Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
At what age should a boy shave his mustache?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 10:51 am
My son is only 12 and has a noticeable mustache. He will be a clean shaven teen eventually. We’ve been pushing off allowing him to shave since it will probably grow back even thicker. But I think it’s at a point where he really should shave... he’d look so much better. I just never heard of a boy shaving at 12. What do you think?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 10:56 am
I think boys should start shaving as soon as the mustache is noticeable. It is a myth that hair grows back thicker after shaving it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 11:07 am
I think the right time for any boy to begin to shave the mustache is when he develops an interest to do so, and when he feels ready.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 11:10 am
Um, what does what other boys do have to do with anything? The right age to shave a mustache is the the age at which he has a mustache. If that happens at 10, then he can start shaving at 10. If that happens at 16, then he can start shaving at 16.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 11:16 am
so not relevant what it will look like when it grows back out - because he's going to continue to shave it. in no scenario will he never shave his moustache after the first time. Its his face - what does he want to do?

iyar

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:14 pm
The age a boy should shave his mustache is the exact same age as when he has a mustache he can shave.
(Unless your family's minhag is for a man never to shave in which case presumably you wouldn't be asking.)

momX4

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
I think the right time for any boy to begin to shave the mustache is when he develops an interest to do so, and when he feels ready.

I'm waiting for my ds to ask, unless it starts to come in more. He has a mustache Shadow. Its noticable only close-up.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:47 pm
My dh hit puberty pretty early and he was begging his parents to shave at 12. They didn't let because they thought he would have to shave regularly once he started. He finally convinced them to allow it before his bar mitzvah. I don't really understand why parents would not allow their child to shave as long as the child is asking to and can safely do so. Making kids feel self conscious is so unfair.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:48 pm
What's it your business?! Is he disabled in some way that you need to tell him what to do when?! What does HE want to do. YOUR job is to buy him a shaver and tell him how to use it. HE decides when he would like to. If he doesn't mind a shadow why should you? It's going to be his pain in the neck to deal w... I'm not understanding...

Blessing1

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:58 pm
Amother gray, chill, calm down! Op just asked a simple question, a simple answer will suffice. Why on earth are you being nasty?!?!
Op, if it's showing, he can start shaving. He'll anyways shave regularly, it take afew seconds. So why not start now??

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:58 pm
Thanks
Just asking since I don’t know about these things
He’s my oldest boy
Yes, it’s showing- not only from close...
He asked if he should shave- we said to wait a little.., now I would like him to but don’t want to regret it

Another gray, I think it’s my business- he’s my son and he’s still a little boy asking what to do and since I wasn’t sure, I figured I’d come here and ask

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 5:30 pm
Ur post makes it sound like he has no say in the matter. When I told dd about body changes I mentioned hair growth. I said either ull want to shave or not. I'd say the same to ds.. My apologies for taking ur post the wrong way

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks
Just asking since I don’t know about these things
He’s my oldest boy
Yes, it’s showing- not only from far...
He asked if he should shave- we said to wait a little.., now I would like him to but don’t want to regret it

Another gray, I think it’s my business- he’s my son and he’s still a little boy asking what to do and since I wasn’t sure, I figured I’d come here and ask

its nice that he came to you to ask what he should do. Once he starts it will likely look thicker when it grows back - because the ends will be blunt (because of the shaver cut), not fine like they are now. Still he may 'need' to shave every other day, or once a week - its hard to know for certain.. but if he is uncomfortable with how he looks now - that to me that is the answer. The regret (IMHO) would be making him feel uncomfortable in his skin, when there is something that can be done.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 5:55 pm
Maybe wait til after Sefira at this point?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 7:03 pm
My kids also grew moustaches very early. Started at 11 1/2 and noticable by 12. Really ready to shave at 12 1/2. This is all within a normal range. He will look and feel so much better when he shaves. Growing back isn't an issue... it will continue to grow regardless. He'll just need to shave regularly and that's fine.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe wait til after Sefira at this point?

Why?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:08 am
amother wrote:
Um, what does what other boys do have to do with anything? The right age to shave a mustache is the the age at which he has a mustache. If that happens at 10, then he can start shaving at 10. If that happens at 16, then he can start shaving at 16.

iyar wrote:
The age a boy should shave his mustache is the exact same age as when he has a mustache he can shave.
(Unless your family's minhag is for a man never to shave in which case presumably you wouldn't be asking.)

If a young man wants to have, or doesn't mind having a mustache, there would be no "right age to shave" or age where he "should shave".

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:27 am
Yes, some hold young skin is sensitive and shouldn't shave regularly, the same parents who don't want girls shaving, the same estheticians who don't epilate girls under 16/18.

That said, while I find the idea of a 12 year old shaving so jarring, if you hold it's ok for the skin, then why not?

salt

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 5:32 am
momX4 wrote:
I'm waiting for my ds to ask, unless it starts to come in more. He has a mustache Shadow. Its noticable only close-up.

It depends what your son is like, but I remember being too embarrassed to ask my mum if I can shave my legs. In the end I forced myself to ask her, but if she'd have brought it up, I'd have felt more comfortable.
I would suggest it at some point. At least let him know that he can ask for a shaver when he wants one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children