Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Dust mite

smile

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 8:21 am
My daughter was just diagnosed with dust mite allergy.
Any info and suggestions how to deal with it, please.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 8:50 am
How bad is the allergy? There are different levels.

Have you been to an allergist? They normally will give you a whole talk about ways to deal with. Getting a HEPA air purifier for her room is a good step. She will also need allergy proof pillow covers and a mattress cover. Carpet is best avoided, and if she has it in her room it should be vacuumed frequently.

Many people take daily allergy pills to minimize symptoms. How bad are her symptoms? Depending on the severity, some people go for regular allergy desensitization shots.

The first step for you is probably to find a good allergist and make an appointment.

smile

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:07 am
She has eczema so I saw an allergist to see if some food causes it to flair up.
He did a blood test and food wise no allergy althought citrus and stuff she feels herself that it makes it worse.
But he saw in the results that she is allergic to dust mite and pollen. Her numbers were over 100 (no idea what it means) for dust mites.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:14 am
smile wrote:
She has eczema so I saw an allergist to see if some food causes it to flair up.
He did a blood test and food wise no allergy althought citrus and stuff she feels herself that it makes it worse.
But he saw in the results that she is allergic to dust mite and pollen. Her numbers were over 100 (no idea what it means) for dust mites.

Did he tell you if that's high? Did he recommend anything for you to do? He should have had a follow up conversation with you about it. If not, call him to discuss it.

I know the doctors often say to do a skin test in addition to the blood test so you get a more accurate picture of how severe the allergy is.

smile

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:29 am
I spoke on the phone. He said it's high. But I am seeing a dermatologist anyway bc of her eczema. He was the one who send us to an allergist. So I am waiting to see the dermatologist by my next appointment.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:31 am
I could be wrong, but I don't think dust mite allergies cause eczema. More like respiratory/cold/asthma symptoms.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:38 am
Curtains are also dust collectors. And carpets are so bad... if you have I would consider changing it. Also make sure at least once a week to dust out her whole room. Walls, roof of cupboards, shelves... even pictures that hang can have dust on it. So basically cleaning a lot. And maybe she needs to take some antihistamines.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think dust mite allergies cause eczema. More like respiratory/cold/asthma symptoms.

You definitely are wrong. I'm sorry.
It can cause anything. I get eczema. My sister asthma and another sister gets cold like symptoms, runny nose,ear infections and sinusitis. Everyone reacts different to it.

smile

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 9:59 am
I won't know if the dust mite actually are the cause of her eczema or the flair up.
All the cream never helped for her eczema so I went to allergist to see if he can help us somehow.
Now the results came back dust mite and pollen. I will have to try to sort this out and then will see if there is a change in her eczema.

I am still trying to Google info on best way how to sort this out

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 3:14 pm
Anything made of cloth in her room will need to be either washed in hot water or hot dryer once a week or vacuumed with a vacuum with a hepa filter. This includes sheets, blankets, curtains, carpet, stuffed animals, possibly other furniture, etc. All clothes need to be kept in a closed closet at all times. A clothes hamper should either have a cover or be kept our of her room.

Her mattress and pillow should have covers designed for allergies, designed for dust mites, which completely cover the mattress / pillow and zipper closed.

An air purifier with a hepa filter is very helpful.

I also highly recommend allergy shots- they almost fully got rid of my dust mite allergy and I was able to stop taking allergy meds.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 5:33 pm
Allergy shots really helped my kid for the dust mite allergy especially since a year round allergen. But it doesn't work for all kids. I think there is only an 80% success rate and it can mean a commitment of up to five years with the shots. It's definitely only worthwhile if you are committed to it. And the allergist should tell if you are a good candidate for the shot. I would get a skin test before deciding anything though.

going-up

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 6:56 pm
My 2 year old daughter has exactly the same problem and allergies. Eczema since she was a week old. Feels like it's just getting worse and worse. She is allergic to dust and pollen and tested also positive for hazelnuts but passed food challenge test which means that one might have been a false positive.

Her linen is 100% cotton, I wash often in hot water and with a detergent without dyes or fragrances. I have a mattress and pillow encasement to prevent dust mites collecting. I try to clean her room often but it's not easy. The main thing is her bed and nearby areas. Im not sure it's helped my daughter so far but I've not been perfect. Still have a curtain in her room which I do wash in hot water but maybe not often enough and maybe her changing mat also contains dust mites which I'm only able to wash the cover and don't have an encasement. Plus she has a small open closet with baskets so that could also be a problem.

Hatzloche! May she have a refuah shelemeh!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 8:48 pm
This sounds like the classic case of Red Skin Syndrome, as discovered by UCLA medical professor and board certified dermatologist Dr. Marvin Rapaport.

In his words:

The classic case of RSS starts as a real eczema rash. The patient goes to the doctor, is prescribed steroid creams, uses them, and returns to the doctor with spreading/worsening rashes. Doctor says it must be allergy related and sends them for allergy testing... False positives show up (due to the steroids causing the IgE to rise). Patient rips out carpeting, installs air purifiers, buys special sheets, shoots the dog...

And it all started and is perpetuated by the steroids, which 99% of doctors guide patients to use in a wrongful manner.

Steroids are extremely powerful hormones that disable blood vessels in a mechanism called "vasoconstriction."
If the steroids are too strong of a potency or used for too long, or used on the wrong area of the body (face, armpits, groin), or are used on a very young child, blood vessel damage is extremely common.

This damage presents with worsening/spreading rashes (due to blood vessel hyper-dilation in response to being forcefully disabled) whenever the cream is stopped (or, eventually, when it stops working) and is mistakenly diagnosed as "bad" eczema. And then, over time, the IgE rises, the allergic response increases, etc.

Most of the people with "eczema" actually have steroid damage that most doctors are misdiagnosing. Real eczema is typically mild, confined mostly to the bends of knees/elbows, a little "slobber" dermatitis, and sometimes a bit on the hands or eyelids. It is not typically widespread, burning, and horrendous.

For more information, including medical studies, articles, and doctor information, please contact the Skin Healing Gemach:

TSWfighter@gmail.com

going-up

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:14 am
amother wrote:
This sounds like the classic case of Red Skin Syndrome, as discovered by UCLA medical professor and board certified dermatologist Dr. Marvin Rapaport.

In his words:

The classic case of RSS starts as a real eczema rash. The patient goes to the doctor, is prescribed steroid creams, uses them, and returns to the doctor with spreading/worsening rashes. Doctor says it must be allergy related and sends them for allergy testing... False positives show up (due to the steroids causing the IgE to rise). Patient rips out carpeting, installs air purifiers, buys special sheets, shoots the dog...

And it all started and is perpetuated by the steroids, which 99% of doctors guide patients to use in a wrongful manner.

Steroids are extremely powerful hormones that disable blood vessels in a mechanism called "vasoconstriction."
If the steroids are too strong of a potency or used for too long, or used on the wrong area of the body (face, armpits, groin), or are used on a very young child, blood vessel damage is extremely common.

This damage presents with worsening/spreading rashes (due to blood vessel hyper-dilation in response to being forcefully disabled) whenever the cream is stopped (or, eventually, when it stops working) and is mistakenly diagnosed as "bad" eczema. And then, over time, the IgE rises, the allergic response increases, etc.

Most of the people with "eczema" actually have steroid damage that most doctors are misdiagnosing. Real eczema is typically mild, confined mostly to the bends of knees/elbows, a little "slobber" dermatitis, and sometimes a bit on the hands or eyelids. It is not typically widespread, burning, and horrendous.

For more information, including medical studies, articles, and doctor information, please contact the Skin Healing Gemach:

TSWfighter@gmail.com

Just fyi in my daughters case I hadn't use steroids when she tested positive for allergies. Steroids are not always the culprit sometimes the eczema is just bad on its own. I didn't use any steroids or dodgy natural remedies which could have steroids. Just basic eucerin, accuafor, aveeno & vaniply.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 6:41 am
Goingup, dear, I never said there are no real allergies or real eczema.

I said THIS case sounds as if it may be a case of RSS.

going-up

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
Goingup, dear, I never said there are no real allergies or real eczema.

I said THIS case sounds as if it may be a case of RSS.

I see no mentions of steroid creams. Creams do not always mean steroids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics