Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Writing Workshops--What would YOU like to see?
1  2  Next

write on

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 5:03 am
Hi everyone!

Riva Pomerantz here ;-). For a long time I've seen the real need to produce quality writing workshops and coaching tailored for the frum world, with the goal of helping talented new writers find their way to success. Now I'm finally trying to do something about it!

I'd really love to hear from you, wonderful women: what would YOU like to see in a writing workshop? Fiction? Non-fiction? How about therapeutic journaling? Writing your own memoir? I am not only addressing those women who want to write professionally. There are many women out there who would love to express themselves more coherently and eloquently even just to process their own private thoughts or memories. I'd like to hear from you, too.

What format would you prefer? A teleseminar (by phone) or a video webinar? Would you want to get a new class weekly, biweekly, or monthly, with homework in between?

I would also be super grateful if you could give me a sense of how interested you would be in enrolling in a writing workshop, getting access to insider tips, and even being part of a professional, serious, dedicated, and frum writing community. My goal would be to build wonderful writers; offer things like peer review, showcasing your work, and even real $$$ writing contests which are very rare in the frum world today. I have lots more great ideas down the line, b'ezrat Hashem :-).

You're welcome to PM me with your ideas or respond here. I really appreciate your feedback!

Hope you're having a great day!

Riva

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 6:57 am
Hi Reva,
I teach creative writing to tenth graders in Bklyn. Every year there are a couple of really talented girls. I always wish that I had a program to offer them that would help them develop their skills . ( I wish that I would've had such a program when I was in high school...) I'm not sure what type of program would work, but there is a need.

write on

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 9:51 am
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I was definitely thinking of offering a track for teen girls who, as you say, can be so amazingly talented but there's little out there for them. I have mentored quite a few teenagers in their writing and teens always have a special place in my heart, having struggled greatly myself as a teenager :-). I appreciate your input.

crust

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 10:33 am
Hi Riva!

Depending on the commitment level required, I would join!

I'd like to learn visually. I'm not great in phone meetings.

I don't learn too much from very long lectures. A smaller video would be more appealing to me.

Homework? If it's practical tools that you teach, then why not give an assignment? I would love to implement what I learn immediately.

I think I'll be more motivated if you review and/or give feedback on my work.
I would gain most if it will be interactive.

Good Luck!

Lita

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 11:00 am
Hi, you write that your goal is to help new writers find success.
I'm not a writer, but I'd love to learn HOW to write.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 11:33 am
I would join a workshop too.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 11:54 am
What would I like in a writing workshop?

1. Economy and/or a free sample class. Frankly I'm just not willing to invest significant fees in a workshop that I can't even predict will be worthwhile. I see numerous writing workshops advertised and I'm just not convinced they're all they're cracked up to be.

2. I think it would be more helpful to focus on writing craft rather than specifying fiction/non-fiction/memoir. I would love to see a workshop about how to develop your thoughts and ideas into stories, in a way that the skill could be applied to whichever type of story you want to write now or in the future.

3. Definitely video better than phone. Too much gets lost in phone teleconferences and for a writing workshop especially you want a more personal rapport. Every other week sounds about right - a month would be too far apart to keep up momentum, but every week doesn't give enough time to work on projects and also might be too hard to commit that often.

I'd be very interested in theory, but in practice it is really hard for me to dedicate time to something like this. Like, maybe when I retire... Confused

InnerMe

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 12:05 pm
write on wrote:
Hi everyone!

Riva Pomerantz here ;-). For a long time I've seen the real need to produce quality writing workshops and coaching tailored for the frum world, with the goal of helping talented new writers find their way to success. Now I'm finally trying to do something about it!

I'd really love to hear from you, wonderful women: what would YOU like to see in a writing workshop? Fiction? Non-fiction? How about therapeutic journaling? Writing your own memoir? I am not only addressing those women who want to write professionally. There are many women out there who would love to express themselves more coherently and eloquently even just to process their own private thoughts or memories. I'd like to hear from you, too.

What format would you prefer? A teleseminar (by phone) or a video webinar? Would you want to get a new class weekly, biweekly, or monthly, with homework in between?

I would also be super grateful if you could give me a sense of how interested you would be in enrolling in a writing workshop, getting access to insider tips, and even being part of a professional, serious, dedicated, and frum writing community. My goal would be to build wonderful writers; offer things like peer review, showcasing your work, and even real $$$ writing contests which are very rare in the frum world today. I have lots more great ideas down the line, b'ezrat Hashem :-).

You're welcome to PM me with your ideas or respond here. I really appreciate your feedback!

Hope you're having a great day!

Riva

Hey Riva!!
So glad to "meet" you here. I'm a long time fan of your works. I loved your serial that just ended in the Ami. You write so evocatively and REAL. I hope Shiffy and Yehuda's marriage work out, and that they live happily ever after! Cheers

It's interesting that I see your post now, as I recently had an email conversation with editor Bassi Gruen regarding this very topic- helping new writers get published. I feel that there are so many talented writers out there, that have lots to offer but have difficulty getting their works printed. And getting rejected time and time again does nothing to encourage further efforts. Sad Many writers (myself included) need some guidance, support to help us make it to the into the author world.

Now to answer your questions:
I'd be interested in therapeutic journaling. As it is I do loads of journaling on my own, but it can be exciting to do it as a group. However, the thing I'd be most interested is in learning better skills for writing magazine articles ie short personal insights, writing about little events or things that we found meaningful/symbolic/insightful/witty and develop that into a one-two page article.

As to what format.. hard question. The most important aspect of the format would be that it be interactive. Listening on the phone, or watching a video can get pretty boring and people just tune out. If it's something I'm making time for, I need to feel like I'm coming out with something, and that the whole time there's the opportunity to connect with you and other participants to ask questions, comment, offer feedback.

I would be very interested in such a workshop. Obviously, once you have the final product, I'd evaluate if it's practical for me & is something I can gain from.. but it is definitely something I'd look into.

Nice meeting you... Wave
Best regards to the Reich family Very Happy

InnerMe

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 12:09 pm
seeker wrote:
What would I like in a writing workshop?

1. Economy and/or a free sample class. Frankly I'm just not willing to invest significant fees in a workshop that I can't even predict will be worthwhile. I see numerous writing workshops advertised and I'm just not convinced they're all they're cracked up to be.

2. I think it would be more helpful to focus on writing craft rather than specifying fiction/non-fiction/memoir. I would love to see a workshop about how to develop your thoughts and ideas into stories, in a way that the skill could be applied to whichever type of story you want to write now or in the future.

3. Definitely video better than phone. Too much gets lost in phone teleconferences and for a writing workshop especially you want a more personal rapport. Every other week sounds about right - a month would be too far apart to keep up momentum, but every week doesn't give enough time to work on projects and also might be too hard to commit that often.

I'd be very interested in theory, but in practice it is really hard for me to dedicate time to something like this. Like, maybe when I retire... Confused

Great post Seeker!
I agree with 1 & 2. I'd want you to show me what you are offering, and then make an informed decision. And 2, yes, yes, yes!! Teaching craft, versus specific models.

Chocomama

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 12:23 pm
For me, I would want to see a syllabus outlining a complete workshop curriculum before committing to something that will cost me both time and money. I would want to see that you have a fully developed idea of what you want to impart, how much time you plan to spend on each segment, clear organizational flow of beginning and end goals, etc.

kneidel

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 1:10 pm
Yes. Yes. Yes.
In particular I would be interested in developing these areas:
Creating a complex and compelling protagonist that stands up to close analysis
Character growth as well as the more difficult character decline
Loosen up writing style so that it is more intriguing and more fun (less dull and less heavy Smile )
Throwing confetti at a piece to add drama, suspense and excitement
The logistics would also have to be worked out to make distance learning and flexible timing possible.

baltomom

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 1:20 pm
I would love something like this! Probably a video format would be best, with the ability for participants to view whenever it works for them, and assignments in between, which can be posted on some type of board for critique by you and other participants. I think weekly classes would be too much, but I'm not sure if biweekly or monthly is better, in terms of allowing time to work on assignments but not procrastinate too much!

singleagain

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 1:55 pm
I wonder if you can't cycle through the various writing formats, (with different payment) so someone who is interested in fiction but not memior can get what they want and not feel like they are wasting money. Perhaps even, a discount for up to three cycles, another one for up to five, another for enrolling in all.

Also, I know for myself I do better visually, but could it be interactive... Such as a group video chat at certain times, and have it recorded for those who can't make it. Or perhaps some sort of message board where we could talk and comment on the assignments. But like... One assignment per thread and all following posts are comments on that first post.

mommy2379

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 3:17 pm
write on wrote:

and even real $$$ writing contests which are very rare in the frum world today.

This ^^ Very Happy

write on

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 4:55 pm
Wow! Thanks for all these great responses. I am taking copious notes and you've all given me so much valuable feedback.

Definitely a variety of classes so we can have different strokes for different folks.

Yes to teaching aspiring writers as well as seasoned or at least on-their-way writers, as well as therapeutic journaling.

For sure a syllabus and a clear look at what you get before you pay for it--and I will do my very best to keep the price affordable, be"H.

Sounds like video, interactive, bite-sized, practical, and very doable is what you're looking for, which is actually what I've intended to do when the time is write, er, I mean right. Rolling Eyes (Ugh, these writers--they think they're so funny!! Tongue Out )

Def insider tips on getting published, setting rates, building confidence, how to handle rejection, etc.

And yeah, love the $$$ prizes :-). Why do you think I'm motivated to do these contests? Trying to make up for what I've been missing out on all these years Wink

Hey, thanks, InnerMe--I'll pass on the regards when it's appropriate. The family needs a little space right now. It's been challenging living in the public eye, you know. ;-)

Keep up the great ideas and if you're interested in hearing about this cool project when it goes live, be"H, send me an email at rivapom at gmail and I'll keep you posted.

crust

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 5:15 pm
Hey hey just a minute!
We don't give suggestions for free. Don't make us all email riva pom
Come back to post here when it takes off! Ok? Wink

Thanks! Smile

InnerMe

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 5:31 pm
crust wrote:
Hey hey just a minute!
We don't give suggestions for free. Don't make us all email riva pom
Come back to post here when it takes off! Ok? Wink

Thanks! Smile

Crust, you just made me laugh LOL
And Riva while we're at it... a special promo for Imamothers!

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 09 2018, 6:28 pm
kneidel wrote:
Yes. Yes. Yes.
In particular I would be interested in developing these areas:
Creating a complex and compelling protagonist that stands up to close analysis
Character growth as well as the more difficult character decline
Loosen up writing style so that it is more intriguing and more fun (less dull and less heavy Smile )
Throwing confetti at a piece to add drama, suspense and excitement
The logistics would also have to be worked out to make distance learning and flexible timing possible.

Great points. Things like this is what I meant by craft techniques that would benefit narrative writing regardless of content (fiction, nonfic, memoir)

write on

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 1:43 am
Okay, okay, just trying to respect the no-advertising rules here, but yes, of course I'll let you know and offer something special for my lab rats test group at Imamother! :-)

BTW, seeker and knaidel, the only real way to teach the techniques that you are asking for--which are essential to compelling writing--is by doing hands-on demonstrations, taking an "okay" piece and changing it in real-time to become superb. That is REALLY fun to do and of course something I plan for the workshops.

I also have a really cool technique that I've developd and am excited to teach--I demonstrated it in London when I gave a writing series there. It's a super fun tool that trains in creating knockout, natural dialogue, which is actually the foundation for creating real characters. And great, believable characters are probably the #1 determination of whether your story will be successful or not. Characters almost always trump all else, even plot, in all writing, and not just fiction. How's that for an insider tip! LOL

crust

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:05 am
write on wrote:
Okay, okay, just trying to respect the no-advertising rules here, but yes, of course I'll let you know and offer something special for my lab rats test group at Imamother! :-)

BTW, seeker and knaidel, the only real way to teach the techniques that you are asking for--which are essential to compelling writing--is by doing hands-on demonstrations, taking an "okay" piece and changing it in real-time to become superb. That is REALLY fun to do and of course something I plan for the workshops.

I also have a really cool technique that I've developd and am excited to teach--I demonstrated it in London when I gave a writing series there. It's a super fun tool that trains in creating knockout, natural dialogue, which is actually the foundation for creating real characters. And great, believable characters are probably the #1 determination of whether your story will be successful or not. Characters almost always trump all else, even plot, in all writing, and not just fiction. How's that for an insider tip! LOL

Will you really do hands on? I thought that was too much to ask for!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics