Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o non driver thread - internet g$y
Previous  1  2

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 6:33 am
giselle wrote:
A mitzva by doing what they consider an avera? Scratching Head

My neighbors who don't have internet do not consider it an aveira and they don't look down on me for having internet. They just strongly believe in limiting outside influences in the home and since they don't need it for work so they can manage without. It's also $50 a month where I live and that's a lot of money if you use it so infrequently. I have no problem when they ask 2-3 times a year to come check an email or place an order.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 6:44 am
For me it's a matter of my time/privacy, etc...I have a relative who is, how to describe, maybe a little intellectually challenged...and I help her out with internet stuff as a Chessed, because she's not able to do it herself and neither is her husband.

Other than that - I am B"H a busy person. I work full time, and devote myself to my family after that. I don't have time to take on pro bono internet shopping for others. My family would also not appreciate others sitting in our home using our internet during family time, and they come first.

leah233

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 6:59 am
giselle wrote:
A mitzva by doing what they consider an avera? Scratching Head

Most people don't consider shopping on Amazon to be an avaira. No matter what their general attitude towards internet use is.

But on a different note. What if it was the opposite? What if every rov who doesn't carry in a Eruv made over public streets would refuse to get involved in local Eruvin? What if everyone Makpid on Cholov Yisroel or Yoshon refused to give a hechser on foods that don't meet their standards? etc.

Last edited by leah233 on Fri, Mar 23 2018, 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 7:12 am
leah233 wrote:
Most people don't consider shopping on Amazon to be an avaira. No matter what their general attitude towards internet use is.

But on a different note. What if it was the opposite? What if every rov who doesn't carry in a Eruv made over public streets would refuse to get involved in local Eruvin? What if everyone Makpid on Cholov Yisorel or Yoshon refused to give a hechser on foods that don't meet their standards? etc.

Mommyhood and leah233, we must have a very different circle of acquaintances Mad . There are definitely some in my circles who DO look down on me for having internet, and consider themselves "holier" because they don't. If they would ask me to buy them something on Amazon... Nope. But if you don't have internet because you're a preschool Morah and your dh's in Kollel and you just don't happen to need internet so you don't have it - that's different.

The only problem that I do have is that people don't always get how time consuming it can be. Can you just get me this on Amazon? Oh, it's the wrong size, can you return it? And it has to be returned by tomorrow? And can you check all these sizes, and all the prices - oh, that's too expensive, I don't like that price, can you look for something cheaper? Oh, the price is okay, but oh, never mind, I really had in mind something in yellow Rolling Eyes . So can you do this all over again with something else?

I have the same problem with internet that I have with driving - not to bring up a sore topic, but I did used to drive for my Chassidish friends when we lived in the same area. They never looked down on me because I drove - they knew my mesorah was different - if they would, I wouldn't have done it. But sometimes people who don't drive don't always realize how hard it is to "just" drive me here or there, or wherever. Like - no, I'm not driving to Crown Heights at 11:30 at night, and I'm NOT looking for parking all by myself Exploding anger . That kind of thing.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 7:16 am
mommyhood wrote:
My neighbors who don't have internet do not consider it an aveira and they don't look down on me for having internet. They just strongly believe in limiting outside influences in the home and since they don't need it for work so they can manage without. It's also $50 a month where I live and that's a lot of money if you use it so infrequently. I have no problem when they ask 2-3 times a year to come check an email or place an order.

The people who ask to use my internet sound like your neighbors. They don't think it's an aveirah, many of them use it at work, but they limit outside influences, and they're afraid of their kids accessing inappropriate sites, so they don't have it at home. Because they don't have the attitude that it's an evairah and I'm not frum enough if I have internet, I don't mind if they come to use my internet or ask me to order for them.

octopus

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 7:17 am
Yes, it's okay to say no to the neighbor for next time. It was chutzpah for your sister to ask you. You can have the chutzpah to say no. Returns are annoying. You are allowed to put your foot down. This has no bearing on religiosity. This is about setting appropriate boundaries. And it is obvious that it is really bothering you.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 9:22 am
Sorry to be stupid. Internet g$y? GAY? I can’t understand what this means...

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 10:07 am
There is a storefront on 16 avenue in Boro Park where you could go to use the internet. When ever I pass all the computers are being used.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 10:08 am
I will help someone who doesn't have or cannot use it, but not someone who beshitta chooses to go without unless it's a health thing like looking up a doc, c'v

trixx

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 11:17 am
andrea levy wrote:

I thought that too then realized she meant g o y which turns into gentile on this site

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 11:52 am
andrea levy wrote:

"[gentile]" as in gentile. I guess us politically correct people on Imamother have an issue writing out that word.

debsey

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 12:26 pm
I feel like driving and internet are different for a variety of reasons.

1) If I'm driving somewhere anyway, I don't mind taking along a passenger, or even dropping someone somewhere along my route. I wouldn't go crazy out of my way, but once I'm in a car, a few more blocks is no biggie. I see it as a "different mesorah" issue. I wouldn't be offended if a sephardic person wouldn't eat a lox and cream cheese sandwich, so why should I care if a chassidish lady won't drive? Don't see it as being a "Shabbos [gentile]" at all.

2) I do try to keep my internet access to my offices only, and I don't like having people who are not working at my office during business hours. I also can't leave people in my offices unsupervised after business hours, so that's a big drain on my time/resources. I also don't like giving out the WiFi access code and password, because that can weaken my security. Why would I weaken something I pay a premium for?

3) I also feel like if you need the internet, you can go to the library or rent a kiosk. You don't need me. But it's not always easy to find a car service. However, I wouldn't leave my house to drive someone if I didn't have an errand anyway, unless it's a family member or really close friend. My time is precious, and that's just not the chessed I'm choosing.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:33 am
leah233 wrote:
But on a different note. What if it was the opposite? What if every rov who doesn't carry in a Eruv made over public streets would refuse to get involved in local Eruvin? What if everyone Makpid on Cholov Yisroel or Yoshon refused to give a hechser on foods that don't meet their standards? etc.

I'd be fine with that. I might even prefer things that way. I know of a hechsher which requires mashgichim who supervise restaurants to eat (and pay for) the food they certify.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics