Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Did your baby have a hernia?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 10:54 pm
How long did you wait to operate on it?
Anything I need to know until we see the doctor?

Seems like my baby has a hernia. I emailed a pic to her surgeon (she had some other medical complications in the past) who agreed that it looks like a hernia, but said we can wait until she has surgery next (for her other issue).

happy12

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:05 pm
What type of hernia. Diaphragmatic, inguinal, or abdominal. Each one would be a different answer.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:10 pm
happy12 wrote:
What type of hernia. Diaphragmatic, inguinal, or abdominal. Each one would be a different answer.

We didn't see the doctor yet, so don't know. It's right above her belly button.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 11:25 pm
My son had an inguinal hernia and we operated as soon as we could because I wanted to get over with it. He was just over 2 months old. It was not an emergency because it was very big. The concern with a hernia is that the intestines will get stuck in the hole, but because it was so big there was no concern of that by us.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 1:40 am
My baby had an umbilical hernia that he outgrew by 18 months. It seems like your babies case is different though.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 2:14 am
Several kids BH, all born with small umbilical hernias! Drs were happy to see if they outgrew them, and only one needed a small procedure at the age of (I think) 7, because hers hadn't closed naturally.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:53 am
My brother was born with one called a hydro seal. He had surgery at age two and was running around that same day. But that was 30 yrs ago . Things are more advanced nowadays and they probably operate on even younger than that.

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 10:34 am
We waited until DD was 6. it was small and not an urgent concern, just an issue that could develop into more of a problem as she grew and b'ezrat Hashem much later when pregnant.
The other kids having outpatient hernia repair that day were all babies, probably none older than 1.5

heidi

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 11:40 am
My baby had an abdominal double hernia. He was operated on at 6 weeks of age, the minute they felt it was safe to anestatize him (forgive the spelling neither spell check nor my brain is working right now)

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 11:40 am
My preemie had an inguinal hernia. We waited until he was 10 lbs (5 mos for him!) Since he would need anaesthesia.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 12:47 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My brother was born with one called a hydro seal. He had surgery at age two and was running around that same day. But that was 30 yrs ago . Things are more advanced nowadays and they probably operate on even younger than that.

A hydrocele is a type of inguinal hernia. My son had one that was never pointed out to us until we switched doctors. He had the surgery shortly after, around age 2. I don't know if they would have operated sooner or waited to see if it would resolve. It was a very quick recovery, he was really back to himself with no pain apparent once the anesthesia wore off completely.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 1:46 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
My preemie had an inguinal hernia. We waited until he was 10 lbs (5 mos for him!) Since he would need anaesthesia.

seems to me like this would be considered an abdominal hernia.
My daughter has had anesthesia twice when she was about 5-6 lbs. (between 1-2 wks old) and another 3 times in the next 6 months.
we will be seeing peds surgery next month and see what will happen. she is scheduled for another procedure with anesthesia next month, but that will be in a different hospital so not sure if we can coordinate to have it corrected there.

What I have to find out from the surgeon is if this can wait till september when we will possibly (hopefully!) be back for a procedure in the hospital she had her original 2 surgeries- where she practices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics