather our son just ask our relatives for a small donation to the school! Anyway the school only gets a cut of the magazine subscription price... so it would be cheaper for our relatives/friends to just give $5 or whatever instead of paying $20 for a subscription to an un-tznius magazine...

Trying to decide whether to just not have our son participate (he knows we don't like the whole thing) or whether to bring it up with the school so they know how we feel about it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 12:32 am
well ... if you feel that strongly I say approach the school and don't let your son sell - but then he needn't bring in any monies

Atali

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 1:33 am
I would approach the rabbanim who supervise the school (or the rav of the city), and definitely not let my child participate.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 2:52 am
Ditto. The yeshiva should understand that part of its job is producing students who won't know from these things and have them in their homes. Certainly not spreading it among Jews.

I would speak to other like minded parents as well. The school sponsoring this puts a hechsher on these publications in the eyes of the kids and the tzibbur.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 8:42 am
Our school has the kids selling gift wrap and candy, so maybe that would be a more acceptable fundraiser for your school? At any rate, my kid doesn't do any selling, because every friend and family member has their own fundraising for their schools, and I just can't see hitting them up to contribute to my school. I did have a friend who contributed to her own kid's selling by buying gifts for all their friends out of their magazine sale thing.

I occasionally buy something from my school fundraising thing (wrapping paper is always useful) but he never gets a prize because it's not enough. He doesn't even notice that he's not involved, as there are always more interesting things to get involved with at school.

I think it's fine to make a donation directly to the school instead.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 9:28 am
I never liked our fund raisers .....

Atali

Post Sun, Nov 04 2007, 5:32 pm
How do you feel about young boys going around with envelopes collecting tzedakah for their schools? In one community, whenever I go shopping at a frum store or to a Jewish event, I am asked at the same time from at least four or five 8-12 year old boys if I can give tzedakah to their schools. When I went to kapporos there must have been at least thirty of them there.

I have a few problems with this:

1. I do not have enough money to give to thirty boys (or even necessarily five) at the same time, so I always have to say no to some of them, which means that the quiet boys often get ignored. Also, it is unfair to make someone choose between giving money that they don't have and saying no to a small child.

2. I don't think that small children should be carrying around a large bag of money or asking for money from strangers for safety reasons.

3. I don't think that kids should get used to begging for money.

What does everyone else think?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics