Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Spinoff: Laundry on another floor

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 9:04 am
I have my laundry room (more like an oversized closet) on the main floor. I’m constantly busy with the laundry up and down and up and down........ What baskets or hampers do you recommend shlepping the laundry in? I need something more durable than I currently have, but don’t want something too heavy. All amazing moms from the other thread: How do you do it?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 11:00 am
I also have my laundry room on my main floor, next to the kitchen, in a colonial where the bedrooms are upstairs. I actually like it this way. I have two rubbermaid hampers upstairs - one is black and one is white - and my family knows to put coloreds in the black hamper, whites in the white. I like these hampers because they are lightweight and practical.

(My 19 year old DD does her own laundry separately. She has a metal hamper that has a cloth insert. When her hamper is full, she removes the insert with her clothes inside - like a laundry bag - and brings it down to wash. You might like this option better....)

I take the hamper down with me, or have someone else bring it down, when it's full, and put in a load. I then put it next to the stairs to take up by whoever is going up. I love that I can put in a load, make supper, or breakfast, or whatever I'm up to..then process into the dryer when it's done. I fold laundry on couch in my family room (next to kitchen) and take upstairs in baskets, to distribute to everyone's rooms.

I also bought two drying racks on Amazon, that are set up in the laundry room for clothes that I hang vs. the dryer.

Don't know what you were looking for in terms of advice, but this is working quite well for me.

mommyla

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 12:00 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I also have my laundry room on my main floor, next to the kitchen, in a colonial where the bedrooms are upstairs. I actually like it this way. I have two rubbermaid hampers upstairs - one is black and one is white - and my family knows to put coloreds in the black hamper, whites in the white. I like these hampers because they are lightweight and practical.

(My 19 year old DD does her own laundry separately. She has a metal hamper that has a cloth insert. When her hamper is full, she removes the insert with her clothes inside - like a laundry bag - and brings it down to wash. You might like this option better....)

I take the hamper down with me, or have someone else bring it down, when it's full, and put in a load. I then put it next to the stairs to take up by whoever is going up. I love that I can put in a load, make supper, or breakfast, or whatever I'm up to..then process into the dryer when it's done. I fold laundry on couch in my family room (next to kitchen) and take upstairs in baskets, to distribute to everyone's rooms.

I also bought two drying racks on Amazon, that are set up in the laundry room for clothes that I hang vs. the dryer.

Don't know what you were looking for in terms of advice, but this is working quite well for me.

I have the same setup and I like it for the same reasons! I just don't bring the hampers down - I bring baskets up and sort the laundry upstairs, then bring down the baskets as needed. I don't have much of a laundry room, more like a closet, so I don't like having baskets hanging around in my living space.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 1:11 pm
I love these foldable baskets.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....lSrch

DREAMING

Post Sat, Apr 14 2018, 11:50 pm
Laundry goes down via a laundry bag or a garbage bag. Comes back up in a basket - a hard plastic (the soft ones don't last )

myname1

Post Sun, Apr 15 2018, 4:07 am
My mom has her laundry room downstairs and bedrooms upstairs. She always put the laundry in a dirty bath towel to take downstairs. She just held the corners so it's like a bag.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry