Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How do u dress ur kids on chol hamoed? F
1  2  3  Next

zebra111

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 3:50 pm
Im fascinated by these families wandering around yeushalayim where the kids 0-18 all wear the same matching outfits. These clothes seem too casual for shabbat and too fancy for day to day wear. So..when do these clothes get worn again? Do 4/5 new sets of matching clothes get bought every chag? When a new baby is born/ an older child grows out of matching set, what happens to the siblings' outfits?!?!
Can anyone enlighten me?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 4:20 pm
We are not in the same world.

I dress my kid in clothes appropriate for our activity. If parks/playgrounds then she most certainly wears every day clothes

zebra111

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 4:25 pm
Truth is I do too, it boggles my mind how organised women can be to have all this coordination going on. Id love to understand it

blessedflower

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 5:30 pm

Last edited by blessedflower on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 6:34 pm
I think they do wear fancier things for everyday than you do. I don't know Yerushalayim but I do know Williamsburg, you can go on an ordinary Sunday and the kids are dressed up for a visit to the doctor's office the way I'd dress my kids on chol hamoed. So I guess that's what they're wearing on chol hamoed too.

I generally have my kids wear their "best" weekday clothes for chol hamoed. I don't buy things specifically for this, but sometimes we get as gifts or hand-me-downs something that I feel is too nice to trash in everyday play, so I reserve them for occasions like chol hamoed, parties, visiting dignitaries (aka grandparents, etc.) So they usually have one or two of those, and then for additional chol hamoed days I'd just use the nicest of their everyday clothes. And of course as pesek zman said if we're going to a playground we're wearing playground clothes, regardless.

zebra111

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 8:05 pm
Oh wow that sounds like incredibley hard work and a lot of laundry to keep up with!!!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 8:54 pm
zebra111 wrote:
Truth is I do too, it boggles my mind how organised women can be to have all this coordination going on. Id love to understand it

For me it's way easier to dress them in matching clothes than to look by a few different sizes for different clothes. Three girls close in age are in matching clothes on chol hamoed because-
1-it's easier
2- it'a safer when we go on outings

They wear the same casual clothes in the spring after. Once they are done the clothes get hand down to my sister.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 8:56 pm
zebra111 wrote:
Oh wow that sounds like incredibley hard work and a lot of laundry to keep up with!!!

Why a lot of laundry? The same way your kids wear clothes every day so do those that are in "matching" clothes. Regardless of what they wear, it has to get washed

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 9:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
For me it's way easier to dress them in matching clothes than to look by a few different sizes for different clothes. Three girls close in age are in matching clothes on chol hamoed because-
1-it's easier

They wear the same casual clothes in the spring after. Once they are done the clothes get hand down to my sister.

Can I know what the hug was for? 🤔

CDL

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 9:41 pm
mama24 wrote:
I have a sister that ONLY dresses her 5 kids the same. By her it's a illness almost. I wouldn't know how it's by others but she would give away or throw away all her kids stuff if one child outgrew it. Also if one child gets a stain or dirty all her kids have to change!!!! It's mental!!!! Another sister has every season one matching outfit for all and she still uses it when one kid outgrows it. She also uses it the next year for the kids that it fits. I don't think matching like this is nice. Let kids wear what they like. Every child has a different taste
is she wealthy? I’m curious, because this sounds expensive ! I put my kids in their nicest weekday clothes. But if we’re doing something messy then of course not.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 9:52 pm
My kids do wear nicer weekday clothing on Chol
Hamoed. Some people ,especially boys, wear shabbos clothing for kedushas moed but I find that highly impractical. I’m not into the matching though..my kids have a couple of matching things like five dollar T-shirts from H&M but other than that I don’t make myself crazy....

SplitPea

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 11:44 pm
I have my kids match for practical purposes. I can easily pick them out in a crowd. We get our matching things at Gymboree, target, etc though

zebra111

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 11:54 pm
Those of u who do matching, is it just on chol hamoed or yr round?
SplitPea, do u buy new sets for everyone when one child has outgrown?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 01 2018, 11:58 pm
zebra111 wrote:
Those of u who do matching, is it just on chol hamoed or yr round?
SplitPea, do u buy new sets for everyone when one child has outgrown?

I buy matching because it's easier to shop like that in general. If they all need new t shirts I buy one in each size. I buy cheap- half price at Gymboree or Gap etc or if I see nice skirts at the end of the season on sale, I buy it for the following summer. They usually wear it a good 2 seasons so after that I send it further. Or I pass it down to my own kids first. They don't always match!!!

zigi

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 3:42 am
you can also buy up a size so it can last another year. I like to match my kids in orange. lol 2 kids favorite color anyway. I can spot them from a few floors away. lol. I can get away with having the kids match once in a while. otherwise they each pick what they want. I do have 2 kids who are close in age and like matching

blessedflower

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 6:40 am

Last edited by blessedflower on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Studious

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 7:12 am
seeker wrote:
I think they do wear fancier things for everyday than you do. I don't know Yerushalayim but I do know Williamsburg, you can go on an ordinary Sunday and the kids are dressed up for a visit to the doctor's office the way I'd dress my kids on chol hamoed. So I guess that's what they're wearing on chol hamoed too.

I generally have my kids wear their "best" weekday clothes for chol hamoed. I don't buy things specifically for this, but sometimes we get as gifts or hand-me-downs something that I feel is too nice to trash in everyday play, so I reserve them for occasions like chol hamoed, parties, visiting dignitaries (aka grandparents, etc.) So they usually have one or two of those, and then for additional chol hamoed days I'd just use the nicest of their everyday clothes. And of course as pesek zman said if we're going to a playground we're wearing playground clothes, regardless.

Love the way you call them visiting dignitaries!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 7:30 am
flowerpower wrote:
1-it's easier

Safer?? shock

Zehava

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 7:32 am
I love to match my kids it looks so adorable and yes it’s easier to pick them out in a crowd like in the airport. Sometimes places like gap have a collection design for adults through babies so I get that. Designers also usually do collections for boys, girls, and babies. I used to get from Jewish-designed stores but some of them really didn’t hold up well so I try to get from different places instead.
I usually have 2 max 3 matching sets and they wear that on chol hamoed. When they’re all dirty it’s no more matching.

tovli toraspicha

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 10:06 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Safer?? shock

I've been able to return a few lost young children to their families due to their matching clothing - at the kotel, in an airport, etc. I think this is what she is referring to.
(I don't often match my kids)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics