Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Do I need to tell my guests?
1  2  Next

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:14 pm
We will have some family staying over during Pesach. My kid has pinworms. Do I need to tell them?

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:21 pm
I'm so, so sorry! The internet tells me that pinworms arr highly contagious, so I do think you need to tell guests.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:23 pm
Yes!!!! Its HIGHLY contagious!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:23 pm
is there a chance they won't be your guests? Meaning if they are 100% going to be at your place with no chance for an alternative plan... I wouldn't tell them - why make them feel uncomfortable. Of course you will be very vigilant to make sure their bedding is clean, and the rest of the house is clean, and your child is washing his hands...

but if you are giving them a heads up so they should decide if they want to come or not... then yes the right thing to do is to say something.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:26 pm
YES! You must tell them

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:27 pm
Yes. And the same should be if a guest has pinworms they should let their host know before as well.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
is there a chance they won't be your guests? Meaning if they are 100% going to be at your place with no chance for an alternative plan... I wouldn't tell them - why make them feel uncomfortable. Of course you will be very vigilant to make sure their bedding is clean, and the rest of the house is clean, and your child is washing his hands...

but if you are giving them a heads up so they should decide if they want to come or not... then yes the right thing to do is to say something.

They don't really have another plan but maybe they would arrange something or at least make an 'informed decision' that they are comfortable with. Or maybe once they know they would still come but not want to be around my child which actually makes me sad especially if it would be obvious.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Yes. And the same should be if a guest has pinworms they should let their host know before as well.

Would you rent an apartment or an airbnb if your child had pinworms?

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:34 pm
Yes. Pinworms are extremely contagious. They are airborne and live on every surface. Get working on eradicating them asap but it takes a minimum of two weeks, once for the adults to die and then for the eggs.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
They don't really have another plan but maybe they would arrange something or at least make an 'informed decision' that they are comfortable with. Or maybe once they know they would still come but not want to be around my child which actually makes me sad especially if it would be obvious.

How long does the treatment need to take effect?

Seems to me the issue would be the eggs that are 'lying around' the house, and not your child.

I suppose despite my initial post, I would fully disclose - but also disclose the measures you've taken to clean your linens/fabrics - and where child is in treatment, and what that means for him personally being contagious.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
Would you rent an apartment or an airbnb if your child had pinworms?

What about this?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 2:35 pm
For those who are saying that the eggs are on all the surfaces, my child just got them so I'm assuming it hasn't already spread everywhere. If I give my child vermox- does that mean he is not contagious/ less contagious?

Miri7

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
For those who are saying that the eggs are on all the surfaces, my child just got them so I'm assuming it hasn't already spread everywhere. If I give my child vermox- does that mean he is not contagious/ less contagious?

If your son has shown symptoms (tush itching), then he's most certainly gotten an active case of pinworms - which means that they are laying eggs. One can assume that the eggs are all around.

Typically when a child has them, the entire household is treated as they are assumed to have been exposed and treating one person after another just passes them around. All of the families I know have been treated as a family when one child was determined to have pinworms.

Our family contracted it when we were in a condo that our cousin who had had pinworms had been staying. All of the linens were laundered, the whole place had been vacuumed, surfaces wiped down, toys put away. We never saw the cousin or the cousin's family - we were there a few days after they'd left and the whole place had been cleaned.

Still - my kids got it.

Please tell your guests so they have time to decide if they want to make other arrangements.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:22 pm
if your are my host: please please tell me, so that I am informed. I will most probably come anyway, but if I/dh/kids show symptoms I will know quickly what they have and how to treat it. also ill behave towards your dc normally, my kids will play with your dc. after all my dc are in gan/school, where pinworms occur sometimes, these things happen, no need to feel embarassed im very sure you (as a caring mother and host) do your utmost to medically treat your child and keep everything clean.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:28 pm
Was child treated? Pediatricians say to treat and after 8 hours, child is no longer contagious.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:44 pm
I wouldn't say anything. Treat them now and u will be fine. Of it comes up then u can say they were treated.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:48 pm
Pinworms are this contagious? Because kids get them and they don't plow through the schools like lice does, and there are never any memos about pinworms. As a kind, my brother always got pinworms and the rest of us never did.

Can you give your guests some real science? Go to web MD and check out the info?

Miri7

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
Pinworms are this contagious? Because kids get them and they don't plow through the schools like lice does, and there are never any memos about pinworms. As a kind, my brother always got pinworms and the rest of us never did.

Can you give your guests some real science? Go to web MD and check out the info?

from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/......html

How is pinworm infection treated?

Pinworm can be treated with either prescription or over-the-counter medications. A health care provider should be consulted before treating a suspected case of pinworm infection.

Treatment involves two doses of medication with the second dose being given 2 weeks after the first dose. All household contacts and caretakers of the infected person should be treated at the same time. Reinfection can occur easily so strict observance of good hand hygiene is essential (e.g. proper handwashing, maintaining clean short fingernails, avoiding nail biting, avoiding scratching the perianal area).

Daily morning bathing and daily changing of underwear helps removes a large proportion of eggs. Showering may be preferred to avoid possible contamination of bath water. Careful handling and frequent changing of underclothing, night clothes, towels, and bedding can help reduce infection, reinfection, and environmental contamination with pinworm eggs. These items should be laundered in hot water, especially after each treatment of the infected person and after each usage of washcloths until infection is cleared.

Should family and other close contacts of someone with pinworm also be treated for pinworm?

Yes. The infected person and all household contacts and caretakers of the infected person should be treated at the same time.

How can pinworm infection and reinfection be prevented?

Strict observance of good hand hygiene is the most effective means of preventing pinworm infection. This includes washing hands with soap and warm water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before handling food. Keep fingernails clean and short, avoid fingernail-biting, and avoid scratching the skin in the perianal area. Teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent infection.

Daily morning bathing and changing of underclothes helps remove a large proportion of pinworm eggs and can help prevent infection and reinfection. Showering may be preferred to avoid possible contamination of bath water. Careful handling (avoid shaking) and frequent laundering of underclothes, night clothes, towels, and bed sheets using hot water also helps reduce the chance of infection and reinfection by reducing environmental contamination with eggs.

Control can be difficult in child care centers and schools because the rate of reinfection is high. In institutions, mass and simultaneous treatment, repeated in 2 weeks, can be effective. Hand hygiene is the most effective method of prevention. Trimming and scrubbing the fingernails and bathing after treatment is important to help prevent reinfection and spread of pinworms.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 3:58 pm
Miri7 wrote:
from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/......html

How is pinworm infection treated?

Pinworm can be treated with either prescription or over-the-counter medications. A health care provider should be consulted before treating a suspected case of pinworm infection.

Treatment involves two doses of medication with the second dose being given 2 weeks after the first dose. All household contacts and caretakers of the infected person should be treated at the same time. Reinfection can occur easily so strict observance of good hand hygiene is essential (e.g. proper handwashing, maintaining clean short fingernails, avoiding nail biting, avoiding scratching the perianal area).

Daily morning bathing and daily changing of underwear helps removes a large proportion of eggs. Showering may be preferred to avoid possible contamination of bath water. Careful handling and frequent changing of underclothing, night clothes, towels, and bedding can help reduce infection, reinfection, and environmental contamination with pinworm eggs. These items should be laundered in hot water, especially after each treatment of the infected person and after each usage of washcloths until infection is cleared.

Should family and other close contacts of someone with pinworm also be treated for pinworm?

Yes. The infected person and all household contacts and caretakers of the infected person should be treated at the same time.

How can pinworm infection and reinfection be prevented?

Strict observance of good hand hygiene is the most effective means of preventing pinworm infection. This includes washing hands with soap and warm water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before handling food. Keep fingernails clean and short, avoid fingernail-biting, and avoid scratching the skin in the perianal area. Teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent infection.

Daily morning bathing and changing of underclothes helps remove a large proportion of pinworm eggs and can help prevent infection and reinfection. Showering may be preferred to avoid possible contamination of bath water. Careful handling (avoid shaking) and frequent laundering of underclothes, night clothes, towels, and bed sheets using hot water also helps reduce the chance of infection and reinfection by reducing environmental contamination with eggs.

Control can be difficult in child care centers and schools because the rate of reinfection is high. In institutions, mass and simultaneous treatment, repeated in 2 weeks, can be effective. Hand hygiene is the most effective method of prevention. Trimming and scrubbing the fingernails and bathing after treatment is important to help prevent reinfection and spread of pinworms.

Now I'm wondering how nobody else in our house got pinworms.

You have to tell your guests.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 4:05 pm
Yes. I would want to know. People can have physical issues that might be affected by it (or more likely, to the treatment), and they need to be able to make an informed decision.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics