Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Writing Workshops--What would YOU like to see?
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 4:45 am
write on wrote:

BTW, seeker and knaidel, the only real way to teach the techniques that you are asking for--which are essential to compelling writing--is by doing hands-on demonstrations, taking an "okay" piece and changing it in real-time to become superb.

What about how to even get to that okay piece in the first place? What about those of us who have half-formed ideas floating around in our heads that would love to be given form and direction?

InnerMe

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:05 am
write on wrote:
Okay, okay, just trying to respect the no-advertising rules here, but yes, of course I'll let you know and offer something special for my lab rats test group at Imamother! :-)

BTW, seeker and knaidel, the only real way to teach the techniques that you are asking for--which are essential to compelling writing--is by doing hands-on demonstrations, taking an "okay" piece and changing it in real-time to become superb. That is REALLY fun to do and of course something I plan for the workshops.

I also have a really cool technique that I've developd and am excited to teach--I demonstrated it in London when I gave a writing series there. It's a super fun tool that trains in creating knockout, natural dialogue, which is actually the foundation for creating real characters. And great, believable characters are probably the #1 determination of whether your story will be successful or not. Characters almost always trump all else, even plot, in all writing, and not just fiction. How's that for an insider tip! LOL

Ok, Riva.
Sounds exciting.
I like the idea of doing hands on. Perhaps you can have participants come in with a piece and than through sharing and holding it up.. turn it into something spectacular.

And that was a great not an insider tip! You've allowed yourself into a hard nut group, we aint get appeased so easily Wink

About interactive- I was thinking that there are platforms that participants can message in on while the webinar is on and all participants have a side panel in which it shows up.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:06 am
Double post

Last edited by InnerMe on Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

InnerMe

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 6:07 am
seeker wrote:
What about how to even get to that okay piece in the first place? What about those of us who have half-formed ideas floating around in our heads that would love to be given form and direction?

Yes, yes, yes!!
See, seeker you already to a better job of putting those half-formed ideas in writing :wink

write on

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:03 am
If you've ever met me you know that I'm not about dry and boring; I'm fun, I'm interactive, I'd even like to think that I'm entertaining ;-). Oh, and humble. But seriously, of course the courses will be hands-on to the best that technology offers. I find that learning through doing is the best kind of learning. I'm not about teaching theory. You can read the Elements of Style, which I highly recommend, btw. I'm talking about the subtleties of writing--seeing it come alive by changing just a few words or refurbishing it with a new opening sentence.

Sheesh, InnerMe. You are SCARING me!! Wink

About taking things from the very beginning and unleashing your hidden writer, Seeker, yes. I will try to create something for you, too, b'ezras Hashem. It is a very beautiful thing to find your voice.

kneidel

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:29 am
Riva, genuinely wondering about your opinion on this - can good writing be taught or is it talent?
From my own experience, teaching lower high school (some years ago) I noticed that whilst I could teach about literary techniques such as extended metaphors etc. only those with some innate talent could actually utilise these tools properly; for others their work had a stilted feel that I found almost impossible to eradicate.
Similarly with character building, I found a certain level of intuition was necessary in order to create credible characters. I believe we all write (and think!) through the lens of our own personal history and viewpoints and subsequently a more developed and rounded character will make for better writing.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:32 am
Do you think creativity is a learned art, or a natural talent one either has or doesn't have?
I can write descriptively, I can write an opinion piece, I can edit other people's work, but I cannot for the life of me come up with a story of my own. It's very hard for me to think of WHAT to write, although I certainly know HOW to write.

write on

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:27 am
So this is a very interesting question and the funny thing is that when I described to my kids what I'd like to do with my writing workshops, my 10-year-old piped up, "But Mommy, you need to be talented to write well!" These precocious kids! :-)

However, I beg to differ. Yes, not everyone can be the next sensation, but there is always room for improvement, at any age and at every stage. Not everyone who takes a sculpting class is going to be a da Vinci, but they can definitely learn techniques and improve their craft. I've always believed in the power of the human spirit to grow and expand and improve, and even if someone goes from being a complete "non-writer" to being a "subaverage writer", that's a real feather in her cap.

allthingsblue, what you describe is something different. Funnily enough, I feel like I have the same problem. Even though I'm publishing my eleventh novel for Sukkos, be"H, I don't feel that my strong point is coming up with ideas on a dime! Yet there are methods I use to cull good, viable ideas which I can then turn into beautiful pieces of writing. As you already have the tools to produce good work, for you it's a matter of sparking the creativity. I would bet that the creativity is definitely there and it just needs to be accessed. I will be addressing that in my workshops as well. It can also be a confidence thing. We need to believe that we are savvy and competent enough to come up with great storylines. And this from a girl whose creative mind is inhabited by a highly-developed Peanut Gallery that loves to shoot down ideas by the dozens! :-)

kneidel

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 5:41 am
Thanks Riva for taking the time to respond. I guess there's some level of latent talent in each one of us and I for one would be thrilled to learn the nuances of language (word choice / word structure etc) as well as the impact of different techniques, from your experience as a writer.
Incidentally, I think it must be harder to turn a 'boring writer' into a sensational one than to teach WHAT to write to one who writes well, which is why I imagine allthingsblue will do smashingly with a good writing course. (Is writer's block a real thing?) My own daughter, whilst still young, writes with oomph and verve, I can only marvel at (and wish I could replicate). But then again, as mentioned in my previous post, this reflects her fun-loving, charming yet overly-mature character.

imamazing

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:18 am
Hi Reva,
I have been a high school writing teacher for 15 years now.
Bouncing off of what other posters wrote , I would love to see a workshop geared to high school writing teachers to help them develop a comprehensive writing curriculum.
Like many schools, my school does not have the funds to properly develop an across-the-board curriculum. I am confident with what I am teaching, but I would love to explore new styles and techniques. I also would like to be able to help those that are talented further develop their style , and I would love to help those dreading it find their own voice and style and be able to enjoy the writing process .
I know there are many books out there, but many of the writing topics etc. are difficult to teach in a frum classroom. I don't think so that we should be compromising on our students education by just giving assignments without allowing the students to explore different styles, techniques and modalities.

I have seen many a new teacher come in and just throw random assignments of girls as a "writing curriculum " rather than teaching style and technique and exploration of creativity. I think a solid curriculum course would appeal to many not-yet-experienced and experienced teachers.

write on

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:55 am
imamazing, you are so right. I've gotten quite a few calls from English teachers here in Israel begging me to use some of my stories for their classes because there are such narrow criteria--and understandably so!--for what can be used. Even some of my pieces have been nixed by Bais Yaakov censors! :-) embarrassed

In terms of curriculum, have you ever looked into Mosdos Press? I used to work for them a long time ago and their books are very high quality and well done. They actually sell to a lot of religious non-Jewish schools who are also sensitive to some of the same things as our communities. That can be a good starting point.

One of my goals is to create a teen writing workshop that teens can do on their own time and really feel challenged in their writing. I wish I had that as a teenager ;-)...

Any more input, Imamothers? I'm really doing this thing, be"H!

If you want more info you can find it at www.rivapomerantz.com.

write on

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 8:55 am
One more thing: I'd like to do a workshop for teen girls. If you have a teen daughter who's into writing, I'd really appreciate if you could give me feedback from both you and her about:

1. Would you let your daughter take an online class?
2. If so, what type of writing would your daughter like to take in an online workshop? Poetry? Fiction? Memoir writing?

Thanks! :-)

imamazing

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 9:59 am
write on wrote:
imamazing, you are so right. I've gotten quite a few calls from English teachers here in Israel begging me to use some of my stories for their classes because there are such narrow criteria--and understandably so!--for what can be used. Even some of my pieces have been nixed by Bais Yaakov censors! :-) embarrassed

In terms of curriculum, have you ever looked into Mosdos Press? I used to work for them a long time ago and their books are very high quality and well done. They actually sell to a lot of religious non-Jewish schools who are also sensitive to some of the same things as our communities. That can be a good starting point.

One of my goals is to create a teen writing workshop that teens can do on their own time and really feel challenged in their writing. I wish I had that as a teenager ;-)...

Any more input, Imamothers? I'm really doing this thing, be"H!

If you want more info you can find it at www.rivapomerantz.com.

Thanks,
I have a curriculum , a very carefully crafted curriculum with 16 years of research behind it!

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I feel that there is a need to develop a writing curriculum for writing ( not literature) teachers. Many nice young girls take the job and just give assignments without really teaching any writing! I would love to see a curriculum that I works for high school writing teachers and that runs from to ninth through 12th grade That focuses on writing development and allows both creative and non creative writers to expand their skill set and talents .

Riva, I think thought you would be Just the right person to develop a course for writing teachers so that they can develop their curriculum according to that. Or, just a course for writing teachers in general to give them ideas to expand their horizons and by extension their students' horizons in different forms, styles, and techniques of writing.

Writing in many schools has become a side subject that isn't developed passed the essay format.

Just my two cents...

write on

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:50 am
Ah--I think I get it now. You mean a curriculum of some sort that would help teachers give over the CRAFT of writing instead of simply teaching the technical aspects of pronouns and alliteration.

Yes. Good point. Actually, that's exactly what I intend to do in my courses. So maybe my Academy can be used to train teachers or we can just hook up all schools to my workshops and give the teachers a break! :-)

Seriously speaking, though, I am going to say something here that might be a little edgy but I believe it's true: Not everyone is cut out to teach the art of writing. And a school curriculum isn't even necessarily the place to do it, if you think about it. Creativity is not always encouraged in schools, and it would be worse to crush the nascent tendrils of talent early-on than just neglecting to adequately water and sun them. Or am I speaking from my own traumatic school experience? Rolling Eyes

ssspectacular

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 4:29 am
Agree with you,reva, that school is not the place for this program. Many schools focus on essays and nonfiction writing. A special program for talented teens is what is needed

ssspectacular

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:48 am
Would love to hear about any workshops that will be happening....
Keep us posted, Reva.

InnerMe

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:55 am
Hey thanks for bumping this! Riva- I went on your website awhile ago, and signed up to hear the updates... but didn't get anything so far. Is something happening yet with your writing academy?

InnerMe

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:17 am
Uh Riva- you here?
Hello Riva, somebody's calling your name.. Music

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 10:14 am
I believe that someone's playing her game as well.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:40 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Uh Riva- you here?
Hello Riva, somebody's calling your name.. Music

She's hiding out writing a new bestseller.
actually, I think she went to help Shiffy with the new baby as her mom is busy dating.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics