Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Machon LA, new school in Los Angeles?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:14 pm
Hi, I'm from LA, and a neighbor of mine gave me a yated that's from February. It had an announcement that there's a new girls' BY type HS opening in LA! Machon. The head is a rabbi yisroel Gordon (it says he works for Merkaz kollel and teaches at BY), I don't know who he is, he is after my times in LA, but the "mechanechet"/dean of students is Mrs. Revah!!! I loved Mrs. Revah!!!
On their website you can see their brochure- I see they're trying to be academic... And very holistic...
Just curious, any current LAers who can fill me in? Where does this school stand hashkafically? Why is there a need for a new school? There is BYLA, Valley Torah, Bnos Devorah, Bnos Esther.... So many options! Unless BD shut down?
Or is it just a new and improved BYLA?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:26 pm
Following..another Mrs. Revah fan and BYLA alumni.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 8:36 pm
I know nothing about this school but I will say that I know plenty of bais Yakov families who feel the school has become too extreme for them with some of their rules etc

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:29 am
LAer here with no girls in high school yet so cant tell you the latest on where the school stands. I would love to know!!
But we do need another high school. Our community is massive and growing! BY cant fit another class per grade! Each school has its own type or point. To simplify- YULA girls will go to college. Its just Stern vs Barnard or UCLA (or other coed). Bnos Esther will never allow it- they are chassidish and do not promote secular education.
There are many other schools but that is the biggest contrast. BY is too large and where BD was supposed to be going back about 10 years they aren't. There is a need for a more middle of the road/ BY light type school. I hope it is what the new school ends up as.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
LAer here with no girls in high school yet so cant tell you the latest on where the school stands. I would love to know!!
But we do need another high school. Our community is massive and growing! BY cant fit another class per grade! Each school has its own type or point. To simplify- YULA girls will go to college. Its just Stern vs Barnard or UCLA (or other coed). Bnos Esther will never allow it- they are chassidish and do not promote secular education.
There are many other schools but that is the biggest contrast. BY is too large and where BD was supposed to be going back about 10 years they aren't. There is a need for a more middle of the road/ BY light type school. I hope it is what the new school ends up as.

Which elementary schools are going onto BY othet then Toas Emes and Ohr Eliyohu?
What is BD? What type of school?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
Which elementary schools are going onto BY othet then Toas Emes and Ohr Eliyohu?

This is all according to what I heard. I would love for someone to corrext me and add more information...
BD started off to be like a "girls MBY" and they did start around the same time. But BD just didn't take off as a mainstream option the same way. MBY has an annex building already! BD is in the old BYLA building but the classes are nowhere near the size where BYLA was even when in that building (20 years ago?).
BYLA keeps growing but has no space. The high school probably doesnt have any spare rooms... YOE and TE go there. Plus some Bais Tzivia and Chabad and some from Yavneh.

Not sure what BD "type" is... Trying to not be judgemental here. I think that is its issue. Its not chassidish. Not BY in the same way BYLA is. Not MO in any way like YULA. Girls who go like it from what I hear.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:26 am
amother wrote:

Bais Tzivia (The Cheder)

I think bnos devorah- BD- was supposed to be more open and less yeshivish... Does that mean it became more like BY?

I spoke to someone in LA who thought this new machon is supposed to be more on a college track, but she really didn't know.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:45 am
It must be a big deal for BYLA to lose these 2 teachers. Mrs. Revah was very integral when I was in school.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
It must be a big deal for BYLA to lose these 2 teachers. Mrs. Revah was very integral when I was in school.

She hasn't been teaching there for like 7 or 8 years already.... Who is the second teacher?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
She hasn't been teaching there for like 7 or 8 years already.... Who is the second teacher?

Oh. I have been out for longer then that. 2nd teacher is Rabbi Gordon, he was not there in my days,

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:13 pm
I wonder who we all are... another byla graduate, also major Mrs. Revah fan.
This is the first I hear about a,new school

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 1:55 am
R' Gordon wasn't around in my days either. I have been out a while, just kept in touch with LAers and know many who have had girls at BYLA recently.

Is it going to be at Adas? Makes sense as that is her husband's shul and they probably have the space now. Is there any information on who will teach? What type it is for?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 9:01 pm
Can anyone give me current information on the school? Hashkafa? Academics? Technology rules? Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics