Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why are Lingerie Shop clothes so expensive?
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:03 am
$64 for a shirt? Is the clothing very good quality to justify those prices?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:33 am
Don’t know about the quality but most clothes made by Frum companies are very expensive. It’s called taking advantage

gande

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:57 am
The quality is usually very good and their clothing is practical and comfortable You can expect the tops to last a couple of years.
They have many expenses, rent, designers, salespeople, cover for excess and damaged inventory plus they need to make enough to cover a Jewish lifestyle.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:04 am
amother wrote:
Don’t know about the quality but most clothes made by Frum companies are very expensive. It’s called taking advantage

It's called "don't have economies of scale because target market is so small" and "I need this to be profitable or I won't be able to sell it at all" and "there are a lot of others in the chain of supply that feel the same".

If you're making 1 million widgets, you can make them for 10 cents a piece. If you're only making 500, they're gonna cost you $2 or more a piece. That's how things work, really.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:05 am
IMO lingerie is one of the best things to buy from Amazon as opposed to a good quality store. You're not working in it, running in it, eating in it... just get something pretty. You can find many decent items for $10-15.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:22 am
Why do frum lingerie shops sell shirts (as opposed to... lingerie)?

Or is "Lingerie Shop" the name of a store that sells all sorts of frum clothing?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:42 am
The Lingerie Shop sells everything- mainly lingerie, nightgowns, and Shabbos robes, but also all kinds of tops and skirts, from casual housetops to nice sweaters. They have a really nice selection.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:51 am
amother wrote:
It's called "don't have economies of scale because target market is so small" and "I need this to be profitable or I won't be able to sell it at all" and "there are a lot of others in the chain of supply that feel the same".

If you're making 1 million widgets, you can make them for 10 cents a piece. If you're only making 500, they're gonna cost you $2 or more a piece. That's how things work, really.

You're right, but why go into a business where you have to charge more than your competitors for a similar or inferior product? You have to offer something special to justify higher prices. I suppose some shoppers are willing to pay a premium for the heimish shopping experience.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:09 am
It's not just the shopping experience, it's the curated selection of tznius clothing. And giving parnasa to a fellow Jew, which is halachically preferable.

Additionally, many of these stores do not see themselves in competition with Walmart and H&M, but with higher end stores which charge similar prices.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:36 am
amother wrote:
You're right, but why go into a business where you have to charge more than your competitors for a similar or inferior product? You have to offer something special to justify higher prices. I suppose some shoppers are willing to pay a premium for the heimish shopping experience.

Not your cheshbon to worry about how they justify it. If you dont like it. Go shop in Walmart. Everyone is looking to make a buck. It is what it is

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 6:53 am
Why they're so expensive? Because they can be. Because people buy it anyway. You don't have to make your purchases there. I don't. No need to concern yourself with others prices.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:02 am
amother wrote:

You go into a business that you think can be made profitable.

if you need to charge more than your competitors, and you don't offer something that they don't, you're not going end up with a profitable business. That's how a free market works.

The question is - what happens where there are no competitors? Or there is price collusion among competitors?

pause

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:02 am
It's called "mikva gelt", the money you pay for a Jewish product, for shopping in an exclusively Jewish store (no ugly ads or crazy music), for having jewish salesladies help you (or not), for knowing that all the clothing in this store is (supposedly) tznius'dig, and for the location of the store - being able to shop without needing someone to drive you there.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:24 am
amother wrote:

You're paying for the ability to look through racks where every single shirt and robe has a high neckline and long sleeves. That's a nice convenience.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:30 am
I love to shope at the lingerie shop, or in similar stores. They have nice, trendy tops that are a one piece. Meaning you don't need a shell underneath the neck is good as is the sleeve length. Especially in the summer I need a one piece that doesn't need anything under it.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:39 pm
pause wrote:
It's called "mikva gelt", the money you pay for a Jewish product, for shopping in an exclusively Jewish store (no ugly ads or crazy music), for having jewish salesladies help you (or not), for knowing that all the clothing in this store is (supposedly) tznius'dig, and for the location of the store - being able to shop without needing someone to drive you there.

What’s it got to do with the Mikva?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
The question is - what happens where there are no competitors? Or there is price collusion among competitors?

Why do you say this? There's plenty of competition - Walmart and H&M were already mentioned, and there are thousands of others out there.

I do not believe that there is any price collusion even among frum stores. If you look through them, there is a nice range of prices. But it's never going to be cheap to sell such a small quantity.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
Why do you say this? There's plenty of competition - Walmart and H&M were already mentioned, and there are thousands of others out there.

I do not believe that there is any price collusion even among frum stores. If you look through them, there is a nice range of prices. But it's never going to be cheap to sell such a small quantity.

I asked a couple questions, I didn't make a statement.

However - Walmart may not be a competitor if the person who does the shopping can't easily access it (and it doesn't sell high end).

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:12 pm
The internet has leveled the playing field here. For the same $64, order shirts in 3 different sizes and try them on at your leisure, returning the ones that don't fit.

If you believe that the frum stores are selling high end, what's the problem? $64 is an excellent price.

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:17 pm
I've generally found that the answer to "why" is often "because they can".

Why are they charging so much money? Because they can. People are buying their stuff. If people stopped shopping there, they would have more sales or lower prices.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics