Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Never worked before but...

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:48 pm
I goofed off in high school/sem, only going to the classes I liked and skipping the rest. I had plenty of Fs for the skipped classes, and As and Bs for the ones I did. I am not stupid, I am just highly creative, artistic, emotional, and psychological (INFP). Standard education (shut up, listen, spit it back) kills my dignity and spirit. Because of this school experience, I am very insecure about my brains. I start to panic when I hear numbers, forget about sitting down to solve math.
I am married for 8 years, have three children, and have been a SAHM all this time. I love it. But I always had a secret dream of becoming a psychologist. I am just terrified about the schooling! I cannot fathom how I can get myself to be motivated through school and pass classes that like algebra, statistics, and whatever else I find horrible. I feel stuck because my family could use the extra income, but I can't think of another job that doesn't require a degree that interests me.
I do have the luxury of time--I can take the time to go to collage and get a degree, even if it takes me 5 years. I just don't know if I can stay motivated/if I even have the brains to get through it. I have some sem credits (like half a BA) but that isn't accepted at every collage.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:52 pm
Would you be interested in a certificate program?
You wouldn't get a degree in psychology, but it can give you something fulfilling, and you can start working on your degree afterwards.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
Would you be interested in a certificate program?
You wouldn't get a degree in psychology, but it can give you something fulfilling, and you can start working on your degree afterwards.

like what?

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:01 pm
Instead of going for psychology, then, why not get a social work degree? Like an MFT or a MSW.

Miri7

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:08 pm
It sounds like you are very smart and are motivated when the topic interests you. I think you'd be successful at whatever interested you, so if you're interested in psychology, then I would go for it!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:08 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Instead of going for psychology, then, why not get a social work degree? Like an MFT or a MSW.

why, is that easier? I want to work clinically

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:26 pm
Op I'm much like you. My advice is to jump in and take 1 test at a time. I'm still insecure but a whole lot better after seeing my successes.
Ull see u arent the same as ur school yrs... Ur doing this for you now...

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
like what?

I know of a one year program in psychoanalysis. And a two year program in Carl Rogers style therapy. don't need a degree to get into either program.
It won't give you a license, but at least you can begin to connect with like minded ppl and start to feel satisfaction from going to classes that feed you.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

Well, then let me ask.

Are you now able to sit back and listen -- carefully and completely -- to things that don't particularly interest you? Because if not, how do you expect to be able to work with patients who may be boring as all h3ll. And your tuning out could have serious consequences for them.

IMNSHO, what you're claiming is a sign of your creative nature is actually a sign of a lack of maturity and discipline. With maturity, we recognize that there are things that we must do, whether or not we enjoy them, because they are a part of living, or a part of our careers. With discipline, we buckle down and do it. So have you matured beyond your high school days.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:

This worries me. You don't know anything about becoming a social worker or a marriage and family therapist when you were interested in seeing people clinically as a psychologist?

Google is your friend. Spend a few hours reading about what other people have done with their lives and then get down and figure it out.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 3:24 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
This worries me. You don't know anything about becoming a social worker or a marriage and family therapist when you were interested in seeing people clinically as a psychologist?

Google is your friend. Spend a few hours reading about what other people have done with their lives and then get down and figure it out.

Imorethanamother, I think op just doesn't know the lingo. OP, you are probably thinking of a degree in social work, not a degree in psychology. I'm not in the field, but my understanding is that a career in psychology requires a more advanced degree. A social work degree is adequate for what you are looking to do. And it's still going to be a few years. Don't forget, schooling is just as much work as a "real" job (BTDT), so if you are really serious about this, realize that it will take a lot of time and effort on your part.

If you are really serious and are ready to put in the time and money, look into the programs that work with frum people and see what they are about. Do your research and find out what will be required for the program, how long it will take, what the hours will be, and how much money. Once you have figured that out, everything else should fall into place...

I would not be worried about tests and classes, as I am sure you can apply yourself when the subject matter interests you and you are motivated. And there are many options for classes that may be more difficult, such as algebra or statistics, so I don't think you should worry about the academic part at all.

browser

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 3:50 pm
Nowadays I think ppl have to be careful when signing up for a degree program. Social workers and therapists do not make what they used to or get benefits like they used to.
Look into it extensively before assuming that it will be financially worthwhile. If there is something u can venture into slowly and carefully in a creative field , that would be something to consider. Like deaign or a small business
Wtvr u decide, good luck!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Well, then let me ask.

Are you now able to sit back and listen -- carefully and completely -- to things that don't particularly interest you? Because if not, how do you expect to be able to work with patients who may be boring as all h3ll. And your tuning out could have serious consequences for them.

IMNSHO, what you're claiming is a sign of your creative nature is actually a sign of a lack of maturity and discipline. With maturity, we recognize that there are things that we must do, whether or not we enjoy them, because they are a part of living, or a part of our careers. With discipline, we buckle down and do it. So have you matured beyond your high school days.

Thank-you. Not OP - but yesterday I really needed to read that. As a reminder, about being a grown-up. (and I'm gainfully employed)

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:58 pm
You can do it!!!!!!
I am the same, and am currently debating whether I should go back to school. The only difference is that I was never bright even when I was diligent in my studies. And so I am wondering if I will indeed be able to keep up with the pace of college. But it's something I really want to do.
I say GO FOR IT!!!

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 10:25 pm
browser wrote:
Nowadays I think ppl have to be careful when signing up for a degree program. Social workers and therapists do not make what they used to or get benefits like they used to.
Look into it extensively before assuming that it will be financially worthwhile
. If there is something u can venture into slowly and carefully in a creative field , that would be something to consider. Like deaign or a small business
Wtvr u decide, good luck!

THIS.

If you are doing it because your family needs money, I highly recommend pursuing a different field.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:11 pm
You say you have time, so why not just start taking some classes, see how they go, and if it's not working out then you reassess?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics