Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No longer frum keeping Pesach
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:59 am
gnomey wrote:
People who are not frum choose to observe in their own way for the same reasons frum people choose to observe in their own way. It makes them feel good, they believe it is necessary, the benefits outweigh the burdens, it makes them feel connected to Judaism/Hashem/their family or ancestors, they would feel bad or guilty if they didn't, are a few reasons that come to mind. They don't follow other rules for the same reasons -- they don't believe it is necessary, for them it is more burdensome than beneficial, it doesn't feel good when they do it and they don't feel bad if they don't, etc.

I know you said the OP was meant with respect but I think it's inherently condescending to be baffled at what could possibly motivate Jews to want to follow Jewish laws -- just look at why we do it and use empathy to extend that to non-frum Jews. We are all Jewish at heart.

Agree with this.

Also, just because somebody is "OTD" does not mean he observes *zero* mitzvot. Many people's religious practice is not all or nothing.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 10:22 am
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread -- it really gave me different and better perspective on my husband who is not-so-observant! Smile

DH didn't keep a Kosher kitchen before we were married, and had no problem eating out, but he still had some rules of what was okay to eat and not (I don't understand, though,) and he still would buy KLP and matzah to bring home to his trief kitchen. He was doing what he thought was right, even if it seems crazy to me.

happyone

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 10:36 am
My non religious friend married an Italian gentile . Italians are very family oriented. Her husband encouraged her to keep pesach. They celebrate Passover and make a seder. They enjoy sharing her jewish heritage and traditions with both extended families. She usually asks me a hundred questions about what's allowed, whats not, whats halacha, what are chumras, yet they keep nothing else.
Tradition is important and I think it's beautiful . You never know where this would lead to. Oh, she also put up mezuzas for shmira!

DallasIma

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 11:33 am
Bisque, my husband isn't observant either, never was, and neither were his parents, but he's been on board with me the past few years with Pesach and also Yom Kippur, not to the extent I observe them but a long, long way past anything he ever did before. I agree with those who posted that the Jewish neshama is drawn to mitzvot.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 9:23 am
It's called traditional.
I grew up this way in a Sephardic home
RH, YK, Pesach always yes no matter what.
In my family's eyes this is what makes us Jewish.

If you were shomer Shabbat, kashrut, TM, then you were religious.

If you did more, then you were considered ultra-orthodox.

Our entire congregation, on Flatlands Ave. (don't know if it's still there) was like this.

If you didn't keep the top 3, then you might as well just be a [gentile].
This is how they thought and raised there family.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics