Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Kneidel/matza balls
1  2  Next

President

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 5:54 pm
I'm looking for a good recipe of matza balls. I don't like to spongy/soft. I like more dense but not rock hard. Anyone?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 6:16 pm
These are de-lish.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....35901
Even when they're fluffy, they're not spongy.
And you can leave the lid slightly adjar, use a regular size pot and cook for 30 min if you want them less fluffy.
Matzah balls become spongy when they are left in water. Cook them in salted water but drain before you store them in the fridge.

President

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 6:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
These are de-lish.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....35901
Even when they're fluffy, they're not spongy.
And you can leave the lid slightly adjar, use a regular size pot and cook for 30 min if you want them less fluffy.
Matzah balls become spongy when they are left in water. Cook them in salted water but drain before you store them in the fridge.

Thanks a lot. Do u know how many balls this yields?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 6:36 pm
President wrote:
Thanks a lot. Do u know how many balls this yields?

Make walnut size balls. They expand and actually become very big. Yield is about a dozen.

ally

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:16 pm
I just saw a recipe on smittenkitchen for “kneidalach” from chickpea flour that sounded really interesting

OutATowner

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:41 pm
Ra_mom, I made something similar or the same recipe on Pesach. They were so delicious! And yes, the get very big.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:43 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Ra_mom, I made something similar or the same recipe on Pesach. They were so delicious! And yes, the get very big.

Yes they are! We use the same recipe on pesach too. Classic matzah ball recipe and really yum.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:56 pm
I find most homemade are hard and brownish from the matza meal. I use the store mix- Lieber’s or any is fine. They always come out white and fluffy and are joke to make.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:37 pm
SuperWify, the recipe ra_mom posted was white and not in the least bit hard. And very forgiving, I left it in the pot and extra 10 minutes or so and they still came out great.
Recipe I used also said to add salt to the water. (water filled 3/4 of a 4 qt pot).

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 12 2018, 9:40 pm
OutATowner wrote:
SuperWify, the recipe ra_mom posted was white and not in the least bit hard. And very forgiving, I left it in the pot and extra 10 minutes or so and they still came out great.
Recipe I used also said to add salt to the water. (water filled 3/4 of a 4 qt pot).

So happy to hear! **Eats another store-mix matza ball** but I’m too lazy to start from scratch when I can whip this package of matza balls in less than five minutes....

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:53 am
1 cup matza meal
1/2 cup water or seltzer
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 t salt

Let sit for at least 20 minutes before forming.
Add more matza meal for denser balls.

etky

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 4:51 am
Iymnok wrote:

1 cup matza meal
1/2 cup water or seltzer
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 t salt

So this is my go-to recipe that I made on Pesach this year as well. They usually come out great - just dense enough but not too hard. I use the seltzer and I think that makes them slightly fluffier than with plain water. I also boil them in salted water.
Unfortunately they were too soft this year and some fell apart.
I kind of had a feeling when I was making them that the mixture was too loose and that I should add more matzo meal but I decided not to. That was a mistake. I think it was because the eggs that I used for Pesach this year were really large. It threw the ratio of liquid to matzo meal off.
But honestly, since I discovered this recipe I've stopped using the mix. This is almost just as easy and the results are usually much better than the mix.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 6:02 am
My mother adds nutmeg. Dh doesn’t like it...

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 12:05 am
Iymnok wrote:
1 cup matza meal
1/2 cup water or seltzer
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 t salt

You sure its 1/2 cups water and oil, not 1/4 cups?

fiji

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 5:54 am
Iymnok wrote:
1 cup matza meal
1/2 cup water or seltzer
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 t salt

I never make matza balls. I had some leftover marza meal and stumbled across this post. I Know DH likes them as they are very nostalgic for him and these Looked easy enough. Made them and they came out perfect! DH was so so happy. Thank you for helping our shalom bayis!

anotherima

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 1:42 pm
I use this recipe from the original lubavitch cookbook.

Perfect Knaidlach

2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tablespoons of oil
2 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup matzah meal
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (I usually leave that out)

beat eggs with fork and add other ingredients except matzah meal and mix. add matzah meal gradually and stir. Place in the refrigerator for twenty minutes. in covered bowl. drop into bioling water to which one tablespoon of salt has been added. cook thirty minutes. four balls per 1/4 cup matzah meal, around.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 1:55 pm
anotherima wrote:
I use this recipe from the original lubavitch cookbook.

Perfect Knaidlach

2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tablespoons of oil
2 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup matzah meal
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (I usually leave that out)

beat eggs with fork and add other ingredients except matzah meal and mix. add matzah meal gradually and stir. Place in the refrigerator for twenty minutes. in covered bowl. drop into bioling water to which one tablespoon of salt has been added. cook thirty minutes. four balls per 1/4 cup matzah meal, around.

That's the recipe that 's on the side of the Manishewitz box (except they have you adding water after the matzo meal).

Its also the same one Ra Mom posted -- seltzer is just water, its not going to make a difference.

And yes, its the receipt I use, and my family loves them.

EmpireState

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 6:01 pm
ally wrote:
I just saw a recipe on smittenkitchen for “kneidalach” from chickpea flour that sounded really interesting

Would you mind posting a link to this? I'd love to try it. TIA

anotherima

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 9:02 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
That's the recipe that 's on the side of the Manishewitz box (except they have you adding water after the matzo meal).

Its also the same one Ra Mom posted -- seltzer is just water, its not going to make a difference.

And yes, its the receipt I use, and my family loves them.

Ra Mom's recipe has half the salt of the lubavitch cook book one.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 9:16 pm
anotherima wrote:
Ra Mom's recipe has half the salt of the lubavitch cook book one.

That has to be a mistake. My matzah balls are quite salty. Double check as I don't think anyone should be using 1 tsp table salt with 1/2 cup matzah meal.

I just looked up perfect kneidlach in the spice & spirit lubavitch cookbook and their recipe has the same measurements as the one I posted in the above link. Except they use ice cold water instead of seltzer and add 1/2 tsp pepper.

Perfect Kneidlach - Spice & Spirit

4 eggs, slightly beaten
4 tbsp oil
4 tbsp ice cold water
1 cup matzah meal
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

8 cups water + 1 tsp salt for liquid to cook the matzah balls in.

They're all the same. Streit's box has the same too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics