Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Baking cookies in Israel

achayl

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:43 am
Strange question ... is margarine in Israel different?

I used to bake the best cookies, now that we've move they never come out nice looking.
They are either flat like melted pancakes or keep the shape of the cookie scooper even after baked.

Any suggestions?

hila

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:54 am
Having heard how bad it is for you I no longer use marg, I use oil.
However I know that the "machmaa" brand is the best for baking. Foil wrapped, gold with read and yellow on the package.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:03 am
OP, I recommend Mazola margarine for baking, IMO better taste than 'machmaa' which has a butter artificial taste that I hate.
Also, guess you didn't bring your oven from the US. If so, your oven termostat might be faulty. Do you have a brand new oven or an old used one?
I don't know what kind of flour you used to have but many times it's a matter of too much or too little. Too little flour gives a cookie like melted pancakes and too much flour and they will stay in the shape of the cookie scooper.
It's a good suggestion that you bake a test cookie in the oven before doing the entire batch. That way you see if you need more flour or fat.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:06 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, I recommend Mazola margarine for baking, IMO better taste than 'machmaa' which has a butter artificial taste that I hate.
Also, guess you didn't bring your oven from the US. If so, your oven termostat might be faulty. Do you have a brand new oven or an old used one?
I don't know what kind of flour you used to have but many times it's a matter of too much or too little. Too little flour gives a cookie like melted pancakes and too much flour and they will stay in the shape of the cookie scooper.
It's a good suggestion that you bake a test cookie in the oven before doing the entire batch. That way you see if you need more flour or fat.

I agree- Machma'a is vile tasting.
Also agree that flour is a factor as well as the margarine. Try adjusting amounts and make sure you are using the right type. I usually use all purpose flour for cookies but some people swear by bread flour to give them more 'chew'.
Sugar is another factor - both white and brown are coarser here than in the States. Brown sugar is actually a different texture altogether.
Eggs might also be a different size than the kind you used in the States.
Might also be worth refrigerating the batter before baking to prevent spreading.
In short - you'll have to experiment Smile

Teomima

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 8:08 am
I don't use margarine. I mix the sugar and eggs in the mixer on high then slowly add the oil (as much oil as butter/margarine baked for in the recipe) so it emulsifies. Cookies have body, don't come out greasy at all, and its much better for you than margarine.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 10:32 am
etky wrote:
I agree- Machma'a is vile tasting.
Also agree that flour is a factor as well as the margarine. Try adjusting amounts and make sure you are using the right type. I usually use all purpose flour for cookies but some people swear by bread flour to give them more 'chew'.
Sugar is another factor - both white and brown are coarser here than in the States. Brown sugar is actually a different texture altogether.
Eggs might also be a different size than the kind you used in the States.
Might also be worth refrigerating the batter before baking to prevent spreading.
In short - you'll have to experiment Smile

Oh, the egg size! How could I forget! Confused It's definitely important!
OP, see below what I found about egg size in Israel - you might want to check on the web american egg sizes and compare.
A professional recipe for cookies in Israel, the egg size should be medium. This I learned in cooking school.

http://lovetocook.co.il/%D7%9B.....7%94/

https://www.maimons.co.il/inde.....id=31

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:11 pm
Teomima wrote:
I don't use margarine. I mix the sugar and eggs in the mixer on high then slowly add the oil (as much oil as butter/margarine baked for in the recipe) so it emulsifies. Cookies have body, don't come out greasy at all, and its much better for you than margarine.

That’s what I do.
Generally equal oil to margarine, but add some flour.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:26 pm
I only bake with oil. 3/4 cup of oil when the recipe calls for 1 cup of margarine. In my experience ( I bake a lot) size of eggs and texture of sugars makes no difference. I use regular American recipes and my cookies are yummy

cheeseaddict

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:17 pm
I second the 3/4c oil to 1c margarine.
And from experience, I would also play around with temperatures.
My oven is definitely off by a few degrees.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:30 pm
I also only use oil in pareve baking. I never baked in the us so can't compare but the cookies seem fine.
I just recently saw ads for a new product you might want to try a coconut oil based margarine I think produced by shimrit- the yeast brand.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 5:36 pm
If you want great choc chip cookie, fudge (crinkle) cookie, and sprinkle cookie recipes made with oil, let me know.

bargainlover

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 7:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you want great choc chip cookie, fudge (crinkle) cookie, and sprinkle cookie recipes made with oil, let me know.

I'd love the sprinkle cookies made with oil recipe please

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 9:04 pm
bargainlover wrote:
I'd love the sprinkle cookies made with oil recipe please

It's the last recipe.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....21011

bargainlover

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 9:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's the last recipe.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....21011

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins