Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Wii, Xbox...

busymother

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 10:03 pm
My kids are begging me for a play device. We had a wii-u when it first came out but it broke after a couple months. Anyone know the sturdiest kind of system? 6 kids would likely be playing on it at once if possible...
Also, if you have a system, curious about the kind of rules you put down.
Tia!

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 5:30 am
We have a Wii, I have 6 children but only my 4 oldest- age 6-12 play. I much prefer the wii to a tablet because they are not hunched over a little screen and some of the games are slightly active, though I wouldn't quite call it exercise (they do something called wii fit with a board but we don't have that).

I only have non violent games - Olympics series, super Mario, etc.

No playing on school days at all, so it's Fridays after showers and shabbos job before shabbos, motzei shabbos when it's early, and Sundays. No playing before 8am on Sunday (they would start at 6am or earlier if I let) or before they are dressed. If they do start earlier I take the remotes away for an extra hour. No playing all day Sunday either - they have to daven, do a household job, do something creative, read, and go out at some point as well.

They have to sort out their own turns - I'm not getting involved in refereeing, and if there is fighting, name calling (esp in a multi player game) or it gets too noisy I take the remotes away. They have 4 remotes and super Mario they can play all 4 together and have to work together to all be at a similar pace and share the bonuses equally, mostly they have learned to cooperate.

I bought mine second-hand on Facebook, and the games as well.

busymother

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:27 am
Super helpful. Thanks so much!

monseymom25

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 12:07 pm
I second the choice for a Wii. Xbox games are more geared toward older kids and it's hard to find a selection of nonviolent ones. Wii is tons of fun. And Wii fit with the balance board is great.

zigi

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 1:17 pm
Nintendo is very sturdy, my son lol recommends a wii for family games. he says its worth to buy it used for 70. the games themselves aren't that expensive.
the switch is also a good option but pricier 350$ and each game averages 60$ it can be a single console or connect to a screen. the controllers can be used by 2 people you can play together also with the small screen. the xbox you need a knect and the games are more mature games. Nintendo has the most family friendly content. lol I listened to my son the expert. also by waking around gamestop with him and seeing the games that they have.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children