Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wwyd your boss owes you $7k?
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 9:15 pm
Chodesh tov and shavua tov. Wwyd if you were single and your boss owes you $7000? Will bringing him to bet din or court make it hard for you to find a shiduch and a future job?

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 9:27 pm
I would give him one week to pay up and then quit. I wouldnt bring me a frum jew to court over 7000. Bais din maybe....

Jewishfoodie

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 9:30 pm
That's really not the real question.

The real question is a bit more complicated. Is your boss going through a hard time now but intends to pay you?

Or does he not want to pay you? If he doesn't want to pay you the money you are owed, would he respect a Beis Din decision anyway?

You should not forget the money he owes you but first know who you are dealing with, and what his reasons are for not paying. If the business is going through a crisis, he must sit down with you and come to some type of remuneration plan. But you will see your money.

If he's a crook, you're not his first victim. Joining forces and going to regular court gives you your biggest chance of him/het being obligated to pay you.

Shidduchim are from Hashem. Literally every shidduch was orchestrated by Him. Yours will be too.

Nothing you do or don't do will take away your intended, bashert, future chosson.

I don't wanna get all preachy but way before you were born, He knew your future. You must do what's right to obtain the money you are owed.

Caveat. If this is seriously a good person falling on hard times, you get s'char for giving him more time to pay. Cutting him slack in essence means you are "willingly lending him your money" and is a huge chesed.

So examine the externals and make a decision based on that.

And don't badmouth him. There is nothing to be gained. Like a divorce, it is to no one's advantage to badmouth the other party. Just do the right thing in this situation and Hashem will help you get the money He thinks you should have.

Good Luck, sorry for what you're going through. If he's a decent person, he will understand when you sit him down...

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
Chodesh tov and shavua tov. Wwyd if you were single and your boss owes you $7000? Will bringing him to bet din or court make it hard for you to find a shiduch and a future job?

I would tell him I had earned the $$--very different than you need it. Whether you need it or not is not the issue, you earned it! I would tell him He had a week to pay me, or we could go on a payment plan (which is insanely generous, if you ask me). And if he didn't, I would take him to small claims court.

This will not hurt your shidduch. This will only hurt future jobs is he says lashon hora, you can always play around with a resume and make it look like you're not unemployed

Seven thousand dollars is a giant amount of money. Doesn't matter if he doesn't have it, then he shouldhave let you go before you did the work. This is your salary, and you earned it.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:05 pm
I had similar situation. My boss felt that the accounts department gets paid last so although cash flow wasn't too great, he paid all except for me. I left and took him to Beis Din. When he didn't want to pay I told him I was filling out forms to the state labor dept for not getting paid. In less than an hour I got a call from beis din to pick up my checks (he post dated them over a year).

Blessing1

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:08 pm
An old boss owned me $8000. I long don't work there it took him years to pay up. We took him to meet our Rav with us & worked out a deal together.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:12 pm
Does your boss 100% agree that he owes you $7000?

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:15 pm
My boss is in a tight situation. But he pays everyone more or less on time but because I am single I get paid last. What should I do?

Jewishfoodie

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
My boss is in a tight situation. But he pays everyone more or less on time but because I am single I get paid last. What should I do?

You don't deserve to get paid or not get paid bases on your marital status. Analyze the situation and, it sounds like he's honest, so sit down and give him a chance to do the right thing. You're not responsible for the hard time he's going through but you could have rachmanus and give him a bit more time, if you're financially able to.

Good luck

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:

look for another job.

tobee

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 10:30 pm
Imo,Firstly, him paying u last isn't right, ur just as much entitled to get paid for the work u did as any other worker regardless of marital status.period.hes struggling? Let him borrow or take a cut in his own salary or worst case, let u go if he can't afford u. Secondly, why would u let the amount owed get this high? Make him pay up or ship out. Unless the money isn't important to u(maybe u never told him anything so he thinks the money isn't so necessary) but for me, I told my husband if my boss would not pay me for(only) 2 weeks I would leave him unless he puts a payment plan in place.my sister did what u did, let it pile up and it was a nightmare for her to get paid in full. It took forever because it was a big amount. Ur not a shmatte and have to stick up for urself. Hatzlacha. Hope it goes well.

Pita

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:30 pm
If you are employee, file a wage claim with the agency in your state responsible for such things. In Texas, it is the same agency as where you file for unemployment. The Texas Workforce Commission. You might want to Google "wage claim" and your state to find where to file. If you are you in the United States.

HappyGoLucky1

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:37 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
That's really not the real question.

The real question is a bit more complicated. Is your boss going through a hard time now but intends to pay you?

Or does he not want to pay you? If he doesn't want to pay you the money you are owed, would he respect a Beis Din decision anyway?

You should not forget the money he owes you but first know who you are dealing with, and what his reasons are for not paying. If the business is going through a crisis, he must sit down with you and come to some type of remuneration plan. But you will see your money.

If he's a crook, you're not his first victim. Joining forces and going to regular court gives you your biggest chance of him/het being obligated to pay you.

Shidduchim are from Hashem. Literally every shidduch was orchestrated by Him. Yours will be too.

Nothing you do or don't do will take away your intended, bashert, future chosson.

I don't wanna get all preachy but way before you were born, He knew your future. You must do what's right to obtain the money you are owed.

Caveat. If this is seriously a good person falling on hard times, you get s'char for giving him more time to pay. Cutting him slack in essence means you are "willingly lending him your money" and is a huge chesed.

So examine the externals and make a decision based on that.

And don't badmouth him. There is nothing to be gained. Like a divorce, it is to no one's advantage to badmouth the other party. Just do the right thing in this situation and Hashem will help you get the money He thinks you should have.

Good Luck, sorry for what you're going through. If he's a decent person, he will understand when you sit him down...

Gorgeous.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:38 pm
He knows he owes it to me. He is a crook.
Looking for another job isn't that easy. I keep looking

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:

Can you temp somewhere?

watergirl

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:

I say this all the time on here. This is an issue when you work in a heimish work place. You are worth more than your marital status! Find a job in a non frum or non jewish work place. You will be paid your worth based on experience and job performance, not illegally discriminated against because you are single. Hugs.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:50 pm
[quote="Jewishfoodie"]That's really not the real question.

[u]

Yes shidduchim are from hashem, but hashem also runs the world b'teva. I don't know the op or the specifics of her situation, but let's say she's a teacher in a chasidish school in boro park. This is a complete hypothetical situation. I think that if she would take her yeshiva to a bais din and word got out that she did this, I think it's reasonable that it might indeed impact her shidduchim inspite of the merits of her claim.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 17 2018, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:

Okay - so you are looking for another job. Good.

In the mean time what is your boss telling you about when you are going to get paid? How many days of pay are missing?

I'm not sure why you are calling him a crook.

Miri7

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 12:01 am
If I heard that a single woman had stood up to her boss and advocated for herself I’d think that she was very well equipped to look after her future family.

But I’m MO and not in shidduch dating circles.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 1:23 am
I would demand my money. He manages to pay literally everyone but you? Then he can make it work for you to.
Off topic, but isn't this site for married women only?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics