Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Chickenpox baby
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:51 pm
The varicella vaccine sheds, so your baby is more likely to catch chicken pox from a RECENTLY VACCINATED individual. That's why, in the hospital policy book in the (top notch) hospital where I gave birth, they had a no-visitor policy for anyone vaccinated with varicella within previous SIX WEEKS. The hospital is not a crazy anti vaxxer. They are just super up to date with science and acknowledge that certain vaccines cause the actual illness to those around them.
But be my guest...if it makes you happy to blame those antivaxxers, then go for it. Like so many things going on in the world today, you have your facts precisely backwards. So much sheker.

(PS - my neighbor's 18 month old came down with chicken pox after her 4 year old was vaccinated against it. And the had to miss a family wedding. And her extremely pro-vaccine pediatrician said that he sees this every so often. One gets from the other's shot).

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
The varicella vaccine sheds, so your baby is more likely to catch chicken pox from a RECENTLY VACCINATED individual. That's why, in the hospital policy book in the (top notch) hospital where I gave birth, they had a no-visitor policy for anyone vaccinated with varicella within previous SIX WEEKS. The hospital is not a crazy anti vaxxer. They are just super up to date with science and acknowledge that certain vaccines cause the actual illness to those around them.
But be my guest...if it makes you happy to blame those antivaxxers, then go for it. Like so many things going on in the world today, you have your facts precisely backwards. So much sheker.

(PS - my neighbor's 18 month old came down with chicken pox after her 4 year old was vaccinated against it. And the had to miss a family wedding. And her extremely pro-vaccine pediatrician said that he sees this every so often. One gets from the other's shot).

You're a mean woman.

OP's last post told everyone that her already sick child has Chickenpox, but this is what you come to discuss in a sassy post, filled with blame.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
You're a mean woman.

OP's last post told everyone that her already sick child has Chickenpox, but this is what you come to discuss in a sassy post, filled with blame.

How did I blame her? I discussed facts. She was blaming her baby's chicken pox on unvaccinated kids. Statiscally, it's many times more likely he picked it up from a recently vaccinated kid. I wasn't blaming. What's mean about facts? "Sassy?" Typical. You can't answer the facts I brought up so you just name call.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
Being this topic is so HOT and important, there should be a way to discuss this in a healthy way. At least for those are on the edge and being influenced by those around them like I was.

I personally would like to see a study on those affected by vaccines and those affected by the decease itself. How are those who have side affects to the shot also going to be affected by decease itself. Is it worse or better with shot?
A study of the side affects of those who had the decease and those who had side affect of shots. The numbers etc. Is this information available?

In the end it is Hashem who rules the world and there is so much we don't see. Yet Hashem gave us free choice and it should be used with knowledge and good thinking. We have to understand the herd immunity and take responsibility for our decisions how it affects us and our fellow being etc.

I understand the Lubavither Rebbe said (about the shots being given) to go according to what is usually done. (I don't have the exact loshon) After delaying the shots for a number of years I did give those shots that were mandatory, after hearing what the Rebbe said.
Wishing your baby a refuah Shelaima. May you have good news IH.

Oy. Disease, not decease. It hurts my eyes, especially in a thread about medical issues.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:00 am
For OP and anyone else with chicken pox going around, larrea tridentata herb is very effective in relieving symptoms.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
For OP and anyone else with chicken pox going around, larrea tridentata herb is very effective in relieving symptoms.

Says who, Dr Imamother?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:09 am
Quote:
Says who, Dr Imamother?
I didn't bother posting a bunch of links as I assume everyone knows how to google.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 7:55 am
And then you'll be in jail. Coool.

NO one I know vaccinates for chicken pox unless they've reached teens without it.

eli7

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:13 am
Can I suggest that those who want to debate vaccines or make comments about chicken pox *in general* go to one of the dozens of other threads we've had about this?

OP, I am with you! May your daughter have a refuah shleima and may you have a lot of strength!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:15 am
eli7 wrote:
Can I suggest that those who want to debate vaccines or make comments about chicken pox *in general* go to one of the dozens of other threads we've had about this?

OP, I am with you! May your daughter have a refuah shleima and may you have a lot of strength!

I'm sorry, but from the start OP made this a debate about vaccinations in her OP and in the title of her thread.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry, but from the start OP made this a debate about vaccinations in her OP and in the title of her thread.

Learn to let it rest. Her baby is terribly ill. It won’t kill you to sit this one out.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:42 am
Ma3 wrote:
I didn't read all the posts, but chicken pox is not a dangerous disease, yet it is highly contagious. Any person that their immune system is compromised shouldn't be near a sick person even with strep. Do you want to give shots for strep too? Students in my class that had chicken pox were actually vaccinated and got it from other kids that were vaccinated as well. Some parents aren't very careful about exposing their kids who have been vaccinated when they get a mild case of chicken pox, because they believe that they're not contagious, BUT THEY ARE! Refuah Shelaima to your child!

You are misinformed. Though most cases of chicken pox are not dangerous, that is not 100% across the board.

My sister told me that when she was doing her pediatric residency at a NY hospital, a child came in with a severe case of the chicken pox, and didn't make it.

I have alot to say on the topic of chicken pox, and have said it before. I am still traumatized from my own experience with the chicken pox. At 15, my parents traveled to Europe for a family Simcha, on a Thursday. It was two weeks before Pesach, and my married sister was supposed to come for Shabbos to stay with us kids....on Friday morning, my little sister, then 2, woke up covered in spots. My older sister didn't want her kids to be exposed just then, and have the chicken pox over Pesach...so that blew the plans. Some of my siblings, who had already had the pox, went to her for Shabbos. I stayed home with little sister, and a friend came to stay with me.

It was a Shabbos straight out of ****. I spent all of Friday night holding her in my arms as she cried and writhed and itched and burned a fever of I-don't-know-how-high. I gave her tylenol but it barely made a dent. I still think, to this day, that it's Chasdei Hashem that she made it. I just kept bathing her forehead with cool water all night and praying. I've never seen a child so sick in my whole life as I saw her then.

My kids got the chicken pox vaccine, except my youngest - at age 11 months, exactly 14 days after my foster son broke his arm and took her with me to the emergency room, she got the chicken pox - B"H a mild case of 11 spots.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 10:47 am
The chicken pox vaccine is not like the MMR or DPT, which both immunize against dangerous diseases. It is also more controversial in the sense that not all doctors will give it. The reasoning I have heard is that the vaccine will only last for ten years and then the person can get the chicken pox as an adult, which is much more dangerous. Getting the real thing immunizes for life.

I just wanted to add that nothing is 100%. I got the chicken pox twice, as did some other people I have met over the years. Obviously, the first time I got it was too mild to give me a full immunization. I think that is the what concerns some doctors about the immunizations - that it may not be strong enough to withstand exposure later on, especially many years later as the immunizations wear off.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 10:52 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
The chicken pox vaccine is not like the MMR or DPT, which both immunize against dangerous diseases. It is also more controversial in the sense that not all doctors will give it. The reasoning I have heard is that the vaccine will only last for ten years and then the person can get the chicken pox as an adult, which is much more dangerous. Getting the real thing immunizes for life.

I just wanted to add that nothing is 100%. I got the chicken pox twice, as did some other people I have met over the years. Obviously, the first time I got it was too mild to give me a full immunization. I think that is the what concerns some doctors about the immunizations - that it may not be strong enough to withstand exposure later on, especially many years later as the immunizations wear off.

There are booster shots to take later on.

Queen6

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 11:05 am
RELAX. Chicken pox is VERY easy to catch as they do not give it to children under a year.... my daughter got it and I am pro vaccine. It’s ok. It’s not deathly or even dangerous.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 11:16 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

I got ch. pox twice myself, as did one of my kids; we were both under a year the first time.
I mentioned on another page how a generation ago doctors were ok with delaying the vaccine. The problem is that since a generation has passed, and most kids get the shot, instead of many if not most opting to wait and see, I don't think that if I were doing it how I'd feel comfortable doing what I did then.

As an aside, we went through the pox a few kids at a time over the years. One of the shifts got full blown chicken pox likely from kids who had a mild case after getting the shot, fwiw.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 11:17 am
Queen6 wrote:
RELAX. Chicken pox is VERY easy to catch as they do not give it to children under a year.... my daughter got it and I am pro vaccine. It’s ok. It’s not deathly or even dangerous.

How insensitive.

Her baby has other medical issues (including a trach, IIRC), and this is going to necessitate the delay of surgery. This is very different from most kids getting chicken pox. (And before the vaccine, about 9300 people were hospitalized each year from chicken pox. Its not always as benign as people like to pretend.)

OP, how is the baby feeling today? And how are you holding up?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 3:54 pm
Chayalle wrote:
You are misinformed. Though most cases of chicken pox are not dangerous, that is not 100% across the board.

My sister told me that when she was doing her pediatric residency at a NY hospital, a child came in with a severe case of the chicken pox, and didn't make it.

I have alot to say on the topic of chicken pox, and have said it before. I am still traumatized from my own experience with the chicken pox. At 15, my parents traveled to Europe for a family Simcha, on a Thursday. It was two weeks before Pesach, and my married sister was supposed to come for Shabbos to stay with us kids....on Friday morning, my little sister, then 2, woke up covered in spots. My older sister didn't want her kids to be exposed just then, and have the chicken pox over Pesach...so that blew the plans. Some of my siblings, who had already had the pox, went to her for Shabbos. I stayed home with little sister, and a friend came to stay with me.

It was a Shabbos straight out of ****. I spent all of Friday night holding her in my arms as she cried and writhed and itched and burned a fever of I-don't-know-how-high. I gave her tylenol but it barely made a dent. I still think, to this day, that it's Chasdei Hashem that she made it. I just kept bathing her forehead with cool water all night and praying. I've never seen a child so sick in my whole life as I saw her then.

My kids got the chicken pox vaccine, except my youngest - at age 11 months, exactly 14 days after my foster son broke his arm and took her with me to the emergency room, she got the chicken pox - B"H a mild case of 11 spots.

I can imagine as a 15 year old caring for a sick 2 year old, it really can leave terrible memories. That said, chicken pox is really not a dangerous disease. I've lived and worked in a country that does not vaccinate against chicken pox for over 30 years!!! I work with kids and we have a cp outbreak twice a year. As part of my job we are always informed via PHE of any severe cases that occurred randomly. (That is with all diseases by the way.) The only time cp has proved deadly or even severe enough that hospitalization is required is the following cases:

Children being given wrong pain medications during CP which caused the spots to infect the blood.

Children who have had CP alongside other serious health issues.

And as with any other sickness, children who became dehydrated from lack of fluids.

It's very telling that the USA are one of the very few western countries who still deem the CP vaccine necessary, yet statistically (you can find the stats on all government websites, they are updated each year,) severe reactions or deaths from CP are not less likely to occur inside the US.

I'm truly sorry this has turned into a mini vaccine debate for the OP, but to all those posters agreeing with the OPs original post, you have happily agreed with her stance on vaccines (She did after all come at anti vaxxers) yet do not allow any posts which are in opposition to your view without saying it's insensitive. Frankly, I think either agreeing with her or not wasn't appropriate. We should have all wished her child better and be done with the topic of vaccines on this thread.

Shuly

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 4:55 pm
Just to chime in with Chayala - chicken pox has the potential to be a dangerous disease. My good friend was in a coma for 3 months because her chicken pox caused encephalitis. There were two other cases that year and those little girls died because of the chicken pox.
When it's mild, it's mild, but when it's not a mild case, chicken pox is deadly. And you never know what type your kid will get.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 8:50 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
How insensitive.

Her baby has other medical issues (including a trach, IIRC), and this is going to necessitate the delay of surgery. This is very different from most kids getting chicken pox. (And before the vaccine, about 9300 people were hospitalized each year from chicken pox. Its not always as benign as people like to pretend.)

OP, how is the baby feeling today? And how are you holding up?

better b'H
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics