Home

Pesach cholent
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:23 pm
Thanks so much ra_mom!
Back to top

abmom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:45 pm
Can I make this yapsuk cholent in a regular pot on the blech? I don't have a croc pot.
Back to top

abmom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:46 pm
Also, what's the best meat to use?
Back to top

honey




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:01 pm
happymommy6 wrote:
It's our favorite cholent of the whole year! I saute onions potatoes and meat like usual and add a raw potato kugel mixture. Gives it a cholent consistency and is delicious!


do u put the potato kugel mixture directly into the cholent, or do you wrap it in parchment paper?thanks
Back to top

momtra




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:09 pm
My mother always puts in kneidelach.
It’s really yummy.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:31 pm
abmom wrote:
Can I make this yapsuk cholent in a regular pot on the blech? I don't have a croc pot.

Yes that was the traditional way we made it.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:33 pm
honey wrote:
do u put the potato kugel mixture directly into the cholent, or do you wrap it in parchment paper?thanks

We always make yapsuk one week and potato kugel cholent the next week. They are both delicious.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81257
Back to top

ellebelle




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:41 am
Put home made kishke directly into the cholent! And another kishke in parchment paper outside. Yum!
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:03 am
abmom wrote:
Also, what's the best meat to use?

My experience was that the best flavor is only from a very fatty type. Exp, finger meat. I made yapchick already this yr for pesach and this is what I used. I tried various different kinds.
Back to top

ibelongtosomebody




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
I love grated potato cholent, yapsuk. It's deliciously creamy.

Layered bones, then meat, grated onion, then grated potato and finished off with salt. No water. Delicious!


RA mom can you please give exact recipe / directions? Thanks
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:12 am
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
RA mom can you please give exact recipe / directions? Thanks

Grease crockpot and then line with parchment paper so it stays in place.

First layer: meat and bones
Second layer: grated onion
Third layer: shredded potatoes
Fourth layer: lots of salt

Don't add any water, oil or eggs. Don't mix the layers.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 20-24 hours.
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
Grease crockpot and then line with parchment paper so it stays in place.

First layer: meat and bones
Second layer: grated onion
Third layer: shredded potatoes
Fourth layer: lots of salt

Don't add any water, oil or eggs. Don't mix the layers.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 20-24 hours.


How do you serve this? Family style or individual portions? Does it come out of the pot neatly?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:03 am
Reality wrote:
How do you serve this? Family style or individual portions? Does it come out of the pot neatly?

We serve it in nice big bowls. Like cholent. It's not something you can cut.
Back to top

saramalka




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:08 am
I usually use crockpot liners for chulent.
Can I use one?
Or should I use the liner and then cover with baking paper?
Back to top

ibelongtosomebody




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:37 am
Hi RA mom,

Thanks so much.
Do you know approximate ratios - how much meat? How many potatoes?
Shredded in food processor?

Thanks so much.
Back to top

Frumme




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Grease crockpot and then line with parchment paper so it stays in place.

First layer: meat and bones
Second layer: grated onion
Third layer: shredded potatoes
Fourth layer: lots of salt

Don't add any water, oil or eggs. Don't mix the layers.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 20-24 hours.


Sounds delicious! I wonder how it'd taste if I switch first and third layers (so the flavors from the meat and bones permeate the potatoes more)
Back to top

Reality




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:46 am
ra_mom wrote:
We serve it in nice big bowls. Like cholent. It's not something you can cut.


Thanks so much!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:09 am
Frumme wrote:
Sounds delicious! I wonder how it'd taste if I switch first and third layers (so the flavors from the meat and bones permeate the potatoes more)

The potatoes are soggy if placed underneath. The whole point is for them to stay on top and turn creamy.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:11 am
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
Hi RA mom,

Thanks so much.
Do you know approximate ratios - how much meat? How many potatoes?
Shredded in food processor?

Thanks so much.

How many people? What size crockpot?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:15 am
saramalka wrote:
I usually use crockpot liners for chulent.
Can I use one?
Or should I use the liner and then cover with baking paper?

Should be fine.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Can I add water to my cholent?
by amother
35 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 10:46 pm View last post
Can I make cholent with frozen meat?
by Fab4
6 Fri, Sep 17 2021, 3:37 pm View last post
Do you make cholent for the kids
by amother
43 Fri, Sep 17 2021, 12:10 am View last post
Help with my cholent
by amother
9 Sun, Sep 12 2021, 1:56 pm View last post
Cholent recipe!
by amother
7 Mon, Aug 30 2021, 7:45 am View last post