Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Celiac intolerance

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 7:29 pm
What made you have ur child tested for celiac intolerance?
Is this something thats generally genetic?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 7:32 pm
My dr just sent us to test for this because dd wasnt gaining enough weight and is eating a nice amount. Bh came back fine.
Good luck I hope all turns out well.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
My dr just sent us to test for this because dd wasnt gaining enough weight and is eating a nice amount. Bh came back fine.
Good luck I hope all turns out well.

Did she have any other symptoms that made you think it could even be that?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 7:41 pm
Im also wondering if its something thats usually somewhat genetic

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 7:54 pm
Nope went for a well visit and she bearly gained weight in 6 mo so he wanted to see whats going on n sent us for blood work.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:05 pm
BTW It's a gluten intolerance. Not a celiac intolerance. Nobody wants to tolerate Celiac 😉

There are several reasons they suspect Celiac. If your child is not growing properly, stomach pains or weird stool etc.. But they can rule it out with a blood test. Even if the blood test comes back and they're suspicious, they will still do another test, checking the lining of the stomach to see if there's villi there. Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease, the body cannot tolerate gluten and will attack itself by destroying the villi. The villi is what absorbs nutrients. Without it, your child cannot receive the proper nutrients to grow.

Definitely genetic. People test whole family if one person has it.

Good Luck. And no matter what the outcome is, it's your attitude that shapes how your child perceives it. So positive attitude!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:09 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
BTW It's a gluten intolerance. Not a celiac intolerance. Nobody wants to tolerate Celiac 😉

There are several reasons they suspect Celiac. If your child is not growing properly, stomach pains or weird stool etc.. But they can rule it out with a blood test. Even if the blood test comes back and they're suspicious, they will still do another test, checking the lining of the stomach to see if there's villi there. Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease, the body cannot tolerate gluten and will attack itself by destroying the villi. The villi is what absorbs nutrients. Without it, your child cannot receive the proper nutrients to grow.

Definitely genetic. People test whole family if one person has it.

Good Luck. And no matter what the outcome is, it's your attitude that shapes how your child perceives it. So positive attitude!

Whats weird stool? I could stay that hes over 2 and could still have 2-3 dirty diapers a day and theyre usually more softish.
I dont have anyone relative from either side that suffers from gluten intolerance and small kids do run in the family.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Whats weird stool? I could stay that hes over 2 and could still have 2-3 dirty diapers a day and theyre usually more softish.
I dont have anyone relative from either side that suffers from gluten intolerance and small kids do run in the family.

Different color or texture. Sorry if TMI. But I don't think Celiac should be the first thing that comes to your mind in this case. Small kids do run in the family and as far as you know, no one has been diagnosed with Celiac. What in the world made you think Celiac?

If your kid is constantly complaining about stomach pains, and spends too much time on the seat, OK, but he might just have a natural inclination to be small boned. As he gets older, they may recommend a bone density test just to make sure he's where he should be growth-wise. No need to worry needlessly..

Good Luck!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 8:46 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Different color or texture. Sorry if TMI. But I don't think Celiac should be the first thing that comes to your mind in this case. Small kids do run in the family and as far as you know, no one has been diagnosed with Celiac. What in the world made you think Celiac?

If your kid is constantly complaining about stomach pains, and spends too much time on the seat, OK, but he might just have a natural inclination to be small boned. As he gets older, they may recommend a bone density test just to make sure he's where he should be growth-wise. No need to worry needlessly..

Good Luck!

Because last yr my dr sent me to a GI becauae he didnt gain weight and in the end they told me to put him back on milk (he was on rice dream cause I felt the milk was giving diharrea) and he got right back onto the chart. Fast fwd I havnt been at the dr in a half a year but hes still having what I think is more then the norm dirty pampers. Hes not showing any signs of stomach pain at though.
So the thought just re-entered my head.

Teomima

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:02 pm
True celiac is really not all that common. It's easy to check for though, your pediatrician can order a simple blood test and if that comes back negative, you can rule out celiac. If it comes back positive, then you'd do an endoscopy, which is a bit more complicated, but hopefully you won't have to bother.

I don't know if it tends to be genetic or not, but I do know my dh has celiac and so far my kids have all tested negative.

Btw, 2-3, or even 4, dirty diapers a day for a 2 year old is not something to worry about (if I understood your earlier post correctly, this was what was concerning you?)

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:06 pm
Teomima wrote:
True celiac is really not all that common. It's easy to check for though, your pediatrician can order a simple blood test and if that comes back negative, you can rule out celiac. If it comes back positive, then you'd do an endoscopy, which is a bit more complicated, but hopefully you won't have to bother.

I don't know if it tends to be genetic or not, but I do know my dh has celiac and so far my kids have all tested negative.

Btw, 2-3, or even 4, dirty diapers a day for a 2 year old is not something to worry about (if I understood your earlier post correctly, this was what was concerning you?)

Yea its the constant dirty pampers thats concerning somehow!

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Because last yr my dr sent me to a GI becauae he didnt gain weight and in the end they told me to put him back on milk (he was on rice dream cause I felt the milk was giving diharrea) and he got right back onto the chart. Fast fwd I havnt been at the dr in a half a year but hes still having what I think is more then the norm dirty pampers. Hes not showing any signs of stomach pain at though.
So the thought just re-entered my head.

It is genetic I'm afraid, but only 1 in 100 people are diagnosed with Celiac. Celiac can remain dormant in the body and sometimes won't "awaken" at all in people. I honestly don't believe you have to worry but as the previous poster said, a blood test will give u a heads up.. Don't worry..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics