Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you think?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 12:20 am
I interviewed for a part-time-from-home-job for a small business. The interview went well, the business owner introduced me to some software he wanted me to use, and pushed me to give him an answer on the spot to commit. I told him I would like some time to check out the software and I will get back to him.

After checking out the software and thinking about the job, I communicated with him using email that I wanted to accept the job, was it still available.

He responded that it was. A couple of days later, he sent me an email with some work to look over. All this before I finalized details about the number of hours and salary related issues. I replied that I would take a look at it the next day which happened to be an extremely busy day, I only got round to looking at it in the evening. I emailed him that I would see to it during the next couple of days. I received back an angry email stating that he had someone else do it, and can he trust me to get other projects done?

My thoughts:

1. We hadn't finalized the general work details yet
2. The email with the work request was very vague - without a deadline.
3. Is this person someone I will be able to work with?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 2:48 am
It was strange that you accepted before they made you a detailed offer. But why don't you communicate to him about the (big) open issues still on the table?

Quote:
Hi Mr. Boss,

I am glad that you offered me a position at XYZ, Inc. I am looking forward to starting my new job, and am eager we close all the contractual details (salary, working hours, benefits, starting date, etc.) that are still open.

Will someone from HR be contacting me soon? Please advise on how to proceed.

Sincerely,
amother

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:09 am
DrMom wrote:
It was strange that you accepted before they made you a detailed offer. But why don't you communicate to him about the (big) open issues still on the table?

Quote:
Hi Mr. Boss,

I am glad that you offered me a position at XYZ, Inc. I am looking forward to starting my new job, and am eager we close all the contractual details (salary, working hours, benefits, starting date, etc.) that are still open.

Will someone from HR be contacting me soon? Please advise on how to proceed.

Sincerely,
amother

It's strange that she accepted before she got a detailed offer, but it's also strange that he expected her to work before they finalized all the details. And the angry email would be a bad sign to me. Most employees try to pretend they're nice for as long as possible.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:15 am
I wouldn't want to work for someone like that

Boca00

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:39 am
causemommysaid wrote:
I wouldn't want to work for someone like that

They say that people don't quit jobs, they leave bosses.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:58 am
1 and 2 is basically the same. You're dealing with someone informal. Don't expect a professional work environment. You will need to be the one to get specific guidelines by asking for them specifically or stating outright what you can do/ want.

The informality wouldn't bother me. I've worked with such people and there's advantages and disadvantages.

The anger would bother me.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 10:14 am
Everyone’s communications skills need improvement.

OP accepted the job before finalizing details. Then, she accepted a work assignment, and said she would get to it the next day. She didn’t because she was “busy.”

As an employer, I’d probably fire her. This was her first assignment, yet she prioritized personal matters over it. If you’re too “busy” to do the job, then don’t take the job. And I’d be worried about that happening regularly.

But the employer also failed to communicate expectations — that work is to be done expeditiously and, of course, salary.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 10:45 am
What you see now you'll see 10xs more over time. My boss is the sweetest guy. He was scatterbrained before he hired me and is 10xs worse now. At the time he apologized and said that is why he needs to hire me. Fast forward a few months he can't keep his books in place is late for payroll calls me at night... I shoulda seen the signs...they were ALL there!

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 2:32 pm
What do I think? I think there was sloppy communication all around.

However, if I had an alternative and wasn't desperate, I would not want to work for this individual. ("pushed" for a commitment on the spot. "angry" email. Does not sound pleasant.) I am were desperate and didn't have an alternative, I would at least tread more cautiously and take responsibility for ensuring that future communications are crystal clear.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 2:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Everyone’s communications skills need improvement.

OP accepted the job before finalizing details. Then, she accepted a work assignment, and said she would get to it the next day. She didn’t because she was “busy.”

As an employer, I’d probably fire her. This was her first assignment, yet she prioritized personal matters over it. If you’re too “busy” to do the job, then don’t take the job. And I’d be worried about that happening regularly.

You have a point. On the other hand, the email was casual with a: "Do you think you're able to/want to" kind of request.

But the employer also failed to communicate expectations — that work is to be done expeditiously and, of course, salary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics