Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Non stop talking-social anxiety

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 9:03 am
My 5 year old DD talks non stop, literally!! She keeps repeating things & always needs to be heard. She doesn't give me a chance to hear out the others. Is non stop talking a sign of social anxiety??

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
My 5 year old DD talks non stop, literally!! She keeps repeating things & always needs to be heard. She doesn't give me a chance to hear out the others. Is non stop talking a sign of social anxiety??
What makes you think social anxiety? Is she an anxious child in general? I've seen non-stop talking listed as a symptom of OCD. Repeating things is another clue that it may be OCD.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 9:48 am
amother wrote:

Same question here. Why are you thinking social anxiety? Does she seem to have anxiety in social settings? Some little kids like to talk a lot. I wouldn’t right away think OCD if I met a five year old who loves attention.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 10:08 am
I think social anxiety because she's a bit anxious in general. I think she's talking just to make sure someone is there & listening to her. Like when she's home alone with me or DH she keeps talking just to make sure we didn't go anywhere.
I wouldn't think OCD as she's not in any other area.
Is there something to do for mild anxiety in kids?

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 10:13 am
How aware are you of giving her undivided attention at times, and acknowledging what she says most of the time?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 10:40 am
She gets a lot of individual attention, more than any other kid as she's my only child in pre school & she leaves an hour after the rest & comes home 2 hours earlier. Then she gets my full attention. When to others come home & I talk to them she keeps on interrupting & wants me to listen to her. She's also a big complainer & searches for boo boo's all day so we should
Give her attention. I don't know what to make of it.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 1:55 pm
Take her and her boo boos very seriously and eventually it'll calm down. We can't always diagnose and fix things as soon as we'd like to. I've seen so many children just like that turn out fine and some turn out very insecure with social issues. If you see other disturbing factors then an evaluation would be ideal to be sure there is no underlying reasons. However all YOU can do is be kind and understanding.
She SHOULD learn however to let others have their turn even if she isn't happy about it. When it's quiet at home just u and her id tell her a story of a little girl who was sad alot because she never had a chance to tell her mommy all the things that happened in school since her brother was always talking...
(Sorry no time to go into more detail but u can figure it out- use imagination on that!) Help her see it's about turn taking and NOT about who mommy WANTS to talk to... Show her on the clock when it's her time to talk and when it's others turn. When she interrupts smile and remind her it's someone elses turn... Be kind and firm for best outcome. It may take many yrs to see results

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 2:02 pm
There's a wonderful book out there https://www.amazon.com/Low-Pri.....014e9

Children's Hospital uses this book for parenting classes, and we got a lot of good out of it. It has exercises, "what if's", and social stories to help younger children express themselves, and tells you how to deal with the feelings.

We discovered that we were actually making DD worse, by reassurring her too much!

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
There's a wonderful book out there https://www.amazon.com/Low-Pri.....014e9

Children's Hospital uses this book for parenting classes, and we got a lot of good out of it. It has exercises, "what if's", and social stories to help younger children express themselves, and tells you how to deal with the feelings.

We discovered that we were actually making DD worse, by reassurring her too much!

FranticFrummie the link doesn't seem to be working for me. What is the name and author of the book? It sounds like a worthwhile read.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics