Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Chickenpox baby
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:47 pm
happyone wrote:
Good luck ! Did doc prescribe an anti viral to reduce symptoms? Hang in there!

no. they just contacted ID again, but b'H her temp didn't go up too high, so not treating it for now.

giselle

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
And that's why vaccinated people hurt us just as much as unvaccinated because not only don't we know they're carriers, we don't guard ourselves from them because, well, they're vaccinated.

This is a ridiculous statement.

happyone

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:53 pm
Just be careful around trach area. Risk is it shouldn't spread to internal trach area. After smearing cream disinfect really well prior to suctioning.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:56 pm
To soothe your baby try caladryl on the pox.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:58 pm
happyone wrote:
Just be careful around trach area. Risk is it shouldn't spread to internal trach area. After smearing cream disinfect really well prior to suctioning.

I didn't put anything around the trach because I didn't want it going into the stoma. but she literally has a pox coming out of the stoma Sad. I dunno what to do?

happyone

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't put anything around the trach because I didn't want it going into the stoma. but she literally has a pox coming out of the stoma Sad. I dunno what to do?
Sad
Let ENT/pulmonary know and see If he suggests any precautionary measures. Hatzlocha .

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:25 pm
happyone wrote:
Sad
Let ENT/pulmonary know and see If he suggests any precautionary measures. Hatzlocha .

yes! thank you for reminding me. was gonna text ENT right after the zman. but it slipped my mind while I was waiting for her pcp to call back.
anyway, spoke to on-call now, he actually said its ok to put a little ointment around stoma!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:51 am
doodlesmom wrote:
To soothe your baby try caladryl on the pox.

my husband was told by the pharmacy not to use it over large area for baby.
is that so? he also bought calamine lotion so I shmeared that all over but wondering if the caladryl is more effective?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:52 am
anyone heard of using chlorophyll over the pox?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 2:20 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I'm sorry you are going through this. Some kids are too young to get their second chicken pox booster and will get the chicken pox even though they had one shot already. It's usually a milder case. But not all chickenpox cases are because of people intentionally not vaccinating.
Hope your baby gets better soon and that it's not a serious case.

No time to respond to all posts. but just wanted to say that I know that e/t is from H' and her procedure would be canceled even if she would just have the sniffles as they will not allow her to go under anesthesia.
fact is though, that there are very many 'smart alecks' (and I'm not referring to those who have allergies or other neuro issues etc who want to avoid vaccines) and not vaccinating takes away from herd immunity. (also not referring to varicella vaccine davka)

Now you'll say that the onus is on us parents of sick kids to keep them away, as poster 1091 commented, it is easier said then done. we try as hard as we can. yes, I have become the snobby neighbor who doesn't allow any kids in the house.

H' orchestrated that Purim she was in the same room as her cousin (for a few minutes!) who was exposed to chicken pox, and I had no clue. said cousin came down with the pox 2 days after purim. p.s. her mom says that their 'town' is teeming with the pox...

so although her condition gets exacerbated every time she's sick, it wouldn't have bothered me as much if this would be another time. cancelling her treatment/procedure is a major major setback.
Gam zu letovah. obviously H' has something good in store for us/her. and who knows? maybe we will still get to see the tovah of this...
Thank you again ladies for all the brachos and well wishes. keep her in your tefilos please!
We hope to be able to report good news...
Gut voch & happy Pesach cleaning/cooking!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:07 am
amother wrote:
No time to respond to all posts. but just wanted to say that I know that e/t is from H' and her procedure would be canceled even if she would just have the sniffles as they will not allow her to go under anesthesia.
fact is though, that there are very many 'smart alecks' (and I'm not referring to those who have allergies or other neuro issues etc who want to avoid vaccines) and not vaccinating takes away from herd immunity. (also not referring to varicella vaccine davka)

Now you'll say that the onus is on us parents of sick kids to keep them away, as poster 1091 commented, it is easier said then done. we try as hard as we can. yes, I have become the snobby neighbor who doesn't allow any kids in the house.

H' orchestrated that Purim she was in the same room as her cousin (for a few minutes!) who was exposed to chicken pox, and I had no clue. said cousin came down with the pox 2 days after purim. p.s. her mom says that their 'town' is teeming with the pox...

so although her condition gets exacerbated every time she's sick, it wouldn't have bothered me as much if this would be another time. cancelling her treatment/procedure is a major major setback.
Gam zu letovah. obviously H' has something good in store for us/her. and who knows? maybe we will still get to see the tovah of this...
Thank you again ladies for all the brachos and well wishes. keep her in your tefilos please!

Poor Bubba. And you're right, your child could have had just a fever and would've had to reschedule surgery anyway.

You should be aware though, that with an immunocompromised child, you are always at risk for communicable diseases. Even the vaccinated will carry the disease without showing symptoms so in times of outbreak I'd keep her far away from everyone (this is why here immunity is not so clear cut).

Another thing to look out for is recently vaccinated people from chicken pox and flu. Both of these vaccines are live, and therefore have the potential to shed for up to 21 days. Your child's pox may well have originated from a vaccine. I wish her a refuah sheleima. And please don't give her ibuprofen during chicken pox as it could cause very serious problems, including secondary infection and septicemia CV.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:09 am
Boca00 wrote:
OP, any updates?

Just a few weeks ago I thought my 2 year old had chicken pox and rushed him to the doc but BH it was just a strep rash that resembled it.

Refuah sheleima and please keep us posted!

It's very irresponsible to go to you doctor's when you suspect chicken pox. That's exactly how you would spread the disease to an immunocompromised child. Doctors can't treat chicken pox so a phone call would suffice, or in the worst case a home visit.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
Poor Bubba. And you're right, your child could have had just a fever and would've had to reschedule surgery anyway.

You should be aware though, that with an immunocompromised child, you are always at risk for communicable diseases. Even the vaccinated will carry the disease without showing symptoms so in times of outbreak I'd keep her far away from everyone (this is why here immunity is not so clear cut).

Another thing to look out for is recently vaccinated people from chicken pox and flu. Both of these vaccines are live, and therefore have the potential to shed for up to 21 days. Your child's pox may well have originated from a vaccine. I wish her a refuah sheleima. And please don't give her ibuprofen during chicken pox as it could cause very serious problems, including secondary infection and septicemia CV.

I didn't give her motrin because I once heard that people with her condition shouldn't get motrin (not in a medically proven way but anecdotal) but her pcp said to give motrin. so I'm surprised that they wouldn't know about this..

she is too young for the varicella vaccine but she actually got the flu vaccine 4 weeks ago as her doctors were all of the opinion that she must get the flushot. ironically she was due for a booster this Thursday and I begged the doctor to postpone as I was concerned if she'll develop any symptoms so close to her procedure. the second ironic thing is that on Tuesday we went to the pediatrician for medical clearance/well visit. she really wanted her to get another set of vaccines but being that 1) she was febrile that morning b) she was so close to treatment, vaccines were postponed..

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 3:22 am
amother wrote:
It's very irresponsible to go to you doctor's when you suspect chicken pox. That's exactly how you would spread the disease to an immunocompromised child. Doctors can't treat chicken pox so a phone call would suffice, or in the worst case a home visit.

we emailed pics to her pediatrician (they didn't want her in clinic, besides which it is a 1 hr drive away)

Ma3

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 5:54 am
I didn't read all the posts, but chicken pox is not a dangerous disease, yet it is highly contagious. Any person that their immune system is compromised shouldn't be near a sick person even with strep. Do you want to give shots for strep too? Students in my class that had chicken pox were actually vaccinated and got it from other kids that were vaccinated as well. Some parents aren't very careful about exposing their kids who have been vaccinated when they get a mild case of chicken pox, because they believe that they're not contagious, BUT THEY ARE! Refuah Shelaima to your child!

happy12

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:

Another thing to look out for is recently vaccinated people from chicken pox and flu. Both of these vaccines are live, and therefore have the potential to shed for up to 21 days.

The flu shot is NOT from live viruses. (The nasal mist was but it is no longer given.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:41 am
happy12 wrote:
The flu shot is NOT from live viruses. (The nasal mist was but it is no longer given.

Yes you are correct my mistake. It's still given in the UK. Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:25 am
I don't have time to read the thread.
OP, I wish you well, and hope your fears are unfounded.
Interesting thing about the chicken pox vaccine. About 25 years ago the CW was that it was find to waive the shot till about 10, to see if your kids naturally get it. If not, then get it because it's harder after age 10.
Which is what a lot of people did. There wasn't the same fear of cpox as say, MMR, etc, and there was the concern that we didn't know how long it would last, if boosters were needed, etc.
IF I were in the parsha now, because cpox has become so uncommon, I'm sure I'd get my kids the shot.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 12:01 pm
Being this topic is so HOT and important, there should be a way to discuss this in a healthy way. At least for those are on the edge and being influenced by those around them like I was.

I personally would like to see a study on those affected by vaccines and those affected by the decease itself. How are those who have side affects to the shot also going to be affected by decease itself. Is it worse or better with shot?
A study of the side affects of those who had the decease and those who had side affect of shots. The numbers etc. Is this information available?

In the end it is Hashem who rules the world and there is so much we don't see. Yet Hashem gave us free choice and it should be used with knowledge and good thinking. We have to understand the herd immunity and take responsibility for our decisions how it affects us and our fellow being etc.

I understand the Lubavither Rebbe said (about the shots being given) to go according to what is usually done. (I don't have the exact loshon) After delaying the shots for a number of years I did give those shots that were mandatory, after hearing what the Rebbe said.
Wishing your baby a refuah Shelaima. May you have good news IH.

iyar

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:

I haven't had time to read everything here, took a peek to see how baby is doing.
OP, have you posted her name above and I missed it?
Please don't feel I'm trying to invade your privacy. We can have her in mind without a name too.
Refuah shleima!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics