Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
So Much Dust Everywhere!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:15 pm
I recently moved into a new apartment and I'm having some dust trouble. No matter how many times I vacuum and sweep, the dust piles on. I'm not talking about a microscopic dust, or even a fine layer, I'm talking about dust that piles thick, that when I'm sweeping the kitchen there's big chunks of dust. I am by no stretch a neat freak. But I'm getting fed up with these piles and piles that magically appear over the course of one day. I have not had this issue in my old home.

Any ideas how I can solve my dust problem? Anything I could do to decrease dust?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:19 pm
Are you using microfiber cloths? I find they make a huge difference. If you use them damp, they work even better. It really traps the particles. You'll be shocked at how fast they get dirty!

rgr

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 12:39 pm
If its new constriction its normal to have alot of dust for a few weeks. Even after you clean perfectly more dust settles.

Keep at it

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:42 pm
rgr wrote:
If its new constriction its normal to have alot of dust for a few weeks. Even after you clean perfectly more dust settles.

Keep at it

Things is that it's already a couple months...and I am At wits end

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Things is that it's already a couple months...and I am At wits end

It can take a few months after a new construction.
Also, I don't know where you live but I have found that I had more dust and spiderwebs in neighborhoods that more trees.

lakewooder

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:59 pm
it could also be that the ducts need cleaning. Had this in a previous apartment - always huge amounts of dust. Eventually they had the ducts cleaned.

enneamom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:12 pm
Try an air purifier?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:39 pm
lakewooder wrote:
it could also be that the ducts need cleaning. Had this in a previous apartment - always huge amounts of dust. Eventually they had the ducts cleaned.

Interesting. Is it something only a professional would be able to do? Any way for me to clean the ducts?

lakewooder

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. Is it something only a professional would be able to do? Any way for me to clean the ducts?

you would need to hire a professional. Due to past experience we hired a company to clean the ducts when we purchased a home - company said that the ducts had probably 30+ years of buildup.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:17 pm
lakewooder wrote:
you would need to hire a professional. Due to past experience we hired a company to clean the ducts when we purchased a home - company said that the ducts had probably 30+ years of buildup.

From what we understood the OPs house is a new construction

das

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 8:30 pm
I had that and discovered my upstairs neighbors were doing (illegal) construction. Luckily the apt was a temporary one while we waited for our house to be finished but the amount of dust I swept up every day was insane.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:02 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
From what we understood the OPs house is a new construction

No its actually not. There was minor construction prior to our move..opening up one wall, closing up a room but this is not a new house.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
No its actually not. There was minor construction prior to our move..opening up one wall, closing up a room but this is not a new house.

So then that poster may be right. Maybe the construction dust added to the dust in the vents and they need to be cleaned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics