Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Only 1 Toothbrush?!?!?
1  2  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 11:55 pm
Last month, my dh's brother and a few of his kids came to stay with us in the US. They live in Israel and they have double-digit kids, who are all about a year apart. While helping them get ready for bed, they went to get their toothbrush, only they ALL SHARE ONE!!! I think including their father, though I'm not sure. I said, I have extra toothbrushes, and they said, no, they're used to this, they do this at home. I thought they were embarrassed, so I mentioned to (American born) bil that I have extra toothbrushes and he said, no they just have one to share because it's easier. Like it's easier to keep track of one instead of 13, so each person can have one. Is this normal?? It made me so sad. FYI - It's NOT the money.

Mommy2m

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:00 am
No that's really gross. Also, it's an easy way for germs to spread fast (strep, canker sore etc)

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:23 am

Nope.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:33 am
I guess everything family has their "weird thing"?

In my family, there are like 3 toothpastes; nobody can agree on one. And about 17 or 18 toothbrushes. No exaggeration. We buy them at Costco. As soon as the bristles wear out, we throw out.. But we divide by color. So that's pretty weird too. When my daughters brushed their teeth they would brush first with one paste, then go for the latest "crest" whitener, then do something weird with baking soda and lemon juice, I kid you not!

So, every family has their "weird" stuff.

Also, a bath towel has never been used twice yet, that I know of. Once it's used, my family always considered it "dirty" even though they used it on a spotless body. So into the wash it goes.

Also, no leftovers. It gets given away to relatives or eaten as a midnight snack but never as a meal. I actually cook a full supper every sunday😓

I know. Weird. While the toothbrush thing does sound gross, I gotta say that when my kids see people reusing bath towels, they think it's gross too.

So maybe to them, it's OK..

My friend cuts vegetables only wearing disposable rubber gloves. She won't touch food.

Another friend eats mashed potatoes with canned corn mixed in.

We are all weird to someone...

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:55 am
I buy every child their own toothbrush.
But it turns out they all share...

I buy my kids their own beds.
A number of them choose to sleep on the floor...

Sometimes if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.
I could totally hear having one good toothbrush to share and selling the beds and getting better sleeping bags.

I don't do it, but I do hear it.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:56 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:

In my family, there are like 3 toothpastes; nobody can agree on one. And about 17 or 18 toothbrushes. No exaggeration. We buy them at Costco. As soon as the bristles wear out, we throw out.. But we divide by color. So that's pretty weird too. When my daughters brushed their teeth they would brush first with one paste, then go for the latest "crest" whitener, then do something weird with baking soda and lemon juice, I kid you not!

Also, a bath towel has never been used twice yet, that I know of. Once it's used, my family always considered it "dirty" even though they used it on a spotless body. So into the wash it goes.

Also, no leftovers. It gets given away to relatives or eaten as a midnight snack but never as a meal. I actually cook a full supper every sunday😓

I know. Weird. While the toothbrush thing does sound gross, I gotta say that when my kids see people reusing bath towels, they think it's gross too.

My friend cuts vegetables only wearing disposable rubber gloves. She won't touch food.

The difference, is that you are apologetically uber clean. They are the opposite. While I don't think someone should toss the towel in the wash after the first use, I also don't think the entire family should share 1 towel, due to cleanliness issues. Yes, we're all different, but I think that there are some standards that we all should keep. And, I'm not crazy clean but, I think having your own toothbrush is basic. I wouldn't want to share my towel or underwear either.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:15 am
If they brought the one toothbrush to America, what were the rest of the family, left home in Israel, doing? :shudder:

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:19 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
If they brought the one toothbrush to America, what were the rest of the family, left home in Israel, doing? :shudder:

🤣

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:22 am
While I would like 5o say "sharing underwear?!? My thought is that I don't want to insult anyone who might. And I'm kinda sure somewhere, this has happened. Just "kinda" though... I'm hoping you're speaking in hyperbole..

Miri7

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:30 am
I have 5 kids and between them they have about 14 toothbrushes. While it's not our policy to share, I'm convinced that some toothbrushes "belong" to more than one kid. I try not to think about it too much.

When we travel we pack about 6 toothbrushes for the kids. They also use 3 different toothpastes.

Growing up, my father never ever ever ate leftovers. We also ate as a family every night with cloth napkins and placemats, silverware, serving dishes on the table. My mother made a lovely dinner every single night. (We eat leftovers at my house now regularly.)

One of my good friends told me that in her house growing up, they had color coded towels. Each person had their own color towels, hand towels, and bath cloths. They NEVER used someone else's towel. When she comes home to visit, her mother pulls out "her" color towels for her family to use. How strange! I've never heard of this.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:32 am
Not what I want to do my in my family but not a cause for concern. It’s probably good for their immune systems 😀

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:47 am
I have three little kids and probably a rotation of 6 toothbrushes. Unfortunately I don't keep track so if I got myself enough together to brush their teeth that night I just grab the closest toothbrush. Yikes, I know!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:48 am
amother wrote:
I buy every child their own toothbrush.
But it turns out they all share...

I buy my kids their own beds.
A number of them choose to sleep on the floor...

Are you me? We have more than enough toothbrushes and my kids still share. And more often than not I find them sharing beds too.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:49 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
While I would like 5o say "sharing underwear?!? My thought is that I don't want to insult anyone who might. And I'm kinda sure somewhere, this has happened. Just "kinda" though... I'm hoping you're speaking in hyperbole..

Pretty common for kids to share underwear!

MrsDash

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:39 am

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 3:11 am
Light up or other exciting stuff keeps them separate in my house.
But they still insist on the gross strawberry flavored toothpaste.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 4:29 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:

Ever thought of taking the "dirty" towel used once and pretend it's going to the laundry. Instead you fold it nicely and put it back in the closet. Nobody will know the difference. Except you. Wink

rowo

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 6:04 am
This instagram blogger who I follow, has the most beautiful pictures, gorgeous kids, always dressed stylishly, successful, nice home etc etc
They traveled around the world for a year blogging the whole time. Just beautiful and interesting photos (and I realised how much more complicated it is to travel as kosher keeping jew😜). One of her posts was about how they simplified packing and traveling with a few kids. They share ONE TOOTHBRUSH.
I found it so weird!
I understand limiting and simplifying clothing, shoes and toys, but how much space do a few toothbrushes take up???

So OP I guess they're not the only ones... but I'm also from the camp of having about 15 toothbrushes for 4 kids.
(I've also read that people have different bacteria in their mouths and sharing that bacteria could increase the chance of cavities)

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 6:06 am
I would love to see a pack of toothbrushes that come with a way to personalise each one for large families. I'm pretty sure my toddler uses mine if he can't find his. We also have way more toothbrushes then people.

happy12

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:21 am
[quote="Bnei Berak 10"]Ever thought of taking the "dirty" towel used once and pretend it's going to the laundry. Instead you fold it nicely and put it back in the closet. Nobody will know the difference. Except you. Wink[/quote
No. Everyone in the family has there own towel and uses it a few times before it goes in the wash. No sharing germs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics