Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it ok to wait one more day?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 10:55 pm
Oops, I posted before reading the entire thread. Will check in later or tmrw for updates.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 12:35 am
My son (2 or 3 at the time) also randomly started limping with no pain.
After multiple dr visits and a few minor tests to eliminate anything else, he was diagnosed with sinovitis, inflammation of the joint. Was told to go on rest for 3 days and take Ibuprofen.
It was no big deal - went away after that. You may want to research.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 2:22 am
amother wrote:
My son (2 or 3 at the time) also randomly started limping with no pain.
After multiple dr visits and a few minor tests to eliminate anything else, he was diagnosed with sinovitis, inflammation of the joint. Was told to go on rest for 3 days and take Ibuprofen.
It was no big deal - went away after that. You may want to research.

Thanks. It is actually one of the possibilities the doctors have mentioned. It is a result of a virus such as a cold etc, which he did have about a week ago which would go away on its own. But they have started him on IV antibiotics until they have clearer answers.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 2:57 am
Refuah Shelaima! Have they checked for osteomyelelitis? I know someone who had it as a kid and all she remembers is not being able to walk due to the pain....
Refuah Shelaima!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 3:13 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Refuah Shelaima! Have they checked for osteomyelelitis? I know someone who had it as a kid and all she remembers is not being able to walk due to the pain....
Refuah Shelaima!

He had an MRI done to check for that , it just wont be read until the morning and they may need to do a biopsy on the bone as well. He was told he needs to fast incase they need to put him under general anesthesia to perform the biopsy. They are definitely looking at osteomyelitis as a possibility

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 3:50 am
(A couple of years back my one year old nephew started limping from one day to the next. His white blood cell count was high and it turned out to be Lyme disease. He was better very soon after beginning antibiotics!).
I’m sorry thunderstorm! The hospital is miserable, and waiting is miserable. I hope you get an easy answer back soon and are home safe and sound ASAP.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 6:39 am
The reason things are drawn out here is because they are puzzled but he looks fine so they are probably not very concernwd at the moment. If he would deteriorate they would speed things up. And thunderstorm please if you do see him looking feverish or he's chv' getting more symptoms then don't wait and tell a nurse. They get busy so your there to alert them.
I remember being in the er overnight with a 4 month old and I was also there alone dh needed to stay home with ds.

I knew that I had to update the nurses. Ok she was 4 months old. Turns out she had uti with severely high fever and dehydration.

Even though they come to check on him you being alert is the best.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
The reason things are drawn out here is because they are puzzled but he looks fine so they are probably not very concernwd at the moment. If he would deteriorate they would speed things up. And thunderstorm please if you do see him looking feverish or he's chv' getting more symptoms then don't wait and tell a nurse. They get busy so your there to alert them.
I remember being in the er overnight with a 4 month old and I was also there alone dh needed to stay home with ds.

I knew that I had to update the nurses. Ok she was 4 months old. Turns out she had uti with severely high fever and dehydration.

Even though they come to check on him you being alert is the best.

Thanks! I know ! And now he woke up and had terrible pain in his other leg !!! I told the nurse first thing and he will tell the doctor.

jflower

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 10:34 am
Thunderstorm, I was thinking about you and your son and just checked for an update. I hope you get an answer & proper treatment soon. Refuah Shelaima.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 10:45 am
Orthopedic surgeon just confirmed that he won't need surgery and the jointbis not infected. He believes it's either Lyme Disease or Rheumetoif Arthritis. The other docs all are waiting for MRI results to rule out the bone infection and for the Lyme results which can take a couple of days . If it's neither than they will get rheumatology involved. They said that because his joint pain spread to the other leg it leans more and more away from an infection in the bone as well. So the waiting game continues.....they are following the same path they did with my other son. I asked them, if my other son wasn't in the picture and didn't have a similar story would they still take the same route and they said yes.
My Rav said DH could go into my house to take what he needs. Now the trick is for him to put something together for me to wear. I hope he will find stuff.
So I think I'm settled for sitting here another day. (My boss will NOT be happy) today was MY day to be in the office Chol Hamoed. We each take turns.
Thanks all for listening to me, it gets pretty lonely here .

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:00 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Orthopedic surgeon just confirmed that he won't need surgery and the jointbis not infected. He believes it's either Lyme Disease or Rheumetoif Arthritis. The other docs all are waiting for MRI results to rule out the bone infection and for the Lyme results which can take a couple of days . If it's neither than they will get rheumatology involved. They said that because his joint pain spread to the other leg it leans more and more away from an infection in the bone as well. So the waiting game continues.....they are following the same path they did with my other son. I asked them, if my other son wasn't in the picture and didn't have a similar story would they still take the same route and they said yes.
My Rav said DH could go into my house to take what he needs. Now the trick is for him to put something together for me to wear. I hope he will find stuff.
So I think I'm settled for sitting here another day. (My boss will NOT be happy) today was MY day to be in the office Chol Hamoed. We each take turns.
Thanks all for listening to me, it gets pretty lonely here .

I'm so sorry, thunderstorm. As someone struggling with Lyme Disease I want you to know that Lyme tests are notorious for false negatives so if everything else is ruled out I'd assume it's Lyme. Lyme can be so debilitating that IMHO it's better to over-treat than to under-treat. I'm glad he's on IV and hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Keep hanging in there, we're rooting for you and davening for your son.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:34 am
Oh thunderstorm! Sending loads of hugs and love your way, with big doses of complete and speedy Refuah Shelaima! I wish I was nearby and could come visit and bring you guys some cheer.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:38 am
Hugs, thunderstorm. I'm so sorry for your situation! Maybe send a relation of urs to pick out Ur clothing if possible? My husband wouldn't have a clue without a GPS and exact coordinates.....

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:41 am
Major hugs! Can you convince them to run the labs for rheum already?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:48 am
amother wrote:

When diagnosing a rheumatological condition, everything else needs to be ruled out first. I suggest OP follow the guidance of her medical team. They seem to be right on track.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:48 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Hugs, thunderstorm. I'm so sorry for your situation! Maybe send a relation of urs to pick out Ur clothing if possible? My husband wouldn't have a clue without a GPS and exact coordinates.....

My husband found everything I need or whatever I hadn't packed, most o my Maternity stuff is in my suitcase at my inlaws house. I sent him on a treasure hunt . Check this drawer and that closet and this basket and that. It was a bit of a comedy , I just finished that phone conversation with him . So at least I can look forward to a shower and a change of clothes. He will go to his office and bring it to me in a few hours. Thanks again EVERYONE. Let's not forget , I almost pushed off going to the doc until this morning so it's thanks to you all for scarying me. I think I was stalling for exactly this reason, knowing that I most likely will be doing this . Even some of the doctors recognized me and said "hey! I know you! Weren't you just here a few months ago? The same kid?"

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:51 am
amother wrote:

They are not going to. It's the last on their list. It's the most frustrating thing. Everything gets so dragged out. My DH is convinced they do it intentionally so that they could keep billing the insurance. He is so fed up already. I'm being more accepting of the situation but he not so much.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:56 am
thunderstorm wrote:
They are not going to. It's the last on their list. It's the most frustrating thing. Everything gets so dragged out. My DH is convinced they do it intentionally so that they could keep billing the insurance. He is so fed up already. I'm being more accepting of the situation but he not so much.

Oy, that's so hard. I know that they have a protocol but sometimes they will bend it. Of course they need to rule out certain things, but it really can't hurt to run these labs simultaneously and then analyze the results in conjunction with the other information they have. I've had luck getting my pediatrician to make a few phone calls when kids were hospitalized. Otherwise yes, the dragging out can make you crazy Crying

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 11:57 am
thunderstorm wrote:

Perhaps your husband isn't aware of the seriousness of the situation? Is he poorly medically literate?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Oy, that's so hard. I know that they have a protocol but sometimes they will bend it. Of course they need to rule out certain things, but it really can't hurt to run these labs simultaneously and then analyze the results in conjunction with the other information they have. I've had luck getting my pediatrician to make a few phone calls when kids were hospitalized. Otherwise yes, the dragging out can make you crazy Crying

Sorry, rheumatology only steps in when everything else is ruled out. I think you are oversimplifying things, probably based on your lack of understanding of the situation and lack of medical knowledge. It is probably best if you stop pressuring OP since it is not helpful and will only increase her anxiety.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics