Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Any Imamothers in healthcare?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 4:31 pm
Will you include wives of doctors? That has a whole host of its own issues.

mamochka

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 8:49 pm
I would like to join in if something is still going on. I am a peds resident

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 9:00 pm
how about pt, ot and speech? im an ot student and would love to hear how other professions view us in the medical settings where we often work. especially nicu and peds rehab

middy

Post Sun, Feb 10 2008, 9:09 pm
I'm interested. I am iyh graduating nursing school in june and hope to continue in midwifery, also I work as a birth assistant in a birthing center.

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 5:29 pm
count me in, paramedic, BSc in Exercise Science and Athletic therapy (if you really want to know, pm me!). Also, personal trainer and strength coach (ahhh, I refused to give up my education becuase of my religious beliefs, yes I am a PROUD BT!)

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 7:10 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
count me in, paramedic, BSc in Exercise Science and Athletic therapy (if you really want to know, pm me!). Also, personal trainer and strength coach (ahhh, I refused to give up my education becuase of my religious beliefs, yes I am a PROUD BT!)

montrealmommy, which part of what youre doing would you have to give up because of your religious beliefs? ? the personal training(--> negiah) part?? I know a few frum personal trainers (men and women). Good for you either way....just curious though!! Smile

montrealmommy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 3:47 pm
hi ss321,

It's more of the athletic therapy part and paramedic work. There are about a dozen female, frum paramedics in all of NY state (only 4 frum as far as I know, and 2 were in my class), Hatzoloh doesn't take women except in EXTREME cases (like very small group of trained people avialable, and even then it almost never happens) and working for the city or gov't is not ideal becuase of the hours one has to commit and the flexibility in schedule. As for personal training, I have been "barated" for working with men and some of the principles I have advocated (even when fully supported by local Rebbeim) -
According to those who consider themselves "more frum than the average yid" what I do is not such a fum profession/way of life . I have even been told I should leave my past there (in the past, and take on a more 'wholesome' line of work). Oh well, that's their opinion.

hope that answered your quesiton

Nomad

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 9:33 pm
hmm - former EMT and current psych ph.d. student - but I work with neurologically damaged patients in hospital setting - would that count?...

ss321

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 10:18 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
hi ss321,

It's more of the athletic therapy part and paramedic work.

According to those who consider themselves "more frum than the average yid" what I do is not such a fum profession/way of life . I have even been told I should leave my past there (in the past, and take on a more 'wholesome' line of work). Oh well, that's their opinion.

hope that answered your quesiton

cool! im sorry people are so closed-minded. I dont really understand the "stigma" or even why hatzolah wouldnt consider having a team of female EMTs, who would work with women! I mean im sure there are alot of situations where frum womenwould feel more comfortable w/ a woman EMT, right? but in an emergency situaiton, you just dont have that choice....
anyway, back in college, I wanted to become an EMT, there were a few people in my class who did it, but it was "pas nisht for a frum girl," so I didnt
good 4 u!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 7:10 am
thanks. It's true, some of the attitudes out there are sad. Re: Hatzoloh, the reasons I were given that they do not accept women are pretty understandable and proper (none of the 'expected' reasons) - they are wholesome, valid reasons. But, it is good to note that they will work with women, either frum or otherwise. In Monsey there is a group called Shfra and Puah who help with emergency deliveries (baby), they are there for the women's comfort, etc... and they are all well trained in emergency situation. When Hatzalah does arrive, they are cooperative and respectful working with the women, not fighting them. So, they have the proper intentions.

ss321

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 7:30 am
montrealmommy wrote:
thanks. It's true, some of the attitudes out there are sad. Re: Hatzoloh, the reasons I were given that they do not accept women are pretty understandable and proper (none of the 'expected' reasons) - they are wholesome, valid reasons.

no, I totally understand where theyre coming from, its for reasons of tznius, but although the group in monsey is wonderful, I just think (IMHO) that it would be ever better(!) if all those women were actually trained EMT's, and you didnt need a seperate group of hatzolah members to come assist! If you had women who could specifically handle issues such as that, or even just potentially, one small team, to be on call for female cases that get called in...it would maybe make alot of women more comfortable. I mean in an emergency situation, you dont rly have much of a choice, but im sure if someone was asked, hypothetically, if, ch'v u were in such a situation, would you prefer a guy or a woman, alot of the woman would say theyd prefer a female emt. am I correct? I dunno, I have zilcho experience in the area. but anyway, kol hakavod for what u do...

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 6:16 pm
did anything happen with the closed healthcare forum. I'm an rn too. I'd love to join!

Ima2

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 10:28 pm
Same as chaylizi, what ever happened with the subforum? I'm a PT.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:06 pm
I was wondering if anyone was in similar situation before or know of anyone who was there. I am starting my second year of residency. I am working 80 hrs per week, 3/4 sundays a months. I am expecting my third child. My oldest is 3 and 3 months. And I am more than willing to give it all up. My family (particularly my husband and my oldest) is suffering too much. And I am not sure at all if I want it that badly and like it that much to continue.
I heard of women giving up medicine and becoming full time mommies. Does anyone have an experience with this?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
I was wondering if anyone was in similar situation before or know of anyone who was there. I am starting my second year of residency. I am working 80 hrs per week, 3/4 sundays a months. I am expecting my third child. My oldest is 3 and 3 months. And I am more than willing to give it all up. My family (particularly my husband and my oldest) is suffering too much. And I am not sure at all if I want it that badly and like it that much to continue.
I heard of women giving up medicine and becoming full time mommies. Does anyone have an experience with this?

are you sure you won't be resentful later? I could imagine that would be hard. I was working 36 hours as an RN (3 12 hour shifts) & I was so sick this time (I'm also expecting my 3rd) that I just quit. it was much easier working with only one. but you would be done with your training soon & then could work part time no? but I have been an RN for several years already and my training and license are behind me. as an aside, dh's grandfather went through medical school & finished an entire residency, and then droppecd the whole thing & went into real estate. he keeps his license up though.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:18 pm
I keep on asking myself if I will regret it or not and can not find an answer. Yes, my plan was to finish and to work part time but even part time is more like a regular person's full time with being on call and having to do the charts and keeping my knowledge up.
So confusing

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:36 pm
How many years is your residency? If it's three (hopefully), then we are talking about 2 more years. You have already been through a lot to give it up at this point. Too much physical, emotional, and $$$$ investment. I'm sure you know that is usually gets better as you go up the rungs of the hiarchy. The hours might be slightly less, and the work slightly less taxing. (not running around the floor like a chicken without a head putting in IVs, ect.)
The key thing here is proper communication with your husband. How does he feel? Do you let him know that you really rather be spending time with him then coming home late (again) because a patient was crashing. He needs to know that he is still #1, so he doesn't feel like #2.

You also have to keep the future in mind. You don't want to quit and decide 10 years down the line what a big mistake you made, or once your children are in school all day and find you are bored.
As an aside, not all people are happy being SAHMs, especially when you are used to being so busy.

hatzlacha.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
I keep on asking myself if I will regret it or not and can not find an answer. Yes, my plan was to finish and to work part time but even part time is more like a regular person's full time with being on call and having to do the charts and keeping my knowledge up.
So confusing

I understand you. my overwhelming full time is probably less than your part time could possibly be. but unless you go to the residency director and ask for a year off, you wil not be able to finish unless you do it now.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
So confusing

My neighbor dropped out of her pathology residency after 2 years when she gave birth to her 2nd. She wanted to be a full-time mom, but was trying to work something out with her residency and the program head was being difficult. She just had her 3rd and says she has no intention of going back - she doesn't even own up to being and MD anymore.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 6:06 pm
Yes, I have to be more expressive with my husband about where my priorities lie and show him more of appreciation for all that he is doing.
My program is a 3 year program. After my maternity leave I will have another year and 9 months to go.
I wonder if I am just being burned out.
I already have requested 2 months off when the baby comes but currently am considering asking for 4 more so then I would be able to figure out what to do next. But I am scared to approach my program director. He is a nice Jewish man (most of the hospital is black but most of the MDs are Jewish) and he helped me out so much before that asking for more I wonder if I would be pushing it.
But I have to do it for me if not for my family.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics