Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How I went from 166lbs to 130lbs (5'9") in one year no exerc

westcoastgirl

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:05 pm
So my highest weight was 166lbs. I have a bone spur on my hip that causes pain if I run too much, bend my leg a certain way, or even go up stairs. I did not exercise besides the normal day to day walking. My weight seemed to keep climbing higher and higher. I decided to track my calories using an app on my phone. All I did was input the food and drinks that I consumed and it filled in the nutrition info for me. I was really shocked at how many calories were in everything.

I used to drink the fancy coffees and found out that they can be a real calorie "bomb". My favorite coffee was 400 calories on its own! And some days I would have two! So I started making coffee at home, just a bit of honey and milk to bring that down to <100 calories and still get my coffee fix. There is a comedian that calls the fancy coffees "adult milkshakes". Very Happy

I used to snack on the little packs of planters peanuts, 290 calories for a tiny bag! They also contain MSG or even corn syrup on the dry roasted ones. I cannot stop eating them once I open the bags, no matter if I close them up and put them away, I will be back for more. So I stopped eating them. I also cut out snack cakes, cookies, candy, bread.

I looked at ingredients, not just for sugar but corn syrup, flour, MSG, any extra ingredients. Food companies put these ingredients in their products because they are addictive as they are quick fuel for your body. I found that after I stopped eating so much junk I was not as hungry as I used to be. I now snack on carrot or celery or apple slices with hummus a <200 calorie filling snack. I stopped craving those other foods because I didn't eat them anymore. I find a plain apple refreshing. A big banana in the morning is filling now when before I had to make myself a breakfast sandwich.

I also had this belief that I had to feel full after every meal and could never skip a meal or this would harm me somehow. I thought my body knew how much I should eat and the full feeling was it telling me that it had the amount it needed. Nope! I eat less now and have more energy. Also I used to be constipated a lot back when I weighed more. I think it was from stuffing myself so much that my body could not digest my previous meal before I was stuffing it again because it was "eating time" even if I was not hungry. Now, I have healthy you-knows. I'm surprised how much comes out!

I keep my calories down in the week and on Shabbos I will eat whatever I want, including cake, potatoes, bread, wine, and just enjoy my life. My weight does not budge because of this one day.

During the holidays however I did gain 10lbs enjoying myself eating but it went back down slowly over the course of two weeks and returned to 130lbs, even eating what I wanted on Shabbos again.

So this is what I did, I hope this helps you guys also.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:07 pm
Just one question - how old are you? (You don't have to give the exact age, but around, like 20's, 30's etc.)

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:09 pm
Wow amazing congrats. Would you mind sharing the app you used. I need to loose 30 pounds as well.

westcoastgirl

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:12 pm
35. The app was myfitnesspal. It has a website https://www.myfitnesspal.com/ with a message board that is really active and supportive. There are other ones but this is the one that I used.

westcoastgirl

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 9:19 pm
Oh also one thing that I learned from reading articles about weight loss is that the reason some people's metabolism gets slower as they get older is that they are losing muscle due to not exercising them. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. As adults we don't have "play time" like when we were younger or PE/gym class like we had in school. Many people today have sedentary jobs and go from sitting on the couch to sitting in their car to sitting in their office chair, maybe being active on the weekend. So that is a big factor rather than just age.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:22 pm
I always wonder, "Doesn't everyone know?" about things like milk-shake style coffee and the nuts you mentioned etc. But I guess people don't. Congrats on educating yourself.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 3:00 am
I live my fitness pal. I find that for me drinking 2 litres of water a day really helps me

Reality

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:03 am
A few points:

1. 130 for 5'9" is pretty low. Do you have a small frame?

2. I am glad this worked for you but I don't think your weight loss advice is sound. To say now I only eat a banana for breakfast instead of a sandwich well that's not a healthy balanced meal! I wouldn't advocate for anyone to emulate that meal plan!

3. To lose fat and not muscle tissue exercise is really important. I understand you have an injury but that doesn't mean all exercise is taboo! I am sure there is low impact exercise you can do to maintain your muscular health. Some examples are swimming and resistance bands. Also chair exercises.

4. Cutting out unhealthy prepared food and drinks is wonderful but I wouldn't lump all bread in the same category. There are healthy stone ground 100% whole grain breads that are tasty and good for you when eaten in a proper portion.

gnomey

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:23 am
Great work! I have also lost (postpartum) weight using the myfitnesspal app, I'm down to my pre-pregnancy weight and would like to lose a little more. I find that exercising while trying to lose weight can hamper progress, because it makes me more hungry. When I'm in maintenance I will incorporate more workouts.

I think your advice is fine. There's nothing wrong with having a fruit for breakfast so long as you are getting the correct amount of calories, protein, etc. throughout the day. Everyone has to break up their meals as best works for them. Some people do best with "saving" their calories for a bigger meal at dinner or eating 6 evenly-sized tiny meals throughout the day.

Also, 130 is well within the range of healthy weight for your height. Congratulations and I hope you feel accomplished!

westcoastgirl

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:39 am
I agree that as long as you are eating properly throughout the day, not every meal has to include every food group. I know some people who do not eat breakfast at all, they were not raised that way. It is not true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. On fast days I noticed I am not even hungry until noon.

I have a small frame. My BMI is 19.2 the healthy range is 18.5–24.9. Underweight is anything under 18.5.

Also I am not saying don't exercise, but if you don't or can't then there is still hope to lose weight. I would love to go swimming but there is not modest swimming near me. I have my walking and that's what my body can handle and I am ok with that.

champion

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:41 am
gnomey wrote:
I find that exercising while trying to lose weight can hamper progress,

The reason to this is that usually when you start working out you gain muscle mass, which weighs more than a fat tissue. So even though you are loosing 'em fats, the scale will sing a different song.
This can go on for about a month and a half!!
Thats why so many people give up.
A better way to check if you are loosing fat weight is to use a simple tape measure. If you are loosing inches you are headed in the right direction.
Another good tip is to eat a small but balanced meal right after the workout.
That way you will not end up STARVING and eat the whole fridge.
In addition, the food you consume after working out will be used efficiently in your body. It will go to repair the muscles you just strained and to fill 'em up with the glucose you just emptied them of.

champion

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:43 am
And OP you are amazing!! Great job!
Inspiration!

gnomey

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:53 am
Actually I meant that it hampers my progress because it increases my appetite. It is actually really hard to build substantial muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit (ask any body builder!). Especially if you are doing cardiovascular/aerobic exercise and not serious weight lifting. The weight gain that people see when first starting exercise is more likely fluid than big muscle gains.

I think exercise is great and an important part of a healthy lifestyle, for me it's just not a necessary/helpful thing to add in while actively losing weight, which is not a permanent state of being. The extra calories allotted at maintenance really help me get in great workouts and feel great.

champion

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 10:00 am
gnomey wrote:
Actually I meant that it hampers my progress because it increases my appetite. It is actually really hard to build substantial muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit (ask any body builder!). Especially if you are doing cardiovascular/aerobic exercise and not serious weight lifting. The weight gain that people see when first starting exercise is more likely fluid than big muscle gains.

I think exercise is great and an important part of a healthy lifestyle, for me it's just not a necessary/helpful thing to add in while actively losing weight, which is not a permanent state of being. The extra calories allotted at maintenance really help me get in great workouts and feel great.

I am glad you found a way that works for you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 10:15 am
I’m so happy to see people can actually lose weight without exercise postpartum. This is my biggest issue because I am not allowed to exercise at all until I am done with therapy. My last few pregnancies have been marked by pelvic girdle dysfunction that makes exercise painful and counterproductive. I’m much heavier than I want to be because I haven’t been able to lose between pregnancies.

ichbingreit

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:08 pm
ok im really not meaning to be the partypooper here but Im 5''9 also which is quite tall and even though im not the skinny minny Im by no means fat....I weigh 154 pounds and if id be 130 id def be anorexic! just dont get how thats even realistic

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:24 pm
ichbingreit wrote:
ok im really not meaning to be the partypooper here but Im 5''9 also which is quite tall and even though im not the skinny minny Im by no means fat....I weigh 154 pounds and if id be 130 id def be anorexic! just dont get how thats even realistic

Yes. I'm just above 5 10" and I'm super skinny when 166 lbs. anything less than that I'd probably look sick. I guess it goes by build and frame . It's just very interesting how we can all be similar height yet have completely different body types.

gnomey

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:30 pm
Both 130 and 154 are normal weights for 5’9”. To be anorexic (underweight), you would need to be under 125 lbs. Each to their own, I’m not sure why it’d bother you if OP feels better at a different healthy weight than you prefer.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 10:20 pm
I’m 5.6 and I was 110 pounds when I got married and was very healthy looking. Now I’m 166 and would love to lose just 30 pounds but it’s soooooooo hard with kids and their baking and cooking with them and it’s fun but I love it but I’ve got to stop 😰
I need someone to keep reminding me when I’m at work I eat very healthy once I get home that’s it 😬 I eat everything none stop

westcoastgirl

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 10:49 pm
ichbingreit wrote:

So I am in the healthy range for our height which is between 125 lbs to 168 lbs. Being on the lower end of the healthy range is not being "anorexic". I don't know what you mean that it is not "realistic." What is unrealistic about swapping unhealthy high calorie food for healthy food?

Anorexic is not another word for skinny or thin. It is not an insult. It is an illness. Anorexia is a severe and deadly disorder where the person is not eating and may starve themselves to death. This comes along with a fear of gaining weight, distorted body image, preoccupation with what they eat. Being anorexic leads to a host of physical problems, menstrual, skin, problems, heart irregularities, hair loss, etc.

Learn more from https://www.nationaleatingdiso.....rexia
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise