Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dh struggling with proof of Torah
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:09 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
WOW. Just WOW. You sense fear? Almost panic? What am I afraid of? Are you kidding? Seriously?????!!!!

That was the most snarky comment I have EVER read on imamother! You managed to read my emotions through a five line post on imamother? Are you clairvoyant? Do you do psychotherapy by phone as well? Or is it just as amother that you can do your best psychotherapy (because you can't be called out?)

Just for the information of any other reader - I, like many other imamothers, am in the middle of balancing work, minding small children (and big children) and cleaning for pesach. SOME of us are being home this pesach and are actually having guests!!!! So I didn't have time to post a longer response.

Honestly, you don't own me, not at all!!!!

I think in writing, use of caps (also exclamation points), makes it seem that the writer is shouting. People often interpret it as a show of anger or some other emotion.

leah233

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
I sense fear. Almost panic? What are you afraid of?

It just the opposite.

The reason why anytime someone on Imamother asks for proof of Torah M'Sinai she is guaranteed to have someone telli her there is no proof as one of the first responses and then there comes a whole avalanche of attacks on Torah M'Sinai is because the skeptics are too scared to let such a conversation go by without them proselytizing and shouting down all proofs of Torah M'Sinai.

I know from people who tried correcting things on anti frum sites that were black on white wrong that they very quickly found their comments deleted and themselves banned from the site.No reason Imamother can't do the same.

The above is why I rarely comment on these threads and this will be my last comment on this one.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:16 pm
Op here. I am ok with debate. For the record, dh and I are fairly intellectual, and both highly educated. I am just not sure why he is so bothered by this all of a sudden, though he says he really never knew.

So if you all were to find out, that the consensus of the archeological world is that there is no evidence to yetziat metzraim and matan torah it wouldn’t rattle you? It doesn’t bother me that much.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:18 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I agree with Rose. Historical articles can be notoriously biased in favor of the "theory of the month" and many have an agenda. In any case, wikipedia is definitely not a valid source, so this is not acceptable. I don't have time to read this right now, but I do know that there is much archeological evidence for a lot of other things. We will continue this debate (maybe) after pesach.

In the meantime, may I suggest that this topic no longer be debated on imamother. Very few of us have the time, or even the credentials, to sift through archeological evidence at this point in time, so perhaps move this argument to a different site as this is a frum site, and those of us here believe in Toras Moshe mi'sinai, or at least we should. Thank you.

Have you read the more recent archeological findings?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. I am ok with debate. For the record, dh and I are fairly intellectual, and both highly educated. I am just not sure why he is so bothered by this all of a sudden, though he says he really never knew.

So if you all were to find out, that the consensus of the archeological world is that there is no evidence to yetziat metzraim and matan torah it wouldn’t rattle you? It doesn’t bother me that much.

"Consensus of the archeological world"? You're joking, right?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
I think in writing, use of caps (also exclamation points), makes it seem that the writer is shouting. People often interpret it as a show of anger or some other emotion.

Yeah. Most people get angry when they get attacked. Really weird of them.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:

Doesn’t bother me very much. Also no evidence doesn’t mean that something didn’t happen.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:

No, my field is not archeology. Neither is yours.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:

Denim, you're the op, right? First you say that your dh read this on a un-named internet web site of bible critcism, and now you know all about "recent archeological findings"? Can you say this straight out - did you do research on this topic, or not? Are you REALLY asking imamothers if they know more about this, or is your point something different?

Because if you are REALLY someone with a degree in archeology, you should have stated that in your op. So that we can understand your question better.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:13 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

You used lots of caps in your first response to Scarlet amother's post, and her post was not at all directed at you personally

That caps usage may have made other posters who agreed with scarlet, feel that you were attacking scarlet.

Fwiw, I happen to agree with your points. I don't think you meant to attack at all, you were just being passionate.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
You used lots of caps in your first response to Scarlet amother's post, and her post was not at all directed at you personally

That caps usage may have made other posters who agreed with scarlet, feel that you were attacking scarlet.

Fwiw, I happen to agree with your points. I don't think you meant to attack at all, you were just being passionate.

What???? I responded to Maya, not to scarlet. Are you reading the same thing I'm reading?

OH, I see the post. I used caps for clarity, and there were very little caps, actually, when you count the percentage of caps as compared to the length of my post. As this is written, and not spoken, I had to use CAPS to emphasize certain words that I would have emphasized if I were speaking, if this is making any sense. Got it?

And, no, I don't think you're on my side.

Yael

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:26 pm
If anyone has any links or suggestions for reading material to share please do so.
Otherwise let’s put the discussion of archeological proofs to rest. Imamother isn’t really the right place for that kind of discussion.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:32 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Or scared

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
Or scared

Or purple or blue or pink. Let's keep speculating, shall we? What's your point?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
Or scared

You see, here is where the internet psychotherapy comes in...

amother thinks I'm scared... let's see, what clues does she have to think that way???

Hm... I must be scared because... got it!!! I'm scared because you want me to be scared!

No, darling, I'm not scared. Honestly, scared of what? Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

Yael

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 10:06 pm
let's stick to the topic, shall we?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 11:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
You see, here is where the internet psychotherapy comes in...

amother thinks I'm scared... let's see, what clues does she have to think that way???

Hm... I must be scared because... got it!!! I'm scared because you want me to be scared!

No, darling, I'm not scared. Honestly, scared of what? Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

Scared of having your views challenged

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Scared of having your views challenged

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
"Consensus of the archeological world"? You're joking, right?

No. How is that a joke?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
No. How is that a joke?

If you think there's an across-the-board consensus in the archeological world, you clearly don't know much about archeology.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics