Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The Cheder, Anyone in Brooklyn sends?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:16 pm
We are considering this school for our son. Getting in wont be easy. Want to know if it's worth to push our way in.
How are the teachers? Rebeim? Administrative staff?
How is the preschool curriculum? Do the little kids (age 3 to 7) come home with crafts?
How would you describe the crowd? Yeshivish? Flatbushy? What cheder would you compare the clientele to?
What's the tuition range?
Thank you!

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Apr 10 2018, 11:47 pm
The crowd in the Cheder is probably the most similar to the mir and Chaim berlin. I don’t send there so I can’t answer any other of your questions

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:05 am
I send my son there. I am very happy. He loves to go to yeshiva. The morahs are very warm. He comes home with tons of projects. They make everything so exciting that he is scared to miss anything. The crowd is more to the Yeshivish side. The tuition is comparable to the flatbush yeshivas.

naomi2

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:47 am
It's on the more yeshivish end of Brooklyn yeshivas. Maybe even the most yeshivish.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 8:19 am
Definitely not the most Yeshivish! Tiferes Elimelech and Yeshiva ketana of Bensonhurst are more Yeshivish. The Cheder has many Yeshivish families but a nice amount of not so Yeshivish.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:50 pm
We send there and are quite happy with the school. It's a pretty yeshivish crowd (certainly more than Chaim Berlin), so while I'm not surprised that there are some other families on here, I wouldn't expect there to be a ton. Tuition is comparable to other Brooklyn yeshivos. The administration is excellent; Rabbi Gutfreund (the Menahel) runs a very professional operation. The Rebbeim are also hand-selected and well-compensated and work very hard. Getting in is the hardest part.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 8:27 pm
I wouldn’t say it’s comparable to Mir at all. Mir is much more diverse while the Cheder is primarily Yeshivish with a mix of some non Yeshivish sprinkled in .

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 8:32 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s comparable to Mir at all. Mir is much more diverse while the Cheder is primarily Yeshivish with a mix of some non Yeshivish sprinkled in .

I agree with this observation. I have very yeshivish relatives and some "heimish" acquaintances that send there. They're all very happy there.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:03 pm
Just want to point out that it's really not that difficult to get in to the Cheder anymore. There isn't such a big demand for yeshivish schools in Flatbush anymore, as most couples move to Lakewood (and the yeshivish families that are associated with Chaim Berlin send there). We had no problem getting in to the Cheder, and everyone I know that applied got in easily without having to push at all.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:23 pm
it's not only because crowds are moving out- not all hype stays hype and many parents pull out of the cheder for various reasons

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
Just want to point out that it's really not that difficult to get in to the Cheder anymore. There isn't such a big demand for yeshivish schools in Flatbush anymore, as most couples move to Lakewood (and the yeshivish families that are associated with Chaim Berlin send there). We had no problem getting in to the Cheder, and everyone I know that applied got in easily without having to push at all.

How long ago did you apply? I heard it is very hard to get in . Maybe you and your friends are exactly the type of people that the cheder accepts/wants so you had no problem getting in.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
it's not only because crowds are moving out- not all hype stays hype and many parents pull out of the cheder for various reasons

Are you saying a lot of parents are pulling out recently ? And do you know why?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:09 am
The rebbeim are wonderful but if you have any concerns over your son's progress there is noone beyond that rebbe to help you. Rabbi Gutfruend is a wonderful person but isn't a 'mumcha'. I know very many ppl who have an issue with this. If you never have concerns you'll be fine. Most ppl at some point do and get frusterated by the lack of help. In general they prefer to shift blame and sweep under the rug. Again not because they are out to get you but simply lack of ability. And yes I know several families have switched. It's a great yeshiva but has to work for you

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:14 am
My cousin send her son there and he has 28 kids in his nursery class and there’s two classes . So it doesn’t exactly sound like their losing kids.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:38 am

bumpkin2

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Are you saying a lot of parents are pulling out recently ? And do you know why?

When we were looking into to the Cheder this year we found that the primary reasons people pull out is because they are moving out of town, out of Brooklyn (like to Staten Island or far enough that it would be a shlep every day), and that families can't afford tuition with growing families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics