Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is pesach in Florida really bliss?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:27 am
probably weather that alone and out of your own house can certainly make for a vacation feel

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:28 am
what is the cost for something like that?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
what is the cost for something like that?

I know families that rented a villa I. Orlando (not part of a program, did all the work themselves ) and it cost $2,000

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 7:44 pm
pause wrote:
I imagine a community that's building itself doesn't do well when its numbers swell unpredictably and uncontrollably. The masses descending upon Orlando are seen as an onslaught to many, not unlike the way the Catskills is invaded for two months every summer; the locals resent it.

Orlando is not the same as the Catskills. Orlando is full of tourists all year round. The houses all these frum people are making pesach in? They’re rental houses. They’re always filled with tourists, not locals.

So, yes, pesach time it’s, let’s say, 90% frum jews renting there as opposed to most of the year where it’s 2% frum Jews and 98% filled with other tourists (totally made up statistic.) But that shouldn’t make a difference to the locals.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 7:54 pm
It really was amazing for my family
Can’t say totally bliss it still requeres work
But worth it for us
You have to be flexible, and go easy on the cooking for it to be a worthwhile experience and enjoyable for your family

Power1Mom

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:14 pm
We’ve done the Florida Pesach thing the past 4 years, and my family loves it. Because of our work schedules, it’s the only extended vacation time we get.
It can be work, depending which way you do it. It’s beautiful when you go with either family or friends, and share the work load, so it’s not so overwhelming.
It can be very expensive, depending on how you do it, but for our family, it’s our once a year vacation, so the expense is worth it.

Power1Mom

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:16 pm
If you want help planning or need ideas how to do it in the future, let me know. We’ve tried with and without a program, and I can tell you the ups and downs to both.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:28 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
As in 'it has become the new must have' thing? Or?

I primarily meant this.

However, you should also know that all these homes in our community that are being bought to turn into vacation homes are not doing anyone here a favor. There are actually not enough home s in the community to buy and the prices of the homes are skyrocketing out of control. In the past 2 years the average cost of a standard North Miami Beach home has risen about 100k! That's not normal and it's pricing regular local homebuyers out of the market.

It also makes the shopping and traffic hard during heavy vacation time. The grocery stores are small but during the vacation months they are packed and the lines sooo long.

And you should also know that some stores and for sure the resteraunts have higher prices during tourist season, which we are stuck with paying.

That being said, I happen to enjoy seeing tourists. I bump into the randomest people (kinda like in Israel) and I have a sense for pride that pple love our city so much they flock to it. (Not sure other locals feel that way though). At the same time, I don't think our city/state is all that amazing. I've been to much nicer locals. (So it must be the pple you see coming for, lol.)

Maryann

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:31 pm
Peach can you please pm me?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:47 pm
Maryann wrote:
Peach can you please pm me?

Why??

Maryann

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 8:51 pm
[quote="amother"]Why??[/quot7e]

Just wanted to ask u something but not public ... I understand if you don't want to

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:36 pm
[quote="amother"]I primarily meant this.

However, you should also know that all these homes in our community that are being bought to turn into vacation homes are not doing anyone here a favor. There are actually not enough home s in the community to buy and the prices of the homes are skyrocketing out of control. In the past 2 years the average cost of a standard North Miami Beach home has risen about 100k! That's not normal and it's pricing regular local homebuyers out of the market.

It also makes the shopping and traffic hard during heavy vacation time. The grocery stores are small but during the vacation months they are packed and the lines sooo long.

And you should also know that some stores and for sure the resteraunts have higher prices during tourist season, which we are stuck with paying.

That being said, I happen to enjoy seeing tourists. I bump into the randomest people (kinda like in Israel) and I have a sense for pride that pple love our city so much they flock to it. (Not sure other locals feel that way though). At the same time, I don't think our city/state is all that amazing. I've been to much nicer locals. (So it must be the pple you see coming for, lol.)[/quote

As annoying as it sounds it's just too bad, that's life. I know somebody who rents in Jerusalem for years and can't afford to buy because the Jewish rich from all over the world buy apartments there.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:48 pm
There's a difference between Orlando and S. FL.
Orlando - tourist town with limited kosher resources.

S.Fl.- from Boca to M.B. (Basically) Jewish all year long. Great kosher shops and restaurants. No shlepping needed.

It was just as stressful for S. FL. IMA's as it was for Brooklyn IMA's

It's always better when your on vacation and you share the work.

If I would rent a house in Brooklyn it may be just as blissful for me.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:18 pm
Can someone who vacationed in Orlando please post a sample of your menu in your rented home in Florida?

Where do you go for Chol Hamoed? It must be packed in Disney.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:09 am
amother wrote:
There's a difference between Orlando and S. FL.
Orlando - tourist town with limited kosher resources.

S.Fl.- from Boca to M.B. (Basically) Jewish all year long. Great kosher shops and restaurants. No shlepping needed.

It was just as stressful for S. FL. IMA's as it was for Brooklyn IMA's

It's always better when your on vacation and you share the work.

If I would rent a house in Brooklyn it may be just as blissful for me.

Another Floridian here Very Happy
I agree with above, Orlando is tourist area, people who rent are no tin the from areas. During winter break, the shuls are full and there are pop up minyamin in all the themes parks, but Pesach needs a proper Sefer torah and minynim, so people who bring their own food rent together.
I love living in Florida!! It's gorgeous for 8 months of the year, hot and sticky for 4, but we have plenty of pools and air-conditioning! It sure beats winter up north!
Home prices and many things are cheaper. Certain food is more expensive, but between stores like Costco ( cheese, meat, chicken) Walmart (CY milk, basic kosher) and Winn dixie kosher bakery, can avoid the kosher store surcharges.
I only eat CY and PY and still keep it on budget
We eat outside most of the year! Kids play outside in school and how every day! either backyard or when for, in the pool.
We have shuls, schools, stores and restaurants and gorgeous beaches when we want.
A few hours form amazing theme parks with resident discounts and enough specials that it can be affordable at times.
Plus, I get to see family as they always want to come visit!!!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
Can someone who vacationed in Orlando please post a sample of your menu in your rented home in Florida?

No info on rentals but Disney is huge and usually more pack other times, the from people are not the only ones going there!
On Chol Hamoed, it's very easy to get a minyan!
I found CH easier if it's not spring break, that varies year by year

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:43 am
amother wrote:

Regarding food, you can buy Pesachdik meals and not have to cook a bit. I know a woman there who does it - Gitty's Gormet. She's an Orlando local, her husband is the pricipal of the yeshiva day school there. Of course that will up your price significantly but it requires way less shlepping and hassling. Also the stores in South Florida often have deliveries to Orlando during vacation season, so there is a lot of kosher food you can buy locally and not shlep.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:40 am
This year is the only year I went to Florida for Pesach, and I wasn't impressed. Yes, it was great to sit by the pool and watch my kids swim on erev yom tov and chol hamoed. When we weren't at the pool, it was too hot. I didn't pack many toys with me since my luggage was full, so my kids were too bored inside, but there was nothing to do outside when they couldn't swim.

rd0715

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:52 pm
We go for the past 5 years and we love every moment of it

Queen6

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:42 pm
No one will deny the weather in Florida Pesach time is 100% bliss. Especially after this Pesach I, sure everyone is wondering what they were sitting in the tri state area for 😔😔😔😔
HOWEVER
Going anywhere for Pesach involves tons of prep, planning, packing, organizing.... that part is not bliss. And to the poster who said she hopes the pool will keep her teens busy - it won’t. You are not going to Florida with a big family and just sitting in a pool for two weeks and not going to get any complaints.
With all this in mind it’s your decision if it’s worth going or staying home.
To each their own.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries