Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
TIME SENSITIVE - baby won't stop crying

LO

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:40 am
I sent my 7 month old baby to the babysitter for the first time today, and he is crying for almost 2 hours already.....I am going nuts! The babysitter says she is trying everything but he won't calm down no matter what. The babysitter is very highly recommended, most of my neighbors have sent to her and were ecstatic, and I see she is really trying....

When this baby was younger, I hired a babysitter at home and the baby screamed for a few weeks...I was in the house and heard that she wasnt' mistreating him, but still he kept crying. Then, I hired my friend's mother and he immediately went to her, no crying at all. She unfortunately had to go back to Russia, which is why I am sending him out now...

What do I do? Should I pick him up? Did any of you have babies that cried for so long?

HELP!!!! Crying

anonymrs

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:52 am
I would pick up if it was my baby. I don’t like when my babies cry for so long. I would prob continue to send every day for a short time, an hour or so, until baby gets used to it.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:16 pm
Is this his first time being away from you ?

LO

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:20 pm
He was away from me with the other babysitter, who was at my house. He didn't like the first one (we tried for a few weeks), but went perfectly fine to the second one.

Now, he seems to have fallen asleep but I assume will start screaming again when he wakes up. He is definitely prime age for stranger anxiety...

Did anyone go through this? How did you handle it? I am happy to pick him up early and do this gradually, if that would help....but I am wondering if may be it's better to stick it out...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:44 pm
It depends. I left and continue to leave my baby at daycare while I was at work. So if she were crying or having a tough time I wasn't really able to leave or modify her schedule. But if you're not at work it might be something to consider

LO

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:54 pm
I am at work, but I work for my husband, so I can leave temporarily to help him adjust, but in the long run I DO have to work....I am just not sure if stretching out the torture by bringing him for short periods each day will help, that's why I would love to hear from someone who went through it, to see what worked for them.

LovetoLive

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:55 pm
If it was me, I would pick him up.
I would also stay with him for a while every morning at drop off and only leave when I felt the baby was comfortable with the new caregiver.
the transition time of the drop off every day might be half an hour or more at first and gradually lessen.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:04 pm
He’s probably also hungry or he will be when he wakes up. If he wakes up and won’t eat you should pick him up
And try again tomorrow... it will probably work out eventually

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:19 pm
My DD (now almost 17) went thru 3 babysitters because she cried alot....now my nephew, who at 8 months reminds me alot of this DD (he looks like my sister whom DD resembles in many ways, and I think he's taking after both of them in personality type) is giving sis alot of grief at the babysitter. OTOH he's at my house most days after the babysitter, and is perfectly happy - a little angel. He knows us, so it's like a second home to him. There are some kids who simply like being home, and they will kvetch at the babysitter.

For the most part, though, crying the first day at the babysitter is pretty normal for a 7 month old. He's old enough to recognize those familiar to him, and be afraid of a stranger. He will have to adjust, and it should get better within a few days. Assuming his needs for food, diaper changing, and attention are being met adequately, just give him some time. Hopefully it's more of a phase.

LO

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:40 pm
should I bring him after his nap? or come and out him to sleep there myself?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:47 pm
How far is the sitter from your work? Wait until he wakes up and see if how he is then.

I would start with short intervals every day for the first week- like 2-3 hours and slowly increase it until he adjusts to the sitter.

LO

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:49 pm
OK, will try...Sad So frustrating, I really hate for him to cry so much....Thanks, everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics