Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Feeling so burnt out. Am I terrible?!?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 7:58 pm
It's probably my exhaustion speaking, but I am so irritable and really need a break from being a housewife. I worked hard to prepare the house for Pesach, and prepared nice meals for the four Yom tov meals of the first days. Yesterday I took them on a chol hamoed trip- stressful enough- and trying to figure out what to do with children ranging from preschool to teen, and yet keeping them all happy was also stressful. Today I just lay in bed trying to rest and can't think of cooking for another four meals. We are limited in the foods we eat and we don't use prepared foods. Dinner was going to be baked homemade duck sauce chicken that wasn't eaten yesterday but the kids complained so cutlets are defrosting now in the sink (yes, at almost 8 pm!) so I can grill them some fresh food. Yes, I know some would never make a new dinner- terrible parenting of me, maybe... I've been going to bed significantly after midnight most nights, so I'm sure that's a big factor in my current grouchiness. And Pesach is a Yom tov I like least.
Anyone else feel this way?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:07 pm
Yes! Pesach is just really really hard especially if you come from the same background it sounds like I come from where you buy almost nothing out of the house and make everything from scratch. You absolutely should not have made your kids a new supper. Tomorrow please make it your business to do something just for yourself. Serve leftovers. Whatever. Take care of yourself!

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:16 pm
Why would you be terrible? You sound very giving and loving

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:31 pm
Pesach is overwhelming for anyone. If the chumras r ruining your simchas Yom tov ask a Shayla if you should really be doing them. Being able to buy hot dogs/chicken nuggets,etc. Makes chol hamoed meals a lot easier and less stressful

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:36 pm
Totally feel the same way. It's hard to listen to kids kvetching sbout being starving.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:43 pm
I would not get through YT if I didn't get some alone time on chol hamoed. Are your kids old enough to be left alone, or can you find someone to watch them for a few hours so you can get out and be alone for a bit? I enjoy taking a scenic walk, though I guess it depends what the weather is like where you are.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:57 pm
Just throw meat or chicken and potatos into the crockpot everyday easy and fresh so you won't be so burnt out

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
Yes! Pesach is just really really hard especially if you come from the same background it sounds like I come from where you buy almost nothing out of the house and make everything from scratch. You absolutely should not have made your kids a new supper. Tomorrow please make it your business to do something just for yourself. Serve leftovers. Whatever. Take care of yourself!

*Totally* agree on on this one.
Pesach is The most stressful yomtov the entire year and no mother is a restaurant.
Eat what is being served or stay hungry. Period.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 9:52 am
You are normal
Kids do complain... normal also
I think it’s a long Chol Hamoed and in order to be able to function and cook for second days... you need time for yourself
Not every day has to be a trip
Take one day where you just relax and get your energy back

SingALong

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 11:35 am
I notice a lot of husbands out with the kids Chol Hamoed with no mother/wife...usually wife is home cleaning up breakfast and preparing supper. It’s hard to manage the home front and be out all day on a trip. Is that an option for your family?

When I do go on trips I prepare supper in a crock pot. Or take from the freezer what I cooked in advance. (Today I took yapchik out of the freezer, put meatballs in the crockpot, leftover mashed potato and Shnitzel from yesterday, and last night I shredded veggies for today’s salad. )

I try to do short outings of 3-4 hours so it’s not so intense, and I have time to relax and prepare food. All day trips are draining for everyone adults and kids alike.

Usually erev yt I stay in while Dh goes out with kids a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics