Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tanachi names that...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 4:02 pm
Shuly wrote:
Not Tanachi, but Rav Chaim says they're good names -
Ayala, Shoshana, Efrat, Chagit, Margalit

He also says that accepted Yiddish names are good names too.

Rav Chaim's sister's name was Ahuva.
Rav Elyashiv's daughter (sister of Rebetzin Kanievsky) was Aliza Shoshana.

Oh right, Chagit is tanachi and so is Efrat, another name for Miriam if I remember correctly. But are they always pronounced that way? I hesitate to use a name with "tav" because I know people named "Rus" and "Yonasan" and "Basya" and "Yehudis" but I don't know any "Chagis" or "Efras", so what do people do?

I do like Shoshana. It's on our list.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 4:19 pm
Penina (although I recently learned of a meforesh that one of her children died each time Chana had another baby)
Naama- wife of Noach
Shlomit- Zerubavel's daughter

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 5:29 pm
Osnat - wife of Yosef
Tzruya- mother of Yoav, Avishai, and Asael, who were David Hamelech's prized men
Yehosheva - a righteous queen
Tafat - a daughter of Shlomo (I actually know someone named Tafat)
Basmat - a daughter of Shlomo
Aviya - metnioned in Divrei Hayamim as wife of Chetzron, I don't know anything about who she was

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 5:32 pm
What is the source for Adina being the wife of Levi?

What is the source for Adina being the mother of Leah and Rachel?

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
Osnat - wife of Yosef
Tzruya- mother of Yoav, Avishai, and Asael, who were David Hamelech's prized men
Yehosheva - a righteous queen
Tafat - a daughter of Shlomo (I actually know someone named Tafat)
Basmat - a daughter of Shlomo
Aviya - metnioned in Divrei Hayamim as wife of Chetzron, I don't know anything about who she was

IMHO, please don't name an American girl any of these. I know a girl named Meirav (sister of Michal) and like Elisheva, Devora, Shifra, Yocheved, Avigayil and Adina. Not a huge fan of Tzila but it's so much prettier than Yehosheva, as wonderful as Yehosheva was.

What about feminizations of male names? Daniella, Gavriella, Yosefa?

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
What is the source for Adina being the wife of Levi?

What is the source for Adina being the mother of Leah and Rachel?

From Sefer HaYashar on Parshas Vayeshev (Sefaria):

ויקח לוי את עדינה ויששכר לקח את ארידה, ויביאום ארצה כנען בית אביהם. ותלד עדינה ללוי גרשון קהת ומררי, בנים שלושה. ואריזה ילדה לו ליששכר תולע ופוה ויוב ושמרון בנים ארבעה.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 6:02 pm
Yehudis

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 6:23 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
From Sefer HaYashar on Parshas Vayeshev (Sefaria):

ויקח לוי את עדינה ויששכר לקח את ארידה, ויביאום ארצה כנען בית אביהם. ותלד עדינה ללוי גרשון קהת ומררי, בנים שלושה. ואריזה ילדה לו ליששכר תולע ופוה ויוב ושמרון בנים ארבעה.

Thanks!

goodmorning

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:
Most of these are on my list. Miriam is actually my favorite, but it's my sister's name so I can't use it.

Miriam was actually named after the bitterness of the shibud in Mitzrayim. If you're ruling out names that appear to be "depressing," that might be on the top of the list. Of course, you can also choose to look at her for the inspiration as to what a baby born during a bitter time did with her life. You can think of it as naming your child after bitterness or you can think of it as naming after the neviah who symbolizes optimism, courage, and emunah during bitterness.

You can apply a similar analysis to any of the names that you did reject. Rochel was infertile. She was also a neviah and the mother of two shevatim of Klal Yisroel. She also was moser nefesh to give over the simanim to her sister to prevent her from being embarrassed, and in doing so, managed to arouse Hashem's mercy to bring us all back from galus. If you name your daughter after her, you are not davening that she experience the same struggles that Rochel did; you are davening that she exhibit the same thoughtfulness, generosity, and tenacity that Rochel exhibited. Can there be a better legacy for your daughter?

(etc. etc.)

Obviously, it's your choice what to name your children, but this policy not only limits you to a small handful of names, it prevents you from naming after some of the most strong, wonderful and inspiring women of our history. No one has a perfect life but you can choose to name after people who overcame the challenges that Hashem sent their way and turned their suffering into opportunities for accomplishment.

Out of curiosity, would you also not name your sons Avraham or Yaakov?

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 6:42 pm
Also, if Shoshana is considered "Tanachi" because it appears in Tanach even though it's not a name in Tanach, what about Gila, Rina, Tehilla, Nava, and so many lovely others?

goodmorning

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 7:07 pm
I don't remember seeing Avital mentioned. (One of Dovid Hamelech's wives; I don't think we know much about her.)

Yiska is another name for Sarah, but maybe you'd like it because it refers to specific (good) aspects of her character?

Rachav?

Yemima was one of Iyov's daughters (second time around and were known for their beauty). Also Keziya and Keren Hapuch but I can't imagine naming a daughter either of those.

Not Tanach, but Shlomit/Shlomtzion was a sister of R' Shimon ben Shetach and a queen of the Chashmonai dynasty.

And Yalta was the daughter of Rabba bar Abahu and wife of R' Nachman bar Yaakov, known as a wise and important woman.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 9:48 pm
Sounds like you will have to go with a name not from Tanach

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:02 am
amother wrote:
Am I wrong? I never actually asked a shaila, but I was under the impression one is not supposed to use names of close relatives who are still alive.

This is not the mainstream Ashkemaz costum (and certainly not sfardi, LoL). We don't name the same name as ancestors who are alive, so no parents grandparents or greats who may be alive. But the same name as a sibling or other similarly close relative is done all the time. I think you should check this out before you say you can't give so many names. You are placing too many restrictions on yourselves.

I personally vote for Tzivia I think it's your best bet and meets all your criteria.
Tzivia is a Tanachi name, she can be found in Sefer Melachim, she was a queen and the mother of one of the righteous Malchei Yisrael. A relative of mine is Tzivia Malka, which flows beautifully since the original Tzivia was a Queen.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:36 am
Iymnok wrote:
Yael seduced Sisra. She gave him I think strong wine, slept with him, then killed him with a stake.
I think there may be discussion about her Jewish status.

Thanks for explaining.

Was she single at the time?

I can see not using Yael if you don't want anything with a scandal at all, but in terms of having a good life, I don't see how that would ruin her life at all, I think it's glorious. She only slept with him once, so way better than Esther who had to be married to her guy, and better than being a slave or seeing your children killed, and possibly better than being one of multiple wives.

Sorry for getting off topic Very Happy

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:05 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for explaining.

Was she single at the time?

I can see not using Yael if you don't want anything with a scandal at all, but in terms of having a good life, I don't see how that would ruin her life at all, I think it's glorious. She only slept with him once, so way better than Esther who had to be married to her guy, and better than being a slave or seeing your children killed, and possibly better than being one of multiple wives.

Sorry for getting off topic Very Happy

Go open Sefer Shoftim. Perek ד׳
Yael was the wife of Chever haKeini. (פסוק י״ז)
She seduced him to enter her tent, gave him milk instead of water, covered him in a blanket then stabbed him with the stake.

Keini from one of the names of Yisro. It is not clear if he or his descendants converted or not. But that’s who Chever was. They were given a place to live in or near Eretz Yisroel.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:32 am
goodmorning wrote:
Miriam was actually named after the bitterness of the shibud in Mitzrayim. If you're ruling out names that appear to be "depressing," that might be on the top of the list. Of course, you can also choose to look at her for the inspiration as to what a baby born during a bitter time did with her life. You can think of it as naming your child after bitterness or you can think of it as naming after the neviah who symbolizes optimism, courage, and emunah during bitterness.

You can apply a similar analysis to any of the names that you did reject. Rochel was infertile. She was also a neviah and the mother of two shevatim of Klal Yisroel. She also was moser nefesh to give over the simanim to her sister to prevent her from being embarrassed, and in doing so, managed to arouse Hashem's mercy to bring us all back from galus. If you name your daughter after her, you are not davening that she experience the same struggles that Rochel did; you are davening that she exhibit the same thoughtfulness, generosity, and tenacity that Rochel exhibited. Can there be a better legacy for your daughter?

(etc. etc.)

Obviously, it's your choice what to name your children, but this policy not only limits you to a small handful of names, it prevents you from naming after some of the most strong, wonderful and inspiring women of our history. No one has a perfect life but you can choose to name after people who overcame the challenges that Hashem sent their way and turned their suffering into opportunities for accomplishment.

Out of curiosity, would you also not name your sons Avraham or Yaakov?

It's a good point about Miriam, but I was more thinking of these women's lives than about the technical meaning of their names. I suppose one could say "yes but she got tzaras" but personally, that's not what I think of when I think "Miriam" - I think brave girl who saved all the children by confronting her father, watched over her brother, suggested her mother as a wet nurse, led the women in song, etc. But we have a small family and I would feel funny using my sister's name even though she goes by her English name, so it is probably not on the list.

As for naming Avraham or Yaakov, probably not, but that is mostly because they are so common. I don't know Navi as well as I should, but DH wants to use some of the more obscure names from there. We don't have any boys yet, so we'll see what he comes up with.

And regarding your other posts with suggestions, thanks! I like Yiska, Yemima might be a possibility, not such a fan of Avital.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:37 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
Also, if Shoshana is considered "Tanachi" because it appears in Tanach even though it's not a name in Tanach, what about Gila, Rina, Tehilla, Nava, and so many lovely others?

Shoshana is not Tanachi, but it is on our list. It's not a hard and fast rule or anything, but we do turn to Tanach first for names. Tehilla is actually one of my favorites that I hadn't mentioned yet in this thread, thanks for bringing it up.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 5:48 am
tichellady wrote:
Sounds like you will have to go with a name not from Tanach

Not necessarily. My original list was Devora, Elisheva, Tzipora. Thanks to this thread, I've added Tirtza, Avigayil, Yehudis, Shifra, Adina, Tzila, Tzivya, Yiska, Yemima, maybe Yocheved, maybe Miriam if I ask a shaila. I actually really like Shifra, Adina, and Yiska and will be pushing for them.

And we have names not from Tanach too. Tehilla, Shoshana, Nechama, Chaya, Ahuva.

I don't think we are lacking choices. Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

weasley

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
What is the source for Adina being the mother of Rochel and leah??

I'm not sure the source but R Chaim Kanievsky writes it in his book on names.

weasley

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 7:08 am
Then again being devils advocate - Adina was also the wife of Lavan.

But R Chaim Kanievsky writes in his book that if she had 2 daughters as great as Rochel and leah it means she must have been a great women.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names